Anyone else Geeky enough to watch LHC First Beam?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Large Hadron Collider.

They're looking for the Higgs Boson.

But there's also a slight chance of destroying the universe. I'll be damned if I sleep through that.

I googled it - looks pretty interesting. Just don't type 'google' into google and the universe is safe.

Hah, I hadn't seen the rap before, it's funny, a bit weak on explaining why Higgs Boson is so important, but good stuff none the less. Sorry about the throw away title with no explanation, I was leaving work.

I have a friend that pretty much ends every statement with "and destroying the Earth". when we *discuss the Collider "first beam". Really, it's not like a micro black hole created by the collision would be stable or anything. :D

Not that we sit around discussing the LHC...really!

But there's also a slight chance of destroying the universe.

No, here are hundreds of natural events in the power range and higher every day within the Earth (and Sun and planets). If small, stable black holes could be formed, they would have and there would not be a single planet or star in the universe.

There's a slight possibility that the damage would merely be limited to our own galaxy.

/obscure?

No, here are hundreds of natural events in the power range and higher every day within the Earth (and Sun and planets). If small, stable black holes could be formed, they would have and there would not be a single planet or star in the universe.

Apparently my tongue-in-cheek is busted.

To answer the OP's question.....No! Nobody else is geeky enough to watch that!

Now that I've got that settled, time to go dole out some swirlies to other nerds. ;)

Now that I've got that settled, time to go dole out some swirlies to other nerds.

You joke, but have you ever been on the receiving end of a swirly? You don't forget that. Ever.

We'll see who has the last laugh when we nerds turn on the LHC and the miniature black holes kill everybody. Don't piss us off.

You joke, but have you ever been on the receiving end of a swirly? You don't forget that. Ever.

We'll see who has the last laugh when we nerds turn on the LHC and the miniature black holes kill everybody. Don't piss us off.

The prof said it best:

Professor Farnsworth said:
Damn straight! Today, the mad scientist can't get a doomsday device, tomorrow it's the mad grad student. Where will it end?

Back