Anyone done the 1868 Younger No. 3?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trail

Oh great, it's that guy again.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know it is an old post. I brewed the 1879 version yesterday. My og was 1.086 with 23l in the the fermenter so I don't know what went wrong there. I'll see how it goes but I don't think it will be 5.16% .
1516523512723.jpeg

when I plugged the hop schedule into Beersmith I got 1.076 OG and 94.1 IBUs! Now, I love me some barleywine, but I can't say I've seen anything hopped so high without a higher OG. Has anyone brewed this? Is there something wrong with my math? Please advise!

Welcome to the world of proper Scottish ales, although at 94IBU you were under-hopping it, looks like you weren't allowing for different alpha values in your hops?

I know it is an old post. I brewed the 1879 version yesterday. My og was 1.086 with 23l in the the fermenter so I don't know what went wrong there.

From memory most of Ron's recipes assume a fairly conservative brewhouse efficiency of 70%, so it's not hard to get a higher efficiency particularly if you have a reasonably-efficient sparging regime.

Welcome to the world of proper Scottish ales, although at 94IBU you were under-hopping it, looks like you weren't allowing for different alpha values in your hops?

From memory most of Ron's recipes assume a fairly conservative brewhouse efficiency of 70%, so it's not hard to get a higher efficiency particularly if you have a reasonably-efficient sparging regime.

In 2015 I was quite new to AG brewing and didn't understand different AA values. The situation has improved somewhat since then. ;)

I'll have to give the recipe a try sometime. Still haven't gotten around to it!

Back