Anyone every brewed a double ipa with 1lb of hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timrox1212

Reaction score
Got this idea after looking at a clone for huma lupa licious by shorts. It uses something like 10oz of hops so I thought why not use a whole pound, or 16oz. My plan is to brew a 8-9% DIPA and put 10oz in the boil 1 oz every 2 mins for the last 20 mins of the boil. And then a 6oz dry hop. Was thinking all centennial. Any thoughts?

Yea I've done a lb per 5 gallons before, turned out great! Dunno about a single hop, but if I had to do it, centennial would be the choice!

i would add a pound of hops in a randall, for every 3-4 glasses of beer. could be expensive.. so what?!
(i need to make a randall)

The last batch I bottled had a pound of hops between a ten minute addition and a double whirlpool. And a 4 oz dry hop. You can smell it from across the room, its great

That is most my iipa's. Double dry hop for three or four days each. You'll be impressed.

So here is the recipe I came up with. What do you think?

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: One pound monster

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: Imperial IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.082
Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.098
Final Gravity: 1.023
ABV (standard): 9.88%
IBU (tinseth): 97.35
SRM (morey): 17.4

FERMENTABLES:
13 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Light (80.6%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
1 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (6.2%)
1 lb - German - CaraRed (6.2%)
1 lb - American - Munich - Light 10L (6.2%)
2 oz - American - Roasted Barley (0.8%)

HOPS:
2 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 34.54
2 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 28.3
2 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 20.68
2 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 11.37
2 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 2.46
6 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Dry Hop for 0 days

YEAST:
White Labs - California Ale Yeast WLP001
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 76.5%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 68 - 73 F
Fermentation Temp: 62 F
Pitch Rate: 1.25 (M cell

Not sure what you are planning on doing with the dry hopping as far as schedule is concerned (yours just says 0 days), but I would do like cjgenever said. Do two 3oz additions. I would do one with 8 days and one at 4 or 5

Sounds good, I however prefer my IPA in the 7-7.5% range instead of a DIPA. Mine has about 13oz of hops total including 8oz of dry hops for my Lagunita's Sucks clone- in my fermenter getting ready to dry hop in a few days! So, here's my thoughts:

First, increase batch size to at least 5.5g if possible, all those dry hops suck up a lot of beer! Second, maybe try continuous hopping? At each interval sit by kettle with your 2oz and drop a few pellets every 10s or so until you run out aiming to run out in 5 min. Repeat until done. Possibly save some for a flameout addition? And I like the idea of two dry hop schedules, I may try that next! Or heck, this time!

If you are going to put that much hop in there you need to dry it out. Sub some lme for dextrose or table sugar. Use a big healthy pitch of a high attenuating yeast and aerate well.

I just took a 19.1p dipa to 1.5p.Sample tastes great. I used 2 pounds of hops for a 10 gallon batch.

Back