Any recommendations for "Brew in a Bag" stainless replacement?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mad Brewer

The mad brewer
Reaction score
I use the bag method but have a little hole in it and if I purchase a new one would like it tp be stainless steel mesh bag. I have a 8 gallon brew kettle I use to mash and boil in. Anyone try the mesh steel bag filters?

Are you wanting this for your grains or for your hops? I can't tell and the item you linked to is for your hops not your grains. Either way, these two companies make great products for either purpose.

Custom Metal Filter Fabrication - Stainless Steel Filters, Lids, Screens, Towers, You Name It, We Can Build It! - Utah Biodiesel Supply
https://www.arborfab.com/
Pretty sure they work together, but I got my mesh basket from them for my Spike Solo+ system. It's built really well and I have no complaints.

Are you wanting this for your grains or for your hops? I can't tell and the item you linked to is for your hops not your grains. Either way, these two companies make great products for either purpose.

Custom Metal Filter Fabrication - Stainless Steel Filters, Lids, Screens, Towers, You Name It, We Can Build It! - Utah Biodiesel Supply
https://www.arborfab.com/
Pretty sure they work together, but I got my mesh basket from them for my Spike Solo+ system. It's built really well and I have no complaints.
Really want it for Grains in mashing. Yes if I can find one say 12” radius would be best. After reading reviews on this one, sounds like people do use the stainless mesh

I found a stainless basket on Amazon once and tried it, similar to the ones linked above. It was kind of a pain to clean and you can’t squeeze it of course and it was a little harder to maneuver and get set just right in the kettle. It was a little easier to do a pour over sparge though. I ended up removing the protruding thermometer from my kettle and went back to a good bag. No more holes.

I found a stainless basket on Amazon once and tried it, similar to the ones linked above. It was kind of a pain to clean and you can’t squeeze it of course and it was a little harder to maneuver and get set just right in the kettle. It was a little easier to do a pour over sparge though. I ended up removing the protruding thermometer from my kettle and went back to a good bag. No more holes.

Agree completely. It doesn't drain as much on its own and it's harder to manipulate it to drain without some kind of circular press plate. I think whatever you stick with, you get comfortable and anything else is a hassle.

I went the other way from an anvil foundry stainless basket to a fabric bag. Way easier to clean, I can use it for hopping IPAs during the boil and you can squeeze it. Sparging is a pain and I stopped that. Just another reference point for you.

I went the other way from an anvil foundry stainless basket to a fabric bag. Way easier to clean, I can use it for hopping IPAs during the boil and you can squeeze it. Sparging is a pain and I stopped that. Just another reference point for you.

Dunk sparge is as easy and efficient as it gets. But curious, what’s the grain amount difference for skipping the sparge?

Dunk sparge is as easy and efficient as it gets. But curious, what’s the grain amount difference for skipping the sparge?

I get up to 10% or so more efficiency consistently when I dunk sparge. So I'd venture a guess 10% or so difference in grain needed.

It can be trivial for some but depends on your methods. If you have a small batch in say an all-in-one where a lot of water is around the side or under your basket, that little bit of extra grain can give you a pretty dry mash you otherwise wouldn't have had.

For the OP's question I'd just suggest you get a new bag if you basically already liked your process. They are a wear item...

Really want it for Grains in mashing. Yes if I can find one say 12” radius would be best. After reading reviews on this one, sounds like people do use the stainless mesh
I bought a stainless mesh basket from Utah Biodiesel Supply, it was in their bargain area. It was 300 mesh, 12" diameter with 8" sides. They were able to customize it with extra support and a bail handle. They could also add stand-offs on the bottom to raise it up, I didn't get that. Totaled up it was about $120 bucks shipped. I can use it in my brew kettle but mostly in a filtering grant I built from a (legal) converted quarter barrel keg.

Another consideration with a SS mesh basket is rust. I've looked at the SS hop spiders for years and nearly every one had someone complaining about rust in the reviews. I've yet to buy one because of this.

And that is where the fabric bag wins out, you can squeeze it. If you spend time squeezing every last drop out your efficiency shoots up

Back