Anybody know what the white cloud is

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harnads

Reaction score
IMG_20131201_174942.jpg

After 90 min boil and just before transfer to fermenter.

Break material. Very normal. If you can, try to get a good whirlpool going and avoid sucking some of that into your fermenter.

This was after my whirlpool and 30 min rest...
will I get off flavors if the break material makes it to the ferment ?

You shouldn't, a lot of it will settle out. Some brewers think that added mineral content may even help fermentation in some capacity. Either way, shouldn't be a problem

What kind of kettle finings are you adding and how much?

Pay attention to the kettle finings quantity; more is not better; more just creates more and fluffier break material and "floating brains" if you go too crazy.

Adam

you can put all of that in your fermentor and it won't make hurt your beer at all. had you used a plate chiller all of that would have been in the fermentor since the break would have happened in the chiller. commercial breweries all use some kind of plate chiller that puts the break material in the fermentor.

This was after my whirlpool and 30 min rest...
will I get off flavors if the break material makes it to the ferment ?

I have a counterflow chiller, so I have no way to filter out the cold break as it goes into the fermenter, or at least most of it. It's ok, and the break material does compact down with the trub and the beer is very clear coming out of the fermenter into the keg.

Back