Anyone else brewing in the snow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kblankenship11

Reaction score
My garage looks like a sauna with all the steam coming out. Hopefully my neighbors don't think I'm doing anything suspicious... Gotta love upstate NY!

image-603762662.jpg

Just did a 5 gallon batch in the garage yesterday. 21 in Rochester, NY when I was brewing

All winter long (which is about four months now with a batch about every 2-3 weeks). I am just outside of my garage though because my wife and sister in law ( who we share our duplex with) are not ok with the propane going in the garage, even with the door open.

Not anymore. I enjoy brewing in the winter, but the clean up kills me. My equipment is too big to clean inside, so I'm forced to clean outside. Screw that. So now, I'm a squirrel. I brew like crazy in the fall and stock up. Beginning of December I had 8 beers kegged and waiting. I also have supplies to brew if a warm weekend appears (and it has). Sorta like when I got my first motorcycle. I drove that thing and didn't care if it was cold or hot. Now....I'm a fair weather rider for sure. :D

Same here - tons of steam, standing out there in boots and snowpants, thermos full of hot coffee, etc. It's not so bad.

Yes I do.Every Jan thru Mar.I shoot for 60 gal by the end of march.I`m only at 28
gal so far this year.We have not had much snow in Chi this year.Last week my IC
froze up before I could blow it out with my compressor.I do enjoy brewing in the
snow though -gets me out of the house

Cheers

98496d1359891798-totally-random-picture-thread-image-3834165834.jpg

I had already planned on brewing that morning, but we were also only forecasted to get a dusting overnight. I couldn't let weather have the satisfaction of keeping me from brewing.

Not even close to coldest night, but you litterally could not get more than a 3 gallon amount of water to boil without a lid on....

I've started putting my starsan spray bottle and all the quick releases in a plastic bag, and then into the mash tun with the warm spent grain. Y'know. To keep it from freezing. Because that's a pain in the butt.

looneybomber said:
I've only once in my life been in a thundersnow, lightning and all. I thought it was the apocalypse.

It was pretty weird. I saw the flash and thought my neighbors were taking pics of the snow, then the Boom. I'm thinking the beer will be named "thundersnow breakfast stout".

I brewed in the snow this past Sunday. It was awesome. I like brewing when there is snow because there is a cheap and easy ice source for my Immersion Chiller that I use a recirc. pump on. I just fill a big bin with snow, throw the pump in and add a little water and I'm off to chilling. I just keep going and grabbing buckets of snow and throw them in the bin when the old snow melts. I'm gonna miss that easy chilling in the summer.

Latest posts

Back