any recipes for women who don't like beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonToews

Reaction score
Im looking to make a batch of fruity coolers for my wife as she doesn't drink beer, anyone have any recipes for such a thing? So far all I can find is a recipie for "mikes hard lemonade" and I know shes not that big of a fan. I know, picky eh? Im looking to make a 5 gallon batch

Maker her a batch of apfelwein. Easy to make, you can use sugars other than dextrose (honey, brown sugar, apple juice concentrate, etc etc), you can bottle and carbonate it, whatever she likes. If she doesn't like beer, there's no point in trying to make one that she'll like.

ETA: slow to post again. Anyway, the early voting shows apfelwein in the lead.

There have been many many threads like this on HBT so I figure I'll be the nay-sayer in this one: if she doesn't like beer she probably won't like one with fruit in it. I've tried over and over with my mother and it's always, "It tastes too beery."

But I'd say if you really want, try the Apfelwein and make sure to age it for a few months so it's as un-harsh as possible for the wife.

Thanks for the help guys!, Believe it or not, I've got her to taste many different, delicious wit beers and she didn't take to any of them hehe.

My gf is the same way so I stopped trying a long time ago. Contrary to what some people say, some people just do NOT like beer. I'd definitely try the apfelwein, I think I'm going to make that myself here this week. :mug:

My first batch of Apfelwein, split the batch and carbed half with honey and added 6 oz of lactose for sweetness. LPR! Problem is that you need two months before it is really ready - minimum. I have to believe there is a dark chocolate cream porter out there that would be similar to the Godiva liquor (liquor, I don't even know her) that she might enjoy. I know you commented on the "no" when it comes to fruit beers, but my ex also hated beer but loved the bartles and james PEACH "wine cooler" that is actually ****ty malt beverage with peach sweetness. I bet you could find a very neutral pale ale that could be sweetend and peached up...

I was just reading Pappers website, and he says for his ciders he boils the bottles when he thinks his carbonation is done to stop fermentation. Should I do this as well with the apfelwein?

The apfelwein will be long done fermenting by the time you get around to bottle it.

I threw together a real light, raspberry pale ale that wound up with a very light "beer flavor". It is cheap to make and pretty damn tasty (I don't expect to win any awards or respect from the beer community with it, but it a good beer to give women/BCMers)

I made a version of a hard lemonade that I spruced up with raspberry. Worked out great. If you are bottle carbing it gets real dry but if you can force carb you could get a nice sweet finish on it. I havn't got the recipe on me but if you want it send me a pm and next time I have access I'll type it up for ya.

I was just reading Pappers website, and he says for his ciders he boils the bottles when he thinks his carbonation is done to stop fermentation. Should I do this as well with the apfelwein?

I think he is doing this simply to ensure no bottle bombs or to kill fermentation with some sweetness left. You will not need to do this if you use a hydrometer to guide your fermentation and then use non-fermentables to add sweetness if you like.

Although there have been many fine suggestions so far, I would not make anything until you nail down what she lies. Have her try some different commercial varieties of beer, wine and cider. Otherwise you could be wasting time better spent on making IPAs...

Hi Jason. I don't boil the bottles, I pasteurize them by putting them in 190 F water. I pasteurize rather than adding chemicals and/or backsweetening with non-fermentables, as mentioned above. Either method works. If you want more details about pasteurizing, let me know. Its easy and straightforward, but perhaps less exact than backsweetening.

Although there have been many fine suggestions so far, I would not make anything until you nail down what she lies. Have her try some different commercial varieties of beer, wine and cider. Otherwise you could be wasting time better spent on making IPAs...

I was just thinking that, Homer. For example, Jason, get her a bottle of Magners or Woodchuck before you make a batch of sparkling cider.

Cider, Cyser, Mead, Melomel's, Hard Lemonade... The good thing about homebrewing is the possibilities are endless.

I also agree with Homercidal... If she doenst like beer... make an IPA or even a double IPA and enjoy it all to yourself.

I think he is doing this simply to ensure no bottle bombs or to kill fermentation with some sweetness left. You will not need to do this if you use a hydrometer to guide your fermentation and then use non-fermentables to add sweetness if you like.

Right. I bottle when the cider is at the correct dry/sweet ratio for me (about 1.010 gravity). I use priming sugar (so it doesn't get drier in the bottle) and when the bottles are carbonated, I pasteurize them to stop fermentation and avoid bottle bombs.

Letting it ferment out to completely dry and then backsweeten with a non-fermentable is another method.

Do you have to do anything to pasteurized juice befor adding the yeast? Oh and i've shown her every type of beer known to man pretty much and she didnt like any of it. She loves fruit coolers by a company called "Palm Bay" kinda like your typical "bacardi breezer"

if I take 5 gallons of fruit punch, add 2lbs of corn sugar and yeast would it ferment and make coolers?

No. If there is "benzoate" or "sorbate" in it, it wont' ferment.

You can buy frozen concentrates of juices, without preservatives, and that WILL work. I've seen some "breeze" type juices that don't have preservatives.

I'd probably bite the bullet and just buy an "Island Mist" kit. They are about $60 but make 30 bottles of "wine cooler" type wines. My friend loves mango citrus symphony, and it tastes like a fruity wine cooler. It's not carbed, but it's very nice chilled sitting by the pool.

Well, I guess we will see how it turns out. I made it the same way you guys suggested making apfelwein. I used "Allens fruit punch" it says it has no preservatives. benzoate and sorbate aren't on the list of ingredients. I put vodka in the airlock to up the abv.

P7270072.jpg

Well, I guess we will see how it turns out. I made it the same way you guys suggested making apfelwein. I used "Allens fruit punch" it says it has no preservatives. benzoate and sorbate aren't on the list of ingredients. I put vodka in the airlock to up the abv.

P7270072.jpg

How do you know it will be ready Aug 26? I know when I make apfelwein 1 month is not long enough. The apfelwein instructions basically say leave in fermentor until it falls clear, which is usually for me 2-3 months.

My stepmother doesn't like beer--and by that I mean she only drinks that lime crap miller tries to pass off as beer. I bought her some Long Trail Blackbeary Wheat once and she really dug it. Maybe try something like that, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry and use a mild wit recipe?

How do you know it will be ready Aug 26? I know when I make apfelwein 1 month is not long enough. The apfelwein instructions basically say leave in fermentor until it falls clear, which is usually for me 2-3 months.

yea his go 2-3 mths...mine was fermented in 1 week

Back