Anyone brewed NB Brickwarmer Holiday Red?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nummey

Reaction score
Looking at this kit for my next (6th) batch. Has anyone made this one before, how did it turn out? Would you recommend it? Got some good reviews on the NB site but a lot of comments about people having blowouts which I'm attributing to differing fermentation conditions (warmer temps) and not anything to do with the kit itself
thanks

Not yet, but I will be next weekend. I had planned on already having it done by now. I've got a ferm. chamber and always use a blow off tube, so no worries here.

I brewed this kit twice last year, I really enjoyed it! The orange peel is an interesting addition, and makes the beer stand out from the norm. Gives it that holiday feel as well. Not sure why people would be having problems with blow outs, there's nothing really unusual about the recipe or yeast choice... I never had issues with that.

tooldudetool said:
I brewed this kit twice last year, I really enjoyed it! The orange peel is an interesting addition, and makes the beer stand out from the norm. Gives it that holiday feel as well. Not sure why people would be having problems with blow outs, there's nothing really unusual about the recipe or yeast choice... I never had issues with that.

Cool...did you do partial boil with late addition or full boil?

Brewed this last fall. Turned out great & no blowoff tube needed. Full flavor red - definitely brew again.

Made this one on Saturday. Fermentation got going 5 hours after pitching. After about 18 hours, the krauzen made it about 2 inches up the blow off tube. I made a stir plate starter with Wyeast 1028 and fermentation temperature was 65 degrees.

Brewed this kit on Sunday. Did a full boil. OG was 1.059. Had really vigorous fermentation about 16 hours after pitching. Still going strong this morning (day 3 of fermentation).

I heeded the blow off warnings and used a 6.5 gallon glass carboy with a blow-off tube. I had no blow off issue, but could see how using my 5 gallon carboy would have encountered this issue. There is a nice 2-3 inch layer of krausen.

Fermentation temp ranges from 65-68 in my basement.

ferm.jpg

Back