Any other Ann Arbor AG brewers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e lo

Reaction score
I'm curious if there are any other AG brewers here in the Ann Arbor area, and if so, what you do to your water before brewing.

I've been using metabisulfite to clear out the chloramine and pH5.2 to buffer the mash, but that's it. Anyone else have any input?

Thanks!

I used to live in AA. I think its great brewing water. Not a whole lot as far as minerals go, I used to just use 5.2 and it was great for anything up to about 15 or so SRM, maybe a little higher (anything pale or amber). The only thing I did notice though was I could not do AG stouts or porters without a really awful acrid character. After this years NHC, I realized it was becsue there isn't enough residual alkalinity to do dark beers there. There is an easy fix though, you just add some Baking Soda and you are good do go. Never had a chance to try before I moved out, and now I'm building water from scratch, but I'm fairly certain that would be the ticket. Great water, easy to adjust for all styles. Chapter 15 at www.howtobrew.com and JPs spreadsheet for RA should be all you need to interpret the water profile.

Are you right in town? If so the water info is available online or a quick email will get you most recent reports.

Good luck!

Thanks, for the info, Matt. I am right in town and on the Ann Arbor Water service. I had read through the secion in HTB about adjusting the water; I had been unable to find the full water profile online, though. I found it this morning, though, after some more searching. Looks like you're spot on in terms of what can be brewed here without too much mucking about with the water. I haven't done any really dark AG brews yet, and the brown ale I did tasted great, but my palette may not be refined enough yet to tell.

Nice avatar, by the way -- Milo Goes to College is an awesome album.

I'm in A2 as well, but have only done two AG batches here so far. I agree that I am concerned about brewing stouts and porters (my favs!) due to the too-clean water profile :)

BLM

I know Stacy (she brews) at The Corner Brewery in A.A., go there, ask her stuff, she's way cool.

She get's it. If she can't say immediately, she'll find out.

Tell her Leo sent you. ;)

Back