Anyone Got DSL?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klainmeister

Reaction score
Alright, i've had enough!!!! Comcast is too damn expensive and the service sucks!

So, i'm wondering if anyone has any experience with either qwest, at&t, or verizon DSL? What speeds should i pay for and how much of a difference does it make. There are some deals where i can get 1.5 Mbps for $20 a month or 3 Mbps for $30. Is it worth the extra 10?

Thanks guys, i just wonder how many people are also switching because of Comcast's ridiculous pricing and changes.

1.5 for $20 is a great price actually and they'll usually allow you to upgrade to the higher speed at any time. Take the slower for now and see if you get frustrated.

All cable based services tend to be really fast and really expensive. They'd really benefit from the tiered aproach like DSL providers use.

I have Qwest DSL for my internet and packaged it with DirectTV, IIRC, the DSL is about $40/mo alone with a stand-alone line (I don't have a land-line phone) for their base speed, it is fine for streaming video (mlb.tv). It works fine, never had a problem with service disconnections and the people at Qwest seems to be pretty helpful when I have had to call them.

I just switched from Comcast to AT&T DSL. I got the pro service, which, I believe is 3.0 Mbps at $24 a month. The difference in speed is almost the same; I really can't tell the difference.

The big difference is that the wireless modem I got with the DSL works MUCH better than the one I had with Comcast. In the month or so I've had it I haven't lost a connection ONCE - and that was a several times daily event with Comcast.

AT&T dsl is great.............................if you like being pissed off all the time. Daily we have random lockups. I have finally gotten so tired of reseting the connection that we are going to Verizon Fios!

We have Verizon DSL, the 3 Mbps package. The speed is OK, although it was a shock to go from cable modem speeds to DSL speeds, but I've since gotten used to it.

It hasn't been as reliable as Comcast since there have been several times when it's just stopped working for a day. And I've had it with calling tech support in India, so if it happens again we'll probably switch back to Comcast.

Well, my problem is that spitting $62 for cable that fails monthly and 14 channels is just ridiculous. I think i might try the 1.5 Mbps for now.

None of us in the house game online, some streaming video usage but we do use torrents. But that doesn't DL that fast anyway so i cant imagine it being a major concern.

DaveyBoy said:
And I've had it with calling tech support in India, so if it happens again we'll probably switch back to Comcast.

Verizon's tech support and customer service with DSL is not even good enough to be called sub-par....not that I would expect tons better from Comcast.

I've had the 1.5 from AT&T for a few years now and have been pretty happy with it. In fact I don't really remember the last problem I had with it.

Ize

Back