Any tips on capping bottles with short collars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjolin01

Reaction score
I have some bottles that have a shorter collar that my wing capper doesn't grip and pull tight to get my caps to stay on. Other than tossing these bottles or getting a bench/floor capper I was curious if there were any tips of the trade to get my wing capper to work. Thanks and cheers!

Not that I know of (probably not the answer you are looking for).

My wing capper simply does not work well with a couple beer bottle types, so I avoid those. I don't have an issue with short bottles, like Sierra Nevada, but some other types give my capper issues. It could also be the type of caps you are using.

I've never had a problem with a short collar. I've had issues with longer than standard collars though. I think this varies by capper brand for some reason, despite them all being basically of the same design.

The Super Agata bench cappers aren't too bad a price. They work well, but eventually you'll shear a pin. No biggie, just put a bolt through it and it's good to go!

The Super Agata bench cappers aren't too bad a price. They work well, but eventually you'll shear a pin. No biggie, just put a bolt through it and it's good to go!

It's on my birfday list already. Snapped my first bottle neck last weekend, informed my wife that there was an affordable alternative to glass and beer being all over the kitchen. Sold.

If you or swmbo frequent antique shops, you can find old cappers there for about the same price or much better than the commercial bench cappers. The plus with the antiques are that there is no plastic involved. My wife picked up 4 antique cappers at a shop for $75 a couple of years ago. I should be set for life.

I use one of the cheapo orange plastic wing-cappers on bottles like that all the time. There is a trick that works for me: pull outwards on the handles before you start pressing down and crimping the cap. This will allow the two metal grips to grab ahold of the bottle above the glass ring that sticks out and causes interference. Then push downward. Those bottle-cappers have some outward play to them that will allow you to cap most bottles.

If that isn't clear, what I do is this: I put the crown of the capper on the bottle cap (with the arms vertical) and push down on the capper. Then I swing the arms down maybe half-way, and then pull outwards on the arms so that the two metal clamps grip the flat part of the bottle neck above the annoying rim. Once that's done, I swing the capper arms down to seal the bottle.

If the collar is too short for your wing capper there is one thing you can do: Unscrew the capping bell from inside the capper, place the bell over the bottle you want to cap, and gently tap the bell down with a mallet or hammer. As far as I know, this is the only way to cap uncooperative bottles (besides using a bench capper).

If that isn't clear, what I do is this: I put the crown of the capper on the bottle cap (with the arms vertical) and push down on the capper. Then I swing the arms down maybe half-way, and then pull outwards on the arms so that the two metal clamps grip the flat part of the bottle neck above the annoying rim. Once that's done, I swing the capper arms down to seal the bottle.

I use the same style of capper, and this is what works for me, too.

You have to get the jaws to interface with the ridge before you put any pressure on the handles. Clamping down immediately grabs the bottle neck, and once you start torquing on the handles, the tool slips and slams up against the ridge.

When my dad joins me for a bottle day, he tends to not notice the shorter collar bottles (bad eyesight) and attacks them as usual. I've since taught him the trick FarmerTed pointed out above and now there is a lot less spilled beer and profanity on bottle day. There's still profanity, just less of it directed towards the beer. :D

I've only met 1 bottle that was absolutely uncappable with the wing cappers. It was a craft beer from Mexico, Calavera. The collar slipped through the jaws once I put pressure on the cap with the bell. Felt bad throwing away those heavy 12oz bottles. Bench capper would have saved the day. Hammer, too.

I've found that the rounded, bigger collars are the best, those i tend to save as "prime" bottles.
16986534-origpic-12878a.jpg

Then there is the mostly german branded ones that have a more straight-edged long collar, that work okay, but have a tendency to slip out of the gripper if not careful.
12ozpinnacle_bottle_0500f_rgb_fnl.jpg

The really short, ringlike bottle collars i just ditch, they won't seal well with a wing-capper.
beer-bottle-neck-350.jpg

after watching my brother in law break 3 bottles with my wing capper, and tossing out cleaned and delabled bottles with the short "ring" like abita, I broke down and spend the 40 dollars on a bench capper. it's the best thing ever.

With most wing cappers, the metal plates that engage the collar are reversible. One side has a 26mm half-circle, and the other side has a 29mm.

To all the people having trouble with bottles slipping, make sure both plates are 26mm. There is a little "26" stamped on the right side of the plate right on the end. Sometimes they come assembled with one jaw as 26mm and the other as 29mm, slip city.

This thread explains how to flip the plates and shows them close-up
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=471021

Latest posts

Back