Anyone else not crazy about New Belgium?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My sarcastic response came from you telling me that I didn't even understand what I was saying after I dared offer my opinion in your thread. The civility is much appreciated. I'll certainly avoid your posts in the future.

Well done. Can the civility and say what you think. Don't beat around the bush trying to be clever, it only serves to annoy. You have to be the snobbiest person I've ever posted with on here.

Well we're both in agreement on that. How about you crack a homebrew right now (I'm drinking one of my pale ales) and we call it a night?

First post on here, I just finished one of the 1554s. I thought it was a pretty good beer. Had a very choc, malty flavor. Also left a hoppy sensation on your tongue and roof of your mouth. Not much a hoppy flavor, but a sensation. It was either the 1554 or the moose drool (hadn't tried either). The 1554 just seemed interesting. Although after one I didn't feel like another. hmm, strange.

I've drank many a Fat Tire instead of a BMC. It's a decent quaffable microbrew. Not spectacular, but definately not terrible. I'd also drink just about any NB over any Sam Adams 9 times out of 10. Their popularity (without needing nearly the mass marketing that BMC or even SA put out) speaks for itself.

I don't taste the same 'thing' in all their beers.

MeatyPortion,
I took a tour @ NB and the tour guide had the opinion that not all beers are for all people and if you don't like a beer that's fine, there's another beer (or brewery) that will suit you. Of course he said this as we were about to taste a Brett-soured beer (which I did NOT like one bit).

I just spent some time in Colorado and tried a few Deschutes beers and didn't like any of them. They just don't suit me but I won't say they are 'bad' per se, even though they taste bad to me. Taste is subjective and a personal thing.

Goinbigger,
It was prob the Moose Drool. 1554 (allegedly, per the brewer @ NB) has no finishing hops at all. I got to try MD just recently and loved it.

I've drank many a Fat Tire instead of a BMC. It's a decent quaffable microbrew. Not spectacular, but definately not terrible. I'd also drink just about any NB over any Sam Adams 9 times out of 10. Their popularity (without needing nearly the mass marketing that BMC or even SA put out) speaks for itself.

Being popular without a mass marketing campaign doesn't mean much. In the Chicago Area, Old Style is one of the most popular beers, and the do NO advertising...and it's good for watering plants only, IMO.

For the record, in regards to the OP, the only New Belgium that struck me as drinkable is the 1554...which I first had in a Italian restaurant. The first time that I had a Fat Tire, I was with another beer geek buddy, and we both had the same reaction, "What's the big deal?"

There are so many beers that are better, and cheaper. For example, Bridgeport isn't my favorite brewery, but the Hop Czar is $6.99 a sixer, same as NB beers.

Is the hop czar good? It was on sale this weekend when I was in Seattle and I turned it down in favor of something else because they were braging on the bottle that it had 2 lbs of hops per barrel and I thought that is pretty damn crappy for a IIPA when for example firestone walkers IPA (not IIPA) has 4lbs of hops per barrel. I figured it was going to be mostly bitter with not much aroma and nose to it. So how is it?

the transatlantique kriek from new belgium/frank boon is fabulous. i pretty much agree with not elbowing people out of the way for a fat tire, abbey, tripel, wit, etc.

Being popular without a mass marketing campaign doesn't mean much. In the Chicago Area, Old Style is one of the most popular beers, and the do NO advertising...and it's good for watering plants only, IMO.

Old Style does no advertising? Theres like 3 bars in the whole city without some sort of lighted old style sign. Thats advertising.

Old Style does no advertising? Theres like 3 bars in the whole city without some sort of lighted old style sign. Thats advertising.

I'm referring to media advertising. Other than MAYBE radio broadcasts of baseball games (I honestly can't tell you if they still do or not. I haven't listened to a game on the radio in years!) when was the last time you saw a TV commercial, or heard one on the radio?

I also think Fat Tire has gone down hill over the last 10 years or so. It is not the same Fat Tire I had in the "James" (now the fake Irish Pub)on Peal St in Boulder. I do like Blue Paddle, Skinny Dip and I love 2 Degrees Below. I tried the Ranger IPA and I do like it a lot. It is not amazing but it is not swill either. Left Hand SawTooth...now that is a damn fine beer

I also think Fat Tire has gone down hill over the last 10 years or so. It is not the same Fat Tire I had in the "James" (now the fake Irish Pub)on Peal St in Boulder. I do like Blue Paddle, Skinny Dip and I love 2 Degrees Below. I tried the Ranger IPA and I do like it a lot. It is not amazing but it is not swill either. Left Hand SawTooth...now that is a damn fine beer

I just think all their beer tastes dirty, like autolysis. It all has the same dirty brothy taste.

(1554 being the exception, although its probably just all the dark malts covering the taste)

I just think all their beer tastes dirty, like autolysis. It all has the same dirty brothy taste.

(1554 being the exception, although its probably just all the dark malts covering the taste)

I wonder if it's their 'plate boiler' (or whatever it's called) that is adding this similar flavor others have noticed? I haven't noticed it but I only drink it when I'm on vacation. Their kettle has these plates in it that a thin layer of wort passes over and boils, the whole kettle doesn't boil all at once. Supposedly this saves a lot of energy (NB is one of the 'greenest' breweries around).

1554 doesn't have that much dark malts and imo isn't very roasty at all.

I don't taste the same 'thing' in all their beers.

MeatyPortion,
I took a tour @ NB and the tour guide had the opinion that not all beers are for all people and if you don't like a beer that's fine, there's another beer (or brewery) that will suit you. Of course he said this as we were about to taste a Brett-soured beer (which I did NOT like one bit).

I just spent some time in Colorado and tried a few Deschutes beers and didn't like any of them. They just don't suit me but I won't say they are 'bad' per se, even though they taste bad to me. Taste is subjective and a personal thing.

Goinbigger,
It was prob the Moose Drool. 1554 (allegedly, per the brewer @ NB) has no finishing hops at all. I got to try MD just recently and loved it.

I think you misunderstood me, I have never tried Moose Drool, I was referring to the 1554. When I was at the store, I was trying to decide between those two. Next time I will probably try the Moose Drool. :mug:

Mighty Arrow & the 1554 are pretty good to me, without a doubt. As for Fat Tire, I used drink my fair share of it.

If I'm out somwhere and it's on tap I'll usually order it (either that or Sierra, depending). In my area the other "standard fare" choices at bars are usually generally along the lines of BMC, Red Hook, Newcastle and Gordon Biersch Marzen. Obviously depending on the place there could be something a little more off the beaten path of beer. However, if I'm buying a pint with a aforementioned selection, it'll be Fat Tire (or Sierra) every time.

It's a fine choice if your faced with restaurant that only stocks BMC and Fat Tire, but otherwise there are better brews for sure.

I don't know if they use biscuit malt in everything they brew, it sure tastes like the do. And I can concur with many other posters about it tasting watered down. All of the NB beers I've tasted (and being in Colorado thats most except the soured beers) seem lacking in depth and character.

I agree, fat tire tastes like dirty biscuits and most of their other beers have a hint of the same flavor that I can't stand in fat tire. I will drink one if there is nothing else around, but no more. I do like the 2below for a winter ale, but other than that, I won't buy any New Belgium beer.

I used to be big fan having discovered New Belgium visiting Colorado way back in 1994, at that time they were still distributing beer via the brewmaster's station wagon. I recall loving Fat Tire back then and the Cherry ale they had at the time.

Moving forward to today, I just picked up a six of Abbey Ale and Trippel, neither has impressed me. The Abbey Ale is ok, but really not on par with the 'real deal'; just didn't really enjoy it much.

The Trippel had overwhelming DMS both in aroma and taste. I was really surprised that I could detect DMS in their product. I used to love the Trippel, but seems either my tastes of changed, or their product has changed.

Oh, and yes, Fat Tire is overrated. Again, loved it back in the day, but now just seems to be a mediocre amber ale.

I used to be big fan having discovered New Belgium visiting Colorado way back in 1994, at that time they were still distributing beer via the brewmaster's station wagon. I recall loving Fat Tire back then and the Cherry ale they had at the time.

Moving forward to today, I just picked up a six of Abbey Ale and Trippel, neither has impressed me. The Abbey Ale is ok, but really not on par with the 'real deal'; just didn't really enjoy it much.

The Trippel had overwhelming DMS both in aroma and taste. I was really surprised that I could detect DMS in their product. I used to love the Trippel, but seems either my tastes of changed, or their product has changed.

Oh, and yes, Fat Tire is overrated. Again, loved it back in the day, but now just seems to be a mediocre amber ale.

Yep I looked forward to having a Fat Tire as well. Did last Oct. when I was in AZ. Did not like it. Def overrated.

But the Ranger IPA now that is a different story. Very Tasty.

Yep. Fat Tire is probably my least favorite from NB. 1554 and Ranger are my favs and my wife really likes the Tripel. Or is the Abbey? Meh. I guess I'm not too good at the 'obey' thing. haha

Fat Tire in the can is pretty great for camping or rafting. They just started canning some of their other brews this past year, which is cool. However, when camping (and not driving, shooting, or rafting) I would rather go with the Old Chub from Oskar Blues.

Fat Tire is one I can take or leave. If someone is offering one to me, I won't turn it down, but I am not going to spend the money to buy a 6-pack. To me, it is lacking in flavor.

Is the hop czar good? It was on sale this weekend when I was in Seattle and I turned it down in favor of something else because they were braging on the bottle that it had 2 lbs of hops per barrel and I thought that is pretty damn crappy for a IIPA when for example firestone walkers IPA (not IIPA) has 4lbs of hops per barrel. I figured it was going to be mostly bitter with not much aroma and nose to it. So how is it?

Hop Czar is not good IMO. Its bitter, but otherwise lacking.

NB is not a favorite brewery of mine. The Abbey, Ranger, and 1554 are decent for the price and availability, though not outstanding. Generally I can find something better for close to the same price... One of my first micros was fat tire, which I used to like, but honestly have not had one in years.

When I moved to Colorado in 1996 this along with Tommyknocker Maple nut Brown were two of the first beers I was introduced to, they were both fantastic! Even 5 years ago when NB made their move east I thought Fat Tire was still an excellent beer (Drank some in Pittsburg, Texas of all places). When they moved into Wisconsin, I remember being so excited about being able to get Fat Tire again and I also remember the let down after that first 6 pack, it just wasn't the same. Maybe my taste have changed. maybe the beer has changed. Whatever the case may be it's just not the same.

When I moved to Colorado in 1996 this along with Tommyknocker Maple nut Brown were two of the first beers I was introduced to, they were both fantastic! Even 5 years ago when NB made their move east I thought Fat Tire was still an excellent beer (Drank some in Pittsburg, Texas of all places). When they moved into Wisconsin, I remember being so excited about being able to get Fat Tire again and I also remember the let down after that first 6 pack, it just wasn't the same. Maybe my taste have changed. maybe the beer has changed. Whatever the case may be it's just not the same.

That Tommyknocker Maple Nut Brown is awesome! I have a buddy who went to school in Fort Collins and orders a case of that stuff periodically. Great beer. But yeah, the NB kind of reminds me of Henry Weinhard's now.

I'm with you on that. Fat Tire blows. However, I haven't had enough of their beers to know if all of them are bad.

The only issue Ihave with the new "sour" series is that it is SO darn expensive!!
Here in SoCal they are charging something like $12 for a 22oz bottle.

Shoot, I can get Rodenbach for less than that!! and I'll take one of those over a fake belgain ANY DAY.

That Tommyknocker Maple Nut Brown is awesome! I have a buddy who went to school in Fort Collins and orders a case of that stuff periodically. Great beer. But yeah, the NB kind of reminds me of Henry Weinhard's now.

Have you hade the Imperial Nut Brown? Awesome!

I honestly think that new bel is yet another "craft beer" company that shifts their beers more toward the mainstream in an attempt to appeal to a larger audience. Im a small business owner... I get it. In contrast, I think it's imperative that you continue to push the boundaries of conventional wisdom and that which is considered normal to create great beer! A strong marketing campaign and the manipulation of distribution dosent make your beer taste better!!

I like 1554 and the Frambozen they released this winter. The Abbey Ale and 2Below are ok beers every once in a while. The Lips of Faith series are ok but I haven't bought any of them more than once. I don't buy NB beers too often anymore just because I can usually find something better for around the same price.

Fat Tire is definitely a gateway beer. It's not great but it's not retched. I would drink it over BMC if it's the "dark beer" option at a bar or out of a can on the river or lake.

Back