Any outstanding difference between cider and perry production flow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perfection

Reaction score
Is there a difference in the production process for (apple) cider and perry/pear cider?

Is it a real difference that in perry production the harvested pears undergo a period of 'sweating' prior to their pulping and that their pressed juice stands for tannin development which is not a practice with apple cider?

Both apples and pears can be stored, or "sweated" prior to juice extraction. Many apples just don't taste all that great right off the tree, but after some ripening the flavor is improved. When pears are ripe, getting the juice out can be a problem because the fruit turns to a mushy consistency that won't give up the juice. With apples, the pulp can be pressed right away or held for 24 hrs or so and then pressed. You can do the same with pears, but you'll likely have to do that before they are fully ripe. I've found the best way to get juice out of fully ripe pears is to freeze them, allow to mostly thaw out and then put in the press whole.

thanks madscientist451
So apparently there is NO major difference between cider and perry production?

Getting the juice out of the fruit is one difference, also apple juice will ferment all the way dry but pears have a percentage of sorbitol, which is a sugar that won't ferment. I can't get real perry pears so I have no experience making real perry, all I've ever used are culinary pears. I make a pretty decent cider with apples I can get in my area, but I've never been happy with the perry I've made. So I'll say there's a big difference when making the two beverages.

Back