Anybody up for a riddle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your answer hides how clever it is

Riddle Answerer, you are a wiz

No, I'm not LRB, I'm a fake. I Googled the answer. My first post that started this this thread I screwed up trying to re-tell it. Thank goodness somebody noticed my screw up and called me on it.

I think I'm done here in the riddle thread.

No, I'm not LRB, I'm a fake. I Googled the answer. My first post that started this this thread I screwed up trying to re-tell it. Thank goodness somebody noticed my screw up and called me on it.

I think I'm done here in the riddle thread.

Ah, but only those who solve the riddle will even see your answer
Stick with this thread, you and prancer.

Okay. I'll try again
What good is a man if he gives in ?

There was a day I was sitting here
I looked outside and all was clear
But later on that day got old
What I'd seen earlier was no longer bold
I ask you all just what caused this
In my mind I'm lost, the answer
Amiss

: )

Okay. I'll try again
What good is a man if he gives in ?

There was a day I was sitting here
I looked outside and all was clear
But later on that day got old
What I'd seen earlier was no longer bold
I ask you all just what caused this
In my mind I'm lost, the answer
Amiss

: )

I won't lie, I feel confused.
my day was long, my brain abused.
Still, I'll try to earn the crown,
could it be the sun went down?

I'm posting a riddle but don't know the answer.
Neither me or my dog Prancer

So take a shot , let's see what you got.

I pass before the sun,
yet make no shadow.
What am I son?
It's time for creative fun

My thought qould be night
But im not sure that's right

LRB your answer is wise
As usual my man
I think you might take the prize

My answer is a little different
I'll share it in time, that' might be significant

Still I look forward to minds dwelling
There's a keen thing I like and it is not spelling

Come one come all.
Don't be intimidated.
Let your answers fall

Oh Lordy Lordy, AJ
Double protons at play
That's not the answer i was thinking of
Nuclear fusion is is a bit above me son

I think the answer is is basically crude
If I'm wrong in my thoughts I do allude
It's not oil, or gas , not evenings that pass
It's something we don't see but depend on it
That's my gist. Bad rhyming at play
I'm hit or miss

I'm posting a riddle but don't know the answer.
Neither me or my dog Prancer

So take a shot , let's see what you got.

I pass before the sun,
yet make no shadow.
What am I son?
It's time for creative fun

Tonight we packed for my son's high adventure
As days go by we both mature
Perhaps the riddle is a play on words I see
And if nature follows nice, what passed first is me

Tonight we packed for my son's high adventure

As days go by we both mature

Perhaps the riddle is a play on words I see

And if nature follows nice, what passed first is me

I learned about hiding an answer within
From LRB, Ischiavo,and my dog Prancer who lives in
I'm pretty sure as time goes by
LRB's answer brings air to the sky
Bye bye. :)

I love this riddle
Who doesn't love a fiddle
Oh yes, and Okay..
Maybe Emjay
Righteous answers have been given
Mine is "AIR"
It passes no shadow
and we need it for liv'n.

Stolen from the interwebz; to claim different would be lying.
I share this challenge, hoping it helps keep the thread from dying.

Ants on a stick may only move left or right. If they bump into each other they bounce off of each other and immediately move in the opposite direction maintaining speed the entire time. The only time they change speed is when they fall off of the edge of the stick.

If 25 ants are randomly put on a 1 meter long stick moving 1 meter per second, what is the longest amount of time it could take for them to all fall off?

Boydster

I have to apologize for disrupting your riddle

I started this thread about a year ago
From a couple very respected members here
They gave me a nice name , believe me it's dear
Some have graciously called me the riddle master. It's really nice but is not the answer
There is one thing I do know quite well
And it makes my heart swell
There is only one on this sight
Who knows all the answers into the night
I will give next a really truthful answer

There is a really true One riddle GrandMaster!!!

He goes by LRB. Believe me he is a very humble man. He's also a friend I'm glad to have. Brother I'm truly happy to have you as a friend (I don't know what to rhyme with have ). Not to embarrass you anymore. I'll sign off here now with a happy grin. To you LabRatBrewer I raise a glass full of cheers and something that rhymes with grin. :) :)

If 25 ants are randomly put on a 1 meter long stick moving 1 meter per second, what is the longest amount of time it could take for them to all fall off?[/b]

For one ant it would be 1 second.
For two ants it would be 1 second.
For three ants it would be 1 second.

I'm guessing, by induction, and because it probably isn't expected that a formal proof nor Monte Carlo simulation would be required, that it does not depend on how many ants there are and that the answer is, thus, 1 second.

For one ant it would be 1 second.
For two ants it would be 1 second.
For three ants it would be 1 second.

I'm guessing, by induction, and because it probably isn't expected that a formal proof nor Monte Carlo simulation would be required, that it does not depend on how many ants there are and that the answer is, thus, 1 second.

Correct! The way it was explained when I copied and pasted was simple and direct: Imagine each ant is carrying a flag. When an ant bumps into another ant, they switch flags, so while the ants direction changes each flag would continue moving in the same direction. The longest it would take all of the flags (and by extension, all of the ants) to fall off the stick would be 1 second.

The flags would say either "+V" or "-V" (or just "+" and "-"). Before the first collision you have n ants with +V and m with -V. (m + n = 25). After the first collision you have n ants with +V and m with -V. After the second you have n ants with +V and m with -V etc.

Ants walking one meter per second - fine.
Ants bouncing off one another and reversing direction immediately without ever changing speed - I'll buy it.
Ants carrying little flags with them and trading with their neighbor ants when they meet, while still pulling off the immediate change in direction - ok.

Ants writing symbols on their flags, though.... I just can't believe that could happen in real life.

:mug: I like the way you presented it. It just needs to factor in the ants falling off the stick to be complete, I think.

If a flag has constant velocity (unchanged by collisions) then it is clear that the longest possible time would be taken in the case where at least one flag (ant) is at the left end of the stick with positive velocity or at least one is at the right end with negative velocity.

This thing has the definite aroma of statistical thermal physics about it. If instead of falling off the ants bounced off a barrier at the end thereby exerting a force on it and then headed back along the stick in the opposite direction I guess we'd have a model of an ideal gas whose particles engage in elastic collisions with the 'walls' of the container and each other. The 'temperature' would be proportional to the square of the ants' velocity.

Stolen from the interwebz; to claim different would be lying.
I share this challenge, hoping it helps keep the thread from dying.

Ants on a stick may only move left or right. If they bump into each other they bounce off of each other and immediately move in the opposite direction maintaining speed the entire time. The only time they change speed is when they fall off of the edge of the stick.

If 25 ants are randomly put on a 1 meter long stick moving 1 meter per second, what is the longest amount of time it could take for them to all fall off?

Do the ants get little parachutes? If not, I'm calling PETA. You MONSTER! Think of the ants... The ANTS!

Do the ants get little parachutes? If not, I'm calling PETA. You MONSTER! Think of the ants... The ANTS!

These ants apparently are all walking around with penants. I think they've been put through college, or at the very least have enough disposable income to attend major league sporting events. They can provide their own parachutes, thank you very much.

This thing has the definite aroma of statistical thermal physics about it. If instead of falling off the ants bounced off a barrier at the end thereby exerting a force on it and then headed back along the stick in the opposite direction I guess we'd have a model of an ideal gas whose particles engage in elastic collisions with the 'walls' of the container and each other. The 'temperature' would be proportional to the square of the ants' velocity.

The more I think about this one the more convinced I become that it is the product of the fevered mind of some mad thermo prof. Continuing the reasoning above with the barriers at the end: after a 'flag' caroms off the barrier at the end it takes it L/v seconds before it reaches the other wall. Collisions thus occur at the rate of N*v/L (L is the length of the stick, v is the speed and there are N ants. Now what happens at the barrier? The momentum of the ant changes from +m*v to -m*v or conversely i.e. by ±2*m*v. This requires an impulse of magnitude 2*m*v from the barriers. If these impulses are occurring at rate N*v/L then the average impulse per unit time (force) is 2*m*v*N*v/L. = N*m*v^2/L. Looking familiar yet? It's the one dimensional ideal gas law (in one dimension the volume is the length, L). Remember that we said the temperature was the average kinetic energy which is 0.5*m*v^2. The one dimensional pressure is just the force. Thus we have

P*V = k*N*T

with k being a constant soaking up the 2's and dependent on the units of P, N and T.

Thus we prove the ideal gas law for the one dimensional case when the 'particles' can only interact with one another and the 'container walls' through elastic (magnitude of momentum preserved) collisions.

All I gotta say is

futurama_profmeme.jpg

Thus we prove the ideal gas law for the one dimensional case when the 'particles' can only interact with one another and the 'container walls' through elastic (magnitude of momentum preserved) collisions.

I like. Well done, sir.

There are some things not perfectly clear
Although clear intentions you'll find below here

Keep going on Son..
in the end it is a simple addition sum.

Another riddle from the same school.
Can you find the pattern, do you know the rule?

Find the next line in the following sequence:

Back