Any reason to NOT use a stir plate to break up yeast before pitching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2W2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm brewing my latest batch with White Labs WLP002 (English Ale Yeast). When this yeast drops out, it really compacts into an almost rubber like cake. In the past I've just shaken the hell out of it in the flask, before pitching. This time I was wondering if it would work better to toss it back on the stir plate for a few minutes to help break it up (it's already been on the plate, and still has the stir bar in it). I'd still probably shake it right before I pitch.

I always decant as much starter wort as I can before I shake it; I'd do the same on the stir plate, although I might leave a little more wort.

Any reason to not do this?

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

I'm brewing my latest batch with White Labs WLP002 (English Ale Yeast). When this yeast drops out, it really compacts into an almost rubber like cake. In the past I've just shaken the hell out of it in the flask, before pitching. This time I was wondering if it would work better to toss it back on the stir plate for a few minutes to help break it up (it's already been on the plate, and still has the stir bar in it). I'd still probably shake it right before I pitch.

I always decant as much starter wort as I can before I shake it; I'd do the same on the stir plate, although I might leave a little more wort.

Any reason to not do this?

Thanks for your help!
My starters sit on the plate till ~20 minutes before pitch. The timing is just logistical not strategic.
I take the flask off the stir plate and carry it down to the basement where it sits while I do final sanitize and oxygenation.
Then I give it a swirl (not a shake) to re-suspend any solids that have settled out and then pitch.
That's what I have been doing for years now and I typically get activity within 3-4 hours.

It would be interesting to give the spinner a try but my experiences strongly suggest it'll just carve a small circle in the middle.

I often do 5 liter starters, crash and decant (because no way am I pitching five liters of spent starter beer!) then spend almost forever getting that stiff pancake of yeast back in suspension :) It's just how it goes...

Cheers!

I agree, I'd be surprised if the stirbar did much breaking up of the yeast. With mine I'm also decanting off most of a 4l or 5l starter then I typically start swirling and shaking during the boil to start the process and every so often leading up to time to pitch. That way its not so tough when your ready to pitch.

Limited experience from the brewing perspective here (just started in the summer) but in my Microbiology lab we always use the magnet and stir plate method after decanting spent liquids for a new growth, or in this case for fresh wort. If the magnet is undersized, I would agree that it might take some time, but hey you're oxygenating again, so that is not a bad thing. Maybe a larger magnet is the key? FWIW, I would let the stirrer do it's thing and see how it goes.

Cheers!

The most effective way to reverse flocculation behaviour in yeast is to expose them to fresh wort, i.e. a sugary solution. Preferably before pitching, if you ask me. A little swirling by hand won't do any harm either.

Last edited:
I wish I'd taken a picture before I pitched, but since I was brewing yesterday I didn't see these posts until I was done for the day.

I only had a 1.5 liter starter, so results may vary, but the stir plate worked pretty well. After I decanted all but about 0.5 liter of the wort, I swirled it a little to break the stir bar free, and put it on my plate for 15 minutes or so at medium speed (little whirlpool). At first it was just some big chunks floating around, but as they got pulled into the whirlpool, they continued to break up. By the time I pitched, the flask was full of small chunks slightly larger than a BB. I gave the flask one last swirl and dumped it in my fermenter. I'd overchilled my wort, down to 60 degrees - five below the lower end for this yeast, but I was getting a few bubbles in the blow-off tube by last night. It was very active this morning, and down 8 gravity points, so I'd say the yeast was happy.

I'll probably try it again next brew. It takes zero time and seemed to do what I wanted.

I wish I'd taken a picture before I pitched, but since I was brewing yesterday I didn't see these posts until I was done for the day.

By the time I pitched, the flask was full of small chunks slightly larger than a BB.
Sounds like you need a Vitamix not a stir plate ;)
It may not matter but I'd prefer it a little more "in suspension" than BB size.
But if it is working well for you I won't question it.

I do 4 liter starters for mead. I decant right down to what the racking cane will pull out. Then I take a loose strong magnet and pull the stirring magnet around the flask for a while to breakup the yeast. On heavy sludge I even use the magnet to shove it around for the pour. I try not to go too dry, but it happens. I have the magnet to keep the stir bar from going into the fermenter anyway, so why not.

I've let the starter settle both in the fridge and on the counter with pretty much the same results. Keep in mind, I use high flocculation rated yeast strains. I let them settle for a day or more, before I decant enough that I can use the yeast brink to infuse. I was using a Mason jar brink (quart jar) but now I'm using a 2" TC sight glass. I might get a larger sight glass version at some point (not sure when). With the starters I make, it's not much effort to leave either enough spent starter wort above the yeast, or add a bit of water (either distilled, or the same I use for brewing) to get a nice slurry.

I have the yeast in the fridge for the coming batch since the starter was done a couple of weeks back. I did a larger starter than was really needed, so I still have enough cells (or close enough) for the batch. I'll decant as much as I can, make the slurry, and put it into the brink when I'm close to ready for it. I usually let any yeast that's been in the fridge, sit out long enough to get closer to pitch temperature as well.

Using a magnet to hold the stir bar in the flask is something everyone making starters needs to know about. I have a magnet I bought years back that's great for the task. The item I bought from Northern Brewer (magnet with a 'handle' on it) isn't nearly as useful. IMO, their magnet isn't strong enough by far.

BTW, for the yeast brink, I push up through the bottom/dump valve in the conical (I moved that valve to directly under the cone/bottom ferrule for this use) then use CO2 to push the yeast in. Letting a bit of wort/beer go back into the brink helps ensure I get the most yeast into the batch. For me, not opening up any of the ports in the lid once the chilled wort goes in is worth the cost of the brink. I use the first one (made for use with the Mason jar) for my harvesting now. Usually putting a half gallon jar on it, so that I have enough room. I plan to actually dump into that after I package the batch that's carbonating. I should have less than two quarts of 'liquid' or slurry in the bottom of the conical come the end. Or, it will be more, but I'll not have any finished BEER in there to worry about. ;)

I do 4 liter starters for mead. I decant right down to what the racking cane will pull out. Then I take a loose strong magnet and pull the stirring magnet around the flask for a while to breakup the yeast. [...]

Ok, that's effin' brilliant, which makes me feel that much less bright for never having thought of that :D

Cheers! :mug:

I do 4 liter starters for mead. I decant right down to what the racking cane will pull out. Then I take a loose strong magnet and pull the stirring magnet around the flask for a while to breakup the yeast. On heavy sludge I even use the magnet to shove it around for the pour. I try not to go too dry, but it happens. I have the magnet to keep the stir bar from going into the fermenter anyway, so why not.
I have a strong magnet, with a piece of felt on it to reduce impact against my flasks. I give it a quick dip in Starsan and use it to pull the stir bar out, but I've never thought about using it to break up the yeast cake!

Sounds like you need a Vitamix not a stir plate ;)
It may not matter but I'd prefer it a little more "in suspension" than BB size.
But if it is working well for you I won't question it.
I can get most yeasts pretty suspended with some aggressive swirling, but as I said at the start, WPL002 is one of those yeasts that forms a "rubbery" chunk. I'm just happy to pitch a few hundred small chunks instead of several large ones!

I usually decant but leave some liquid behind and put it back on the stir plate and it loosens it up pretty well. It might take more than a few minutes but it always comes loose.

Using a loose magnet to move the stir bar around sounds like a good idea too.

I just bought the strong magnet in a plastic blister package. Never took it out. I store it on stuck on the flourescent light above me. Works well for harvesting slurry too. Sanitize the stir bar and pitch it after the batch is racked out. Swirl the magnet around to break up all the yeast and scrape it to the side, and then down the side to the mason jar. Glass carboys, so I don't have to worry about about scratching. Even the heavy top layer breaks up pretty well. Works best with a medium slurry, too much liquid and it is harder to catch the big chunks.

Back