Anybody up for a riddle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my way to St. Ives
I saw a man with seven wives.
Each wife had seven sacks.
Each sack had seven cats.
Each cat had seven kittens.
Kitten, cats, sacks, wives.
How many were going to St. Ives ?

man=1
wives=7
mama cats=49
kittens=343
Without counting sacks=400 are going to St. Ives.
If you count the sacks, 449.

At riddles I suck, but my answers, with luck, reflect the true number of each. At two conclusions I've arrived, for this man and his wives, so I ask you: "Ain't that a peach?"
:D

One hump have I, think you know what I am? I can toss a man quite high. I look rather mean, but I'm more than I seem, to some I'm a holy ride. Two gates there are and one do I keep, the other keeps me in my place. Care to compete? I'm the one to beat, in a brief little eight second race.
:confused:

man=1
wives=7
mama cats=49
kittens=343
Without counting sacks=400 are going to St. Ives.
If you count the sacks, 449.

At riddles I suck, but my answers, with luck, reflect the true number of each. At two conclusions I've arrived, for this man and his wives, so I ask you: "Ain't that a peach?"
:D

One hump have I, think you know what I am? I can toss a man quite high. I look rather mean, but I'm more than I seem, to some I'm a holy ride. Two gates there are and one do I keep, the other keeps me in my place. Care to compete? I'm the one to beat, in a brief little eight second race.
:confused:

That's a good one. The answer is a bull.

Hasn't anyone seen the third Die Hard movie?

Samuel L. Jackson trying to figure out the same riddle "Shut the %^#! Up, McClane! I'm good at this &@%!"

Here you go.

2696287097_ed4c130a4a.jpg

At least that's what my first thought was before I used the bar code scanner, and then did the math. 42 came up three times so it had to be right...:)

Edit: make that 4 variations on 42, the globe has 42 countries faced.

The answer is always 42, but I don't get the point of the image.

It was a version of the riddle found on certain editions of Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. (Actually, I thought it appeared on a later book in the series but I can no longer find that data...)

top-adams.jpg

It was a version of the riddle found on certain editions of Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. (Actually, I thought it appeared on a later book in the series but I can no longer find that data...)

top-adams.jpg

I read all the series years ago, so this must be something relatively new. At least for me. I found several of the books back when my daughter was in grade school. She had a project were she was to count all the books in our home. I was surprised that we had over 700 books! Of course this included a couple of boxes of old scifi paperbacks in the attic.
:mug:

yep, it's a sponge. An oldie, but I changed it to wort instead of water.

Ok, I'll try a twist on a classic.

What walks on four legs in the morning, on two legs during the afternoon, and all four again in the evening.

hint: not just any man but...

Finally, all that drinking has paid off! :drunk: :ban: :D

The man who invented it doesn't want it. The man who bought it doesn't need it. The man who needs it doesn't know it. What is it?

Finally, all that drinking has paid off! :drunk: :ban: :D

The man who invented it doesn't want it. The man who bought it doesn't need it. The man who needs it doesn't know it. What is it?

Shouldn't the second sentence read: The SWMBO who bought it doesn't need it.
:mug:

None. You didn't say the kittens cats wives and sacks were going to St. Ives. You only saw this crew as YOU were going.

I got this one from the interweb, apologies if its already been used.

A smooth dance, a ball sport, a place to stay, an Asian country, and a girl's name.

What's her name?

I got this one from the interweb, apologies if its already been used.

A smooth dance, a ball sport, a place to stay, an Asian country, and a girl's name.

What's her name?

I had to look it up.... no way in hell would I get that. Tricky one for sure. :mug:

Back