Any reason this hillbilly mash tun idea is a no go?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logdrum

Reaction score
After years of using a cooler,I want to switch to a stainless mash tun. Rather than insulate the kettle, I'm thinking of incorporating a hot plate controlled by a Bayite BTC211 & recirculating via one of my Chugger pumps. I don't need to ramp up temp, just maintain. So, let me have it, what are the glaring flaws in my scheme that I'm totally missing?

I think the one thing missing is the grain bag so you can remove the grains from your BK.

Joking aside i dont know what your setup is or if inside or out. If outside using propane with pumps you might be better off with a RIMS but if electric then maybe EBIAB on a induction burner or with an element.

I have used a 1000 watt table top electric hot plate under my keggle mash tun with a full false bottom. The keggle was supported on wood blocks (hillbilly style) and in direct contact with the electric element running at full power. The temperature increased one degree F in one hour while recirculating with my chugger. It was indoors and a 20 pound grain bill. I used no controller

If you are buying a true brew kettle from spike or any of the many others why not have them punch a hole so you can install an element.

I'm not sure why I'm resisting the full ebrew route, I can't do 240v is one reason I suppose, lack of modularity is another, I know I definitely can't see myself pursuing that route.

Latest posts

Back