Anyone ever prime with maple syrup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been scouring this forum for a couple days, as well as other online resources and I have a rather simple question that I can't find the answer to. ...
Both Palmer and Papazian agree on priming with 1.25 cups of maple syrup, but I can't find how much longer I can reasonably expect it to take vs priming with dextrose.
I find that with dextrose, I can drink them in as little as 5-7 days ( not ideal mind you, but drinkable)
Never primed this way, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

My only concern with syrup for priming is that the sugar content of natural maple syrup varies from tree to tree, varies based on the summer/winter prior to harvest, and how much concentration was achieved via boiling for packaging.

This variance could lead to over or under carbed bottles.

Not the same thing but I have primed with blackstrap molasses cut 50% with honey before on a molasses stout (wanted to use up the last of the jar). That took and extra two weeks to carbonate fully so about 4 weeks total.

It was tasty but probably a little over the top for most. It took months to polish off that batch verses a few weeks.

Did it with syrup I made this year, used 3/4 tsp instead of 1/2 Tsp per 450ml bottle. Carbed in normal time, tasted great.

I prime with brown sugar for a stout. That carbs up nicely and in normal time. I wouldn't expect maple syrup to take longer as long as you have your amounts right.

@MadHomeBrewer, I'm familiar with that! Brooklyn Brew Shop published a recipe book not long ago that I purchased. Pretty innovative ****e that they do! I have not as yet tried any as all their recipes are all-grain, and I do not as yet have the equipment to do such. I'm in a transition phase doing partial mash BIAB kits....😕

Most of there recipes call for honey or syrup to prime with instead of corn or cane sugar. My last few IPAs and APA, I primed with pure honey because I was inspired by Brooklyn brew shop. They came out great. Just did a all citra pale ale primed with honey again came out great. I have used carb drops in the past but my beers came out over carb for my liking. The ratios they suggest work great.

Here be the Maple Chocolate Coffee Stout I quite literally just bottled on Saturday. I know it's way too early but this is all I got in the house and this cat needed a beer!
After only 4 days it seems I've produced a gusher. Out of a 22oz bomber, probably a good 8oz foamed out..... hope it's not a trend but it tastes amazey-balls!

View attachment 1433969874119.jpg

Looks good, I have a oatmeal stout in the works. I might just add coffee and maple to it also! I've had a few gushers in the past but never nailed down the cause, it was only a couple out of the whole batch thank goodness.

My only concern with syrup for priming is that the sugar content of natural maple syrup varies from tree to tree, varies based on the summer/winter prior to harvest, and how much concentration was achieved via boiling for packaging.

This variance could lead to over or under carbed bottles.

Maple sap is boiled until it is approximately 66% sugar content. Depending on the saps original sugar content, it will make a difference on how long the boil takes and the color/flavor, not the sugar level.

Latest posts

Back