Any SCUBA Divers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chap

Reaction score
Anybody here dive? My family and I completed our 4 dives this weekend and are now PADI Open Water qualified. Heading out tomorrow for a couple more dives. When we lived in San Diego we were in to reef tanks... diving in Okinawa is like being inside the tank :ban: The couple drawbacks I see; everything is expensive and diving is going to seriously cut into my brewing time :drunk:

Yep, been diving 5 years and cave diving for 2. Welcome to the the life of being broke. It's an awesome hobby though. My suggestion: Get your own gear as soon as possible and don't be afraid to buy used. If you need some places to look besides CL let me know. Any good dives planned?

It's been a couple years but yeah.

bobok.jpg

Yep, been diving 5 years and cave diving for 2. Welcome to the the life of being broke. It's an awesome hobby though. My suggestion: Get your own gear as soon as possible and don't be afraid to buy used. If you need some places to look besides CL let me know. Any good dives planned?

No CL in Okinawa unfortunately. But there is no shortage of people leaving the island or just not into the hobby so buying used gear shouldn't be a problem.

2 dives at a place called Maeda Point today. Absolutely beautiful location.

I got certified in Okinawa 18 years ago. Great diving all over that place.

I haven't been for a few years. My friend was a licensed instructor for a few years, but alas, there isn't much demand up here, and he had some competition that set up in a nearby town that basically made paying the insurance for teaching a deal breaker for him. His license expired just before I got to apply for advanced open water. But we did a bunch of dives in dark, cold, murky Michigan water, and he said I could have passed that easily.

Now I'm thinking about renting a couple of tanks and teaching my daughter in a nearby shallow lake so she can see how much fun it can be.

Once we borrowed an underwater metal detector and that was AWESOME!

advanced open water through PADI- haven't dived in a number years. being inland makes it a little dull when all you have are quarries to go in. Still fun but not as fun as the coast.

If I were on the coast and in warmer waters I would be diving all the time.

I've been certified for about 17 years now and worked my way up to my trimix cert. I'm really into shipwreck history, luckily NC has it's fair share. I was fortunate enough to get a job on a recreational charter boat 11 years ago so I get to do a fair amount of diving on the cheap. I've been focusing on underwater videography and photography over the last few years. I picked up brewing beer as something to do when not underwater.

I've heard Okinawa has some great artifact hunting. I've seen some pics of a guy doing dives off the beaten path who is finding a lot of old WW2 relics.

If you get bored check out my website, www.wilmingtondiving.com. I'm in the process of updating the site with some new pictures.

Oh and you will be broke from here on out.

Pat

open certified as well. I just dive whenever I go on vacation, etc. It's a fun hobby, wish I had the $ to get more into it!

Now I'm thinking about renting a couple of tanks and teaching my daughter in a nearby shallow lake so she can see how much fun it can be.

Stupid, Stupid Stupid IDEA. Having a few dives in dark murky water doesn't qualify you to teach anyone. While diving is fun, and I encourage everyone to try it out, if you screw up underwater with compressed air, the cost can very well be you or your daugthers life.

People that think diving has no risk, really need to rethink what they are doing. Take a deep breath off SCUBA in 4 foot of water, and stand up while holding that breath and you can pop both lungs.

advanced open water diver here- learned to dive in belize (god I miss that place)

Stupid, Stupid Stupid IDEA. Having a few dives in dark murky water doesn't qualify you to teach anyone. While diving is fun, and I encourage everyone to try it out, if you screw up underwater with compressed air, the cost can very well be you or your daugthers life.

People that think diving has no risk, really need to rethink what they are doing. Take a deep breath off SCUBA in 4 foot of water, and stand up while holding that breath and you can pop both lungs.

+1

Get her certified. It will be fun for both of you and she'll learn properly.

+1

Get her certified. It will be fun for both of you and she'll learn properly.

Most shops usually have a free intro to SCUBA every few months, look for one of those to see if she is interested enough to go ahead with certification. And trying it out in a nice clear pool will be a lot more relaxing for the first time than in a murky lake.

Most shops usually have a free intro to SCUBA every few months, look for one of those to see if she is interested enough to go ahead with certification. And trying it out in a nice clear pool will be a lot more relaxing for the first time than in a murky lake.

+1 We did "Discover SCUBA" before the actual Open Water class and I believe this made my wife and daughter both more comfortable with the equipment and diving.

+1 We did "Discover SCUBA" before the actual Open Water class and I believe this made my wife and daughter both more comfortable with the equipment and diving.

+8, a buddy of mine would take his girlfriend and his 12yr old nephew neither of who were certified and then wonder why I wouldn't dive with him. Also don't be an SOB when diving with someone, same ocean buddy.

we will be diving for lobsters off Nauset tomorrow. 2 to 5 pounders hoping to get another 14 pounder again this summer. be safe and dive with a buddy who can save your life.

Wet or dry. Single AL 80's or doubled low pressure 100's. Have gone the whole DIR route, found that s little too militant and restrictive for me. Wr have over 500 dives since SWMBO and I got certified when we were first dating. We dive all over, from the warm clear waters ofFlorida, North Carolina and the Cayman Islands (I asked her to marry me 100' underwater at Bloody Bay Wall. You know what? She never actually took her regulator out and said yes. Hmmm!).

We dove between the European and North American tectonic plates in Iceland. Quarries. Lakes. Ponds. (pond diving is for the birds). NJ. Maine. California. Portugal.

Of course most of our dives are here at home, off the Massachusetts coast. Best diving in the world. Cold. Dark. Crappy vis.

I also work part time at a hyperbaric chamber to fund all of that diving.

PTN

Back