Any yeasts with a minimal influence on the taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twistshock

Reaction score
As the title states, I'm currently looking for a yeast that influences the taste of the final product as little as possible, besides the production of alcohol of course.

I'd assume that I'm looking for a yeast with fairly low growth requirements and low attenuation as well as alcohol tolerance, and I'm currently open to suggestions.

The reason I want for it to affect the taste as little as possible is to simplify the process itself, and because the starting product's flavor isn't particularly strong.

Well, I always use Safale US-05 for clean tasting beers (Low on yeast character). However, this is not a low attenuating yeast as you suggested.

This is the same strain as the WL 001.

Just keep the fermentation temps below 65 and it will be very very clean.

Well, I always use Safale US-05 for clean tasting beers (Low on yeast character). However, this is not a low attenuating yeast as you suggested.

This is the same strain as the WL 001.

Just keep the fermentation temps below 65 and it will be very very clean.

I mostly made assumptions about the yeast characterstics of one that wouldn't influence the taste, so thanks for the information.

yeast character often has nothing to do with attenuation or flocculation!

Temperature is the real key for most strains if you want character or not.

At low temperatures 17-18 deg C : WLP001, WY1056, US-05 or BRY-97 are all very clean and neutral. Keeping the temp low and controlled for the fermentation and then letting the yeast clean up well after themselves, a good 1-2 week diacytl rest at the same controlled temp with a cold crash after to really get the yeast to drop should do the ticket. Patience and control are the keys.

My favorite for APA's and AIPA's is BRY-97 at 18C, d-rest @ 19C for 10 days then 2C cold crash for 5-7 days. Great clean profile that Flocc's out much better than US-05 or 1056, 001 is great but hard to get locally.

Good luck! :)

Right, thanks for the two replies.

I should perhaps also state that what I wish to ferment is birch sap, with a decent helping of sucrose once I've established the final recipe I intend to use.

Would anyone happen to know if there'll be a lack of nutrients in this? Either way, I'll find out on my own in a month or two I suppose.

I'd rather go for the 1056 than 001. My experience (even though it's not that much) is that the 001 added a bit more fruitiness than the 1056.

All the suggestions until now have been for ale yeasts. Is that what you want to stick with? I've never fermented birch sap, but I imagine a lager or wine yeast would do just fine for you as well. 1118 is notorious for fermenting anything and not really bringing anything interesting (flavor-wise) to the table.

But since birch sap doesn't have much flavor anyway, are you sure a neutral yeast is the way to go? Why not make it more interesting by using a yeast with more character?

I imagine since it is mostly simple sugars similar to honey that a mead yeast would be appropriate. If you are looking for low attenuation then go with a sweet mead yeast. You will most likely need yeast nutrients like you do for mead. If you want a cleaner flavor then ferment it on the lower end if the yeasts temperature range (most likely in the low 60s), it will take longer to ferment but will be much cleaner.

I just read a thread that said if you over pitch the yeast, that you won't get as many off flavors.
In the early reproductive stages is where yeast make the most, what some might consider, off flavors.

So if you pitch more yeast than you need, the yeast doesn't need to reproduce as vigorously. Thus less impact, flavor wise.

Back