Any tips for a first timer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guzdaman

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I recently just bought my first home brew kit off of Midwest supplies. I chose to do an amber ale for my first brew and I have never done this before. Obviously I know to follow the instructions and it should come out just fine but I was wondering if anyone had any tips that would be helpful to know as a first time brewer?

Read lots on here. Primary for 3-4 weeks at 60F and don't bother with a secondary. Then prime and bottle and leave to condition for 3-4 weeks at 70F. Refrigerate for 2-3 days.

B

I'd look up the temp range for the yeast. Midwest's site will have links to the manufacturers sheet. Some ale yeasts don't like 60F,it can be a little low. But generally,it can take 3 weeks to ferment down to a stable FG & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then prime & bottle. 3-5 weeks not just to carbonate fully,but condition the flavors & aromas as well. And a week at least in the fridge for decent head & carbonation.

Chances are you won't mess up your first batch so just take it easy and relax.

This tip is from a beginner that had a boil over about an hour ago. Watch your wort like a hawk bringing up to a boil. I had the top of my pot on... probably not the best idea. I walked away for about 30 seconds. Came back to a huge mess.

if you are using a bucket put the airlock in the lid, then the lid on the bucket. That will save you from posting a "I pushed the grommet into my beer!" thread.

The voice of experience.

Yeah,that's what I do,I hold the grommet from the inside while pushing the airlock into place. Then a spritze of starsan & it's ready to go.

Back