Any thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoreyD

Reaction score
Found this and thought, good for brewing?

https://www.thegrommet.com/kitchen-gizmo

Could be used to get strike water up to temp. Not sure if you could use it much past that as the upper temp limit is below boiling. i think these also recirculate water so if used in a mash directly might clog up with grain.

Correction, my mind was thinking of my all-grain rig. If grains are in a bag I suspect it might be ok.

If you can keep it from getting clogged with grain, BIAB or some type of filter that doesn't restrict the flow too much. Other considerations are, how closely it holds target temperature, and how well will it hold up with many hour long mashes.

The recirculation will not help much unless you can hack the unit to divert the flow through the grains. At $100, I think a rims system would be a better use of the $$

Some folks are playing around with it, the AHA did a piece on it...

Personally I'd spend the money on something else... or do what most of us on here do with those... or the ghetto ones we make- cook with it. They're great in the kitchen, but I can't imagine disassembling one to clean after mashing with it.

Thanks for the wisdom you all have bestowed upon me. I didn't consider the recirculation causing pugs. It would be good for what it's intended, but I'll have to continue my search for a BIAB electric system. Seems like it would be counter productive to have one tool just for heating strike water, then something else for the boil.

Thanks for the wisdom you all have bestowed upon me. I didn't consider the recirculation causing pugs. It would be good for what it's intended, but I'll have to continue my search for a BIAB electric system. Seems like it would be counter productive to have one tool just for heating strike water, then something else for the boil.

Have you ever checked how long it takes for conversion in a BIAB batch? Hint: If the grains are milled fine as can be done with a BIAB mash, it doesn't take an hour for conversion and then it doesn't take a heater to keep the temperature constant for an hour.:rockin:

Back