Anyone else think like I do, like "how can I use this in my setup?"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriorcoach

Reaction score
So, going into the local grocery store and I see these 3, one gallon jugs sitting by another vehicle next to the spot where I parked. My first thought was "what the sHell?" But that was pretty quickly followed by, "I bet I could use those for secondary fermenting and experiment with different hops to see what kinds of results I get." Then quickly followed by, "but I don't know what's been in there, pi--?". Of course that was quickly followed by "but oxiclean and starsan would most likely take of it." I then called myself crazy and said get in the store dummy. Of course while I was in there I thought that I might just take them if they were still there when I left. They were there when I left but I didn't take them. I forced myself to get in the car and leave without them.

So, question is, does anyone else do this dumb stuff an think like this about all kinds of different stuff they find or see? Hmm... How can I use that?View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1434804523.430717.jpg

Ha, yeah you're not the only one. That would have been a tough one for me too. Pretty much any time I'm at the grocery store, the hardware store, etc., I'm looking for unconventional items that I could re-purpose for brewing.

Pretty much any time I'm at the grocery store, the hardware store, etc., I'm looking for unconventional items that I could re-purpose for brewing.

Good to know I'm not the only one.

Many trips to the store end with this conversation:

Wife: "What are you going to use that for?"

Me: "This is great Honey, I'll be able to ..."

Wife: "It's more beer stuff, isn't it?"

Me: "Yes, I can ..."

Wife: "Just put it down with your stuff, okay?"

Me: "Yes, dear" Pulls out phone to call brother and brag about new find.

:D

WHAT?!?! you left them, guarantee they would of been coming home with me lol

I can't go to the grocery store or hardware store or even Wal-Mart without looking at stuff and thinking how I can incorporate it in my home-brew setup or how I could ferment it.....

Oh yeah, but I promise you I'm further over the deep edge than most are because I not only do that for brewing but fishing, woodworking, bicycling, and any other interest I happen to have at that period in time.

Oh, you'd be no good in the bass fishing world then.... I once bought three rods and brought them in the house when she wasn't home. I put them behind my computer desk where she could easily see them-- if she simply moved a file cabinet, a couple of other things and pulled the desk out a little. Several months later, as tournament season approached, I brought them out one by one and when she asked if they were new I said, "oh, no...I've had these for months."
Wasn't a real lie at that point....
I've also learned not to take her when I go shopping. She's a negative thinker and never sees the real reason why I "need" this or that.

Oh, you'd be no good in the bass fishing world then.... I once bought three rods and brought them in the house when she wasn't home. I put them behind my computer desk where she could easily see them-- if she simply moved a file cabinet, a couple of other things and pulled the desk out a little. Several months later, as tournament season approached, I brought them out one by one and when she asked if they were new I said, "oh, no...I've had these for months."
Wasn't a real lie at that point....
I've also learned not to take her when I go shopping. She's a negative thinker and never sees the real reason why I "need" this or that. She's been to the home brew supply store once.

Yea, fishing stuff bypasses the house and goes straight to the shed. Brewing stuff is in the basement though. Tougher to hide!

Back