Anyone Competing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtupper

Reaction score
Know there are mixed emotions here on competitions, but IMHO I like the fun and anticipation of waitin on score sheets to see how well I am doing on hitting my targets. Anyone will say a free beer is good but I like a certified outlook on my bottles.

Therefore, just wondering if anybody was entering any comps coming up? Thought it might be fun to talk to other entries and see how our group does on the circuit. I don't have anything ready yet, but I'm thinking of entering some in January with a flavored stout, Irish red, and a helles.

Anyone else?

I don't make a habit out of it, but I enter a few a year. I tried to enter one recently... (there's a whole thread about it on here).

Coming up is the only real local competition for me, the Homebrew Alley comp run annually by the NYC Homebrewers Guild. I'm entering my porter and possibly the Berliner Weisse I'm working on now.

Nothing coming up, but I just did FOAM and Lucette Brewing Company and did pretty well in both. I'm considering Chicago's 2012 Winter Brew Competition if I have something ready in time.

While comps can be fun and are a good way of getting feedback they are quite subjective and limited to the style guidelines.

I just finished the FOAM myself and had bottling issues(oxidation fro bottling from kegs) but I did pull a 34 on a lemon ale. I'm thinking of entering the wizard of saaz and maybe Chicago

I just posted a thread earlier today about entering my first competition. I want to enter a Russian Imperial Stout that I think tastes great but it doesn't meet the style guidelines for ABV, but I'm going to enter it anyway and hope for some feedback. I want to enter in the Upper Mississippi Mashout or the Boneyard Brew Off. Or both.

What comps are coming around soon? I have a beer or two i might like to throw in the mix.. I have judged national sanctioned comps, but never actually entered one LOL A few club comps, but nothing national...

I just entered the FOAM cup in November and ive only been brewing for about a year. Entered into the Russian Imperial catagory and i scored a 37.5. Its definatly better feedback than your buddies saying.. "YEA this beer is real good!" Ill be entering alot more when i return from this deployment.. kinda gives me some time to make some new recipies :)

[Bo][Rn][Ez];3541828 said:
Do you just mail in your beers or what's the story with that?

Yes. If you find a competition that you want to enter, go to their website (listed on the competition schedule site) and read the instructions. They often have bottle tags that you print out, and attach to the bottles with a rubber band, then you pay the registration fees, pack the bottles and send them to the specified address.

I'm entering the Sam Adams Patriot Homebrew Contest, entries are due by December 15th, and its only open to residents of the New England states. Here's a link if you're interested

Sam Adams Patriot Hombrew Contest

I like the idea of the competitions, I think it would be great if we had a forum on here that was about anything competition related, upcoming comps, winning competition recipes, score sheets, competition brewing techniques, a sort of no limits to make excellent beer forum.

Buna_Bere said:
I like the idea of the competitions, I think it would be great if we had a forum on here that was about anything competition related, upcoming comps, winning competition recipes, score sheets, competition brewing techniques, a sort of no limits to make excellent beer forum.

^^^^______I agree that would be great! Moderators????

I'm entering the Sam Adams Patriot Homebrew Contest, entries are due by December 15th, and its only open to residents of the New England states. Here's a link if you're interested

Sam Adams Patriot Hombrew Contest

This is the only thing that sucks with this competition if you win....the homebrewer will receive a one-time non-negotiable royalty of $2000.00. The Grand Champion of the Contest agrees to fully-disclose the complete recipe to The Boston Beer Company and assign to The Boston Beer Company any and all commercial and intellectual property rights to the winning beer, subject only to the Grand Champion’s right to receive the $2000.00 one-time royalty. By entering the Contest, the Grand Champion grants The Boston Beer Company and its agencies the right to the Grand Champion’s name, likeness, picture, signature, voice, audio and video recordings and biographical information in any manner or media whatsoever (whether now known or hereafter devised) anywhere in the world in perpetuity for the purpose of advertising and trade, without further compensation, unless prohibited by law

u get 2k and they get over 2mil!!!

I started entering competitions in the last three or four months because I decided to enter every beer I brew into a comp to get better feedback. Won 7 (4 gold, 2 silver, 1 bronze) medals so far, one competition left for the year.

It has been fun and helpful. I just brew like normal but make sure to set aside a couple bottles to send away for a comp, look at the schedule, pick one, and send the beer on its way.

I think it would be great if we had a forum on here that was about anything competition related, upcoming comps, winning competition recipes, score sheets, competition brewing techniques, a sort of no limits to make excellent beer forum.

There is THIS forum here. It is toward the bottom of the board so maybe that is why it is not noticed so much. I hope that helps!

I entered my first competition which was this past weekend. I know I did not win anything but I am very excited to get my score sheets in! :ban: I will certainly be entering more competitions in the future.

Just to be a total smart a$$. This post has almost everything in it that specifically doesn't happen as a result of competitions, and things that people don't like about competitions.

winning competition recipes- Virtually no one will post their winning recipe.
competition brewing techniques- see above. These will leak out, but only slowly.
no limits to make excellent beer- this is/can be interpreted by non-comp types that comp brewers go above and beyond what the lowly non-comp brewer with his 'limits' can do.

For proof, just look at Chili cook-offs, BBQ comps, bass fishing tournaments, etc. If you fish, try fishing a lake while a tournament is going on. It is amazing what they think their $100 entry buys them over the lowly weekend fisherman (who may have driven 8 hours and spent more in gas than the entry fee).

Even commercial brewing, is a good example. There are some breweries that are open about their techniques, but the more 'competitive' ones are tight lipped.

One interesting note about chili and BBQ comps is that the cookers don't make what they think is their best product, or even what they personally like, they make what they think the judges will like that year. "Cooking for the judges" as it is called. Not sure if that would ever happen with beer, but... Has anybody noticed that at GABF breweries submit beer that is actually the next closest style, but still fits that style? This 'differentiates' the beer from others that are completely 'to style'.

That said, if you don't have any friends with good palates who will actually tell you if you beer sucks, or what could be improved, comps and judges can be useful. The only problem seems to be the wide range of judge expertise. Just look at the ***** threads about comp score sheets.

I am a competing KCBS BBQ cook, a state champion and 3x national qualifier in CASI Chili Competitions. I have recently just found the joy of competing in Beer as well.

I have to disagree with you somewhat sir. If you are a person who competes in these events you are not in it because of the validation you get from a judge. Your in it because of the elements of surprise. The anticipation and the feedback. If you take a competition to heart you have missed the reason for the competitions IMHO. A competition I not the world series or Super Bowl. It's a pick up game in a dark alley between friends because your 40 years old Nd just wanted to play Damn!t.

Do me a favor, if you are new to the competings of BBQ, Chili, beer, or anything else go get em. But please remember a competition should be fun. It should be exciting, and build memories for a lifetime. I recently sent in a beer for the FOAM cup. When I saw 614 entries I thought I was smoked. My average lemon blonde scored 34. I was estatic. No medal. No trophy. But I didn't care, it was exciting.

*steps off soapbox*

False, all the winners of the NHC post their recipes. I believe most homebrew comps require the winner to provide the recipe
competition brewing techniques- see above. These will leak out, but only slowly.

Jamil Zainasheff. Period.

Even commercial brewing, is a good example. There are some breweries that are open about their techniques, but the more 'competitive' ones are tight lipped.

Who? Very few breweries are tight lipped. Take Firestone Walker for example. they won Best Mid-Size brewery for the last 3-4 years at GABF and 3 out of the last 4 at the World Beer Cup. Best IPA, best Double IPA, etc, etc. Matt Brylindson is completely open with all his recipes and techniques. Would like the recipe for Union Jack or Double Jack? Dogfish Head is very open as well. Vinnie from Russian River literally handed out recipes for Pliny at the NHC a few years ago, and as the recipe evolved over the years, he gave us the updates. Lagunitas, Avery, Bell's, Sierra Nevada, Deschutes, Surly, etc. I can't think of a top-tier brewery that isn't open with their recipes.

Now i'm sure there are plenty of small micros out there, that for some reason feel their recipe is so good that someone will rip it off, but in reality, brewers are very generous.

To the OPs question. This is a scarce time for BJCP competitions with the holidays. Come spring and summer there are TONS of comps. I did enter a comp out in Temecula, but that's about it until spring.

I am a competing KCBS BBQ cook, a state champion and 3x national qualifier in CASI Chili Competitions. I have recently just found the joy of competing in Beer as well.

I have to disagree with you somewhat sir. If you are a person who competes in these events you are not in it because of the validation you get from a judge. Your in it because of the elements of surprise. The anticipation and the feedback. If you take a competition to heart you have missed the reason for the competitions IMHO. A competition I not the world series or Super Bowl. It's a pick up game in a dark alley between friends because your 40 years old Nd just wanted to play Damn!t.

Do me a favor, if you are new to the competings of BBQ, Chili, beer, or anything else go get em. But please remember a competition should be fun. It should be exciting, and build memories for a lifetime. I recently sent in a beer for the FOAM cup. When I saw 614 entries I thought I was smoked. My average lemon blonde scored 34. I was estatic. No medal. No trophy. But I didn't care, it was exciting.

*steps off soapbox*
My company sponsored 2 teams that have combined for 3 or 4 wins and several 2nd places at the Houston Rodeo which is considered the world championship for brisket. I used to help out with the cooking, and those guys wouldn't show me everything they did, or even some of their relatives. They would disappear into the trailer for "secret" additions. When they would cook for themselves, their stuff was much different, and better I thought.

Chili, please.
"Lots of folks cook their favorite recipe [in a competition] and walk away disgruntled. You have to understand what the judges are looking for," says Dan Bauer, an Alexandria-based chili cook who placed second at Terlingua in 1995 and '96 out of a field of 275 cooks.

The winners at chili seem not to be so secretive, at least the TICC winners. I think that may have to do with the first winner(s) releasing their recipes. Trying to get the exact recipe out of them prior to that is different.

Some people like competing, others don't. But to say people who compete aren't doing it hoping to win, and don't care what the judges opinion was is strange. Or, maybe they just like to go on forums and toot their horn about the score a judge just gave them.

I entered a local brew-fest here in September. Only 30 entries, didn't think I'd have a chance, placed third, only because 1st and second was the same person. I'm hooked! can't wait to do it again. Don't really care that I win, I like to formulate my own recipes and see how they stand up in competition.

False, all the winners of the NHC post their recipes. I believe most homebrew comps require the winner to provide the recipe
I highly doubt that most would give up a secret process, or maybe even an ingredient if they felt it was what gave them the winning edge. It is the nature of competition.

Jamil Zainasheff. Period.
That is one person. I consider him an out-lier anyway. He is like the TICC winners who give out their recipe post-win. Once you win the big prize, things change. He also has a vested interest in appearing open since he publishes books about brewing. It wouldn't be good marketing to be tight lipped about brewing techniques if you have a book about it on the shelves.

I highly doubt if there were a competition forum on HBT, and if someone discovered a new technique that consistently 'wow'd' the judges they would release that knowledge prior to squeezing all the wins they could out of it.

Who? Very few breweries are tight lipped. Take Firestone Walker for example. they won Best Mid-Size brewery for the last 3-4 years at GABF and 3 out of the last 4 at the World Beer Cup. Best IPA, best Double IPA, etc, etc. Matt Brylindson is completely open with all his recipes and techniques. Would like the recipe for Union Jack or Double Jack? Dogfish Head is very open as well. Vinnie from Russian River literally handed out recipes for Pliny at the NHC a few years ago, and as the recipe evolved over the years, he gave us the updates. Lagunitas, Avery, Bell's, Sierra Nevada, Deschutes, Surly, etc. I can't think of a top-tier brewery that isn't open with their recipes.
I didn't say "breweries who enter competitions", I said "competitive breweries". Think business world, not comps. The ones looking at world domination tend be tight lipped. I saw an Anchor Steam tour, and the guy obviously tossed in hop oil, but wouldn't fess up to it, whatever it was, and called it a 'secret'. The breweries who are happy with their volume/market share; sell all they can brew anyway (like the ones you listed); or are just plain nice non-competitive people are a different breed.

Case in point- Several breweries now bottle with different yeast to prevent other brewers from getting it, and BMC are notoriously secretive about process.

Now i'm sure there are plenty of small micros out there, that for some reason feel their recipe is so good that someone will rip it off, but in reality, brewers are very generous.
I have encountered this locally, and it is strange as they really have no rational reason to be secretive. Unless they have world domination on their minds, I guess.

Im just saying the fact that you get disgruntled over not winning is pure ridiculous. Most enjoy the competition, not the results.

And FWIW I did not start this thread to here your thoughts on why we shouldn't compete I started it for those who enjoy competing to talk about when and where and how you've done. In my view there are plenty of *trash the competition* threads out there. If you don't like competing fine but take your problems elsewhere. I want a tread to discuss with those who do and most of all enjoy competing!

Thank you and goodbye!

Im just saying the fact that you get disgruntled over not winning is pure ridiculous. Most enjoy the competition, not the results.

I don't get disgruntled, or seek the approval of judges.

And FWIW I did not start this thread to here your thoughts on why we shouldn't compete I started it for those who enjoy competing to talk about when and where and how you've done. In my view there are plenty of *trash the competition* threads out there. If you don't like competing fine but take your problems elsewhere. I want a tread to discuss with those who do and most of all enjoy competing!

You could have ignored my post (in general discussions BTW) that was in response to someone else's post, and not trashed it instead. When HBT splits into the competition and non-competition sites, I promise to stay on my side.

I have entered several comps and just recently was a steward in a local comp (worked my behind off). I have been consistently impressed at the hard work done by all the folks who sponsor and work any competition from the sponsors to the stewards to the judges. It is not easy work and sometimes your entry may be given a relatively subjective judgement, it is an honest judgement.

My hat goes off to all who make competitions happen, I will continue to enter for feedback and one day maybe I can pat myself on the back when my beers get good enough. I highly encourage all who have the desire to participate in competitions.

This would make a great first thread for a Competition Brewing forum hosted here on the best homebrew website there is HBT.

I have been consistently impressed at the hard work done by all the folks who sponsor and work any competition from the sponsors to the stewards to the judges.

Couldn't agree more. It's a ton of work to put on a competition. I encourage anyone who gets the opportunity to volunteer to work one. It's a great experience.

Yes. If you find a competition that you want to enter, go to their website (listed on the competition schedule site) and read the instructions. They often have bottle tags that you print out, and attach to the bottles with a rubber band, then you pay the registration fees, pack the bottles and send them to the specified address.

Thanks for the info. I might have to try out a couple competitions.

I entered in 1 comp, still waiting for my score sheets that are 3 months old and probably lost forever. I know I did not win...lol.

At any rate there is another competition coming up that I am entering into with a few different beers into. It is a non-BJCP comp and has easy to follow guidelines/scoring that anyone could judge a beer with.

Both of the comps have a reoccurring theme, I am planning on/was at the social/awards ceremony portion. Even if no one likes my beer enough to score it well I will have had fun going to the event and socializing with other home brewers.

To anyone out there that is hording a secret recipe/process on the off chance they go pro, It makes no difference in the world if you do share because a brewer makes the beer not a recipe/process. Not to mention there is the entire "scaling" thing...lol.

OP you reminded me, I went ahead and entered the 2012 Chicago Winter Brew Competition after reading the post! :)

Funny--I've never thought of entering a competition, but this thread has intrigued me. It would be nice to get some feedback from BJCP-trained judges. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be much going on in VA. I think I'll enter the March contest in NC. Exciting!

Airborneguy said:
I don't make a habit out of it, but I enter a few a year. I tried to enter one recently... (there's a whole thread about it on here).

Coming up is the only real local competition for me, the Homebrew Alley comp run annually by the NYC Homebrewers Guild. I'm entering my porter and possibly the Berliner Weisse I'm working on now.

How is that berliner weisse? That's the one you did at the performance event no boil right?

no limits to make excellent beer- this is/can be interpreted by non-comp types that comp brewers go above and beyond what the lowly non-comp brewer with his 'limits' can do.

I've entered nine competitions this year. All but NHC were in WA state. Of those nine, I've had six best of show placements. In the NHC, I sent 3 beers to the second round. I am active in two brew clubs and always more than happy to share recipes, discuss techniques, etc. In the end, it is important to have a good recipe, but the brewer still makes the beer.

award winning brews are not shared???

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/joie-de-vivre-fake-imperial-pumpkin-154242/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/man-i-love-apfelwein-14860/

Russian River - Pliny the Elder (guy was handing out hard copies of the recipe!)

honorable mention (I can not confirm in seconds if these have won anything or not but I would not be suprised if they have):

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/deception-cream-stout-141483/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bee-cave-brewery-haus-pale-ale-31793/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/samhain-pumpkin-ale-140674/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/dogfish-head-60-minute-clone-ag-extract-25709/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/cream-three-crops-cream-ale-66503/

The above are what I found in 3 minutes or less. I am positive I can easily find MANY more just as fast. I have even posted my "secret ingredient" in a recipe thread around here.

The problem lies in that we as homebrewers make a TINY amount of beer and few of us can reproduce our own beers identically...lol. Let alone a complete stranger that will never even see your equipment or knows about the water.

As for a "secret process" I seriously doubt there is much that has not been hashed out in the DIY section for equipment or discussed in General. If you have some sort of undiscovered process, sharing it would result in multiple people trying it and possibly improving on it in ways you never thought of.

I guess what I am trying to say that as a collective we can accoplish much more than what we can on our own. I openly admit that HBT in general has accelerated my learning curve from "some guy with a few buckets and a dream" to a formidable home brewer. I will guess that I have extracted about a 10 to 1 ratio of hours spent learning on HBT to years it would have taken me to discover on my own, if ever.

I am not saying do not compete or be competitive, I am just trying to get you to see how silly it is to horde ideas/recipes "for competions" or the "I may go pro one day". I wish you the best of luck...

I give my best recipe to anyone who asks. I get 1-2 requests for the XML file a week and answer every one of them as soon as I get on my laptop. It's also posted on this website for anyone to take without even asking. The best thing that can happen is if someone emails me back with an improvement I can try.

I've met VERY FEW homebrewers online or in person who aren't willing to trade recipes, tecniques, etc. Hell, I don't think a single PROFESSIONAL brewer I've ever asked a question of has not answered me. Three months ago the head brewer of the only brewery in Bermuda gave me tons of tips and recipes while hanging out in his brewery.

There's very little reason to "protect" a recipe as more than likely, someone else has done it already anyway.

I am not saying do not compete or be competitive, I am just trying to get you to see how silly it is to horde ideas/recipes "for competions" or the "I may go pro one day". I wish you the best of luck...
Are you referring to me as the you?

I was specifically commenting on what has historically happened in other disciplines when people start focusing on the winning/competition aspect, and how it has resulted in exactly those types of negative effects. However silly guarding secrets may be, many of those who get serious about comps seem to do it. For the craft beer arena, exposing your techniques and recipes most likely increases your sales and name recognition.

I agree that sharing and new eyes can only further advance and expand knowledge. That is how science works.

Thank you and goodbye!

Seems like all this cwi dude does is get into threads and get disgruntled lol, I found that out a while back, it's easier to just ignore him, I actually blocked him (with a very cool Chrome add-on) so I only knew it was him from your quote above ha!

To add to the discussion above, there are no "secret" recipes or techniques that will be a major contributor to making a beer great. The secret that may have once existed are out, temp control & pitching rates, simple as that.

The more recipes are shared, the more beer there will be in the world (in theory.) That can only be good for ALL of humanity.

Seems like all this cwi dude does is get into threads and get disgruntled lol, I found that out a while back, it's easier to just ignore him, I actually blocked him (with a very cool Chrome add-on) so I only knew it was him from your quote above ha!

+1 Great source of entertainment!

Back