Anyone else brewing in the snow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kblankenship11

Reaction score
My garage looks like a sauna with all the steam coming out. Hopefully my neighbors don't think I'm doing anything suspicious... Gotta love upstate NY!

image-603762662.jpg

Just did a 5 gallon batch in the garage yesterday. 21 in Rochester, NY when I was brewing

All winter long (which is about four months now with a batch about every 2-3 weeks). I am just outside of my garage though because my wife and sister in law ( who we share our duplex with) are not ok with the propane going in the garage, even with the door open.

Not anymore. I enjoy brewing in the winter, but the clean up kills me. My equipment is too big to clean inside, so I'm forced to clean outside. Screw that. So now, I'm a squirrel. I brew like crazy in the fall and stock up. Beginning of December I had 8 beers kegged and waiting. I also have supplies to brew if a warm weekend appears (and it has). Sorta like when I got my first motorcycle. I drove that thing and didn't care if it was cold or hot. Now....I'm a fair weather rider for sure. :D

Same here - tons of steam, standing out there in boots and snowpants, thermos full of hot coffee, etc. It's not so bad.

Yes I do.Every Jan thru Mar.I shoot for 60 gal by the end of march.I`m only at 28
gal so far this year.We have not had much snow in Chi this year.Last week my IC
froze up before I could blow it out with my compressor.I do enjoy brewing in the
snow though -gets me out of the house

Cheers

98496d1359891798-totally-random-picture-thread-image-3834165834.jpg

I had already planned on brewing that morning, but we were also only forecasted to get a dusting overnight. I couldn't let weather have the satisfaction of keeping me from brewing.

Not even close to coldest night, but you litterally could not get more than a 3 gallon amount of water to boil without a lid on....

I've started putting my starsan spray bottle and all the quick releases in a plastic bag, and then into the mash tun with the warm spent grain. Y'know. To keep it from freezing. Because that's a pain in the butt.

looneybomber said:
I've only once in my life been in a thundersnow, lightning and all. I thought it was the apocalypse.

It was pretty weird. I saw the flash and thought my neighbors were taking pics of the snow, then the Boom. I'm thinking the beer will be named "thundersnow breakfast stout".

I brewed in the snow this past Sunday. It was awesome. I like brewing when there is snow because there is a cheap and easy ice source for my Immersion Chiller that I use a recirc. pump on. I just fill a big bin with snow, throw the pump in and add a little water and I'm off to chilling. I just keep going and grabbing buckets of snow and throw them in the bin when the old snow melts. I'm gonna miss that easy chilling in the summer.

Back