any one tried Belma hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avm221

Reaction score
looks like its a new hop that hops direct is going to have, it sounds a lot like citra. but if any one has used it let me know what you think im thinking next hop order i might get a pound

BELMA™ Hop Leaf New 2013 Crop
Alpha Acid 11.6%
Dual-Purpose

Hops Direct, LLC and Puterbaugh Farms is excited to introduce a

brand new and very unique hop of our very own.
Over the past few years we have nurtured and developed a

NEW hop variety "Belma™"
exclusively grown here at Puterbaugh Farms.
Dr. Shellhammer from OSU tested Belma™ and created a Pale Ale Malt.

He noted the following description: A very clean hop, with a very orange,
slight grapefruit, tropical pineapple, strawberry, and melon aroma.
As this is a very new variety, we welcome customer feedback
and encourage you to write a review, below.
Please see our home page to read up on the history of Belma™

and how it made its way to Puterbaugh Farms!

PF= Puterbaugh Farms farm grown.

Price:$7.55
Maximum Purchase: 5 unit(s)

Not a bad hop, but nothing like Citra. I brewed an APA with 6oz of belma for a 30 minute hop stand. It had a massive strawberry aroma, but the flavor wasn't quite there. For some strange reason I bittered that beer with chinook and I think it kind of trampled all over the Belma. I still have a half pound that I plan on using for a single hop White IPA. I think that will work better.

Haven't used it yet, but I got a pound online. Me and a few guys were going in on hops to minimize shipping charge. They were $8 pound so I bought. Will post when I try em out

I don't like Belma at all. There's something really weak and unsatisfying about the flavor, even for bittering. Kind of thin and acrid, also a bit bubblegum-y. I have an unopened pound from 2012 season if anyone in Portland OR wants to swing by and pick them up!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I was underwhelmed as well. They are useless for aroma or flavor. Actually not a bad bittering hop, not harsh at all. I've been using it only in my sour/wild beers lately though.

Not a bad hop, but nothing like Citra. I brewed an APA with 6oz of belma for a 30 minute hop stand. It had a massive strawberry aroma, but the flavor wasn't quite there. For some strange reason I bittered that beer with chinook and I think it kind of trampled all over the Belma. I still have a half pound that I plan on using for a single hop White IPA. I think that will work better.

I just cracked a pound of Belma, and used several in a hop stand & dry hop on an imperial CDA. Also bittered with Chinook (and Polaris) so I'm interested to see how my tasting notes will match yours. The scent of the bag of belma was heavenly, but not as intense as the others.

I've tasted several pales ales that have used Belma. I've been mostly underwhelmed. Perhaps there is a good reason this hop is so cheap...

I've tasted several pales ales that have used Belma. I've been mostly underwhelmed. Perhaps there is a good reason this hop is so cheap...

I have herd you wanna use more than you would use another hop

I got some crusader hops last week! Any 1 tried these yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've used belma for bittering. I got them cheap and they have a high Alpha percentage. They worked nicely

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I had Saranac Brewing's Wild Hop Pils about 2 weeks ago, made with Belma hops. It was the last bottle in the store, over in the mix and match section. Boy, I wish I had a case of it.

That Pils was very clean and refreshing, but unlike the greener tastes I get from Saaz-hopped pilsners, this beer had a "purple" aroma to it. It was sort of reminiscent of Brewer's Gold, with a kick of berries and blackcurrants; Fuggles, with sort of a herbal-to-floral, woody note, and something American and sweetly resinous without tasting of grapefruit peel. It was just perfect on that pils.

TL;DR: Belma is one tasty hop. Use it well.

Ill save my money I was going to get a pound next order, but im re-thinking that

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Home Brew mobile app

I brewed a Brett Saison with Belma Sunday. Pulled a sample last night and it tastes really good. I get some nice berry flavors from the Belma that goes well with the esters from the Saison yeast. I'm really excited to see how the hops an the brett play together down the road. I'm happy to share the recipe if anyone is interested.

I brewed an all Belma APA/IPA. HUGE stawberry flavor for me. Eventually, mellowed and I enjoyed it. But, I have no plans to use any more.

Your results may vary.

Strawberries! Pair them with a hops that goes with the berry thing. I don't think they bitter all that well. Seemed somewhat "muddy" on bittering. If that makes sense.

What I would do differently if I brewed an all Belma again:

I used approx. 82% 2-row, 12% Munich (light) and 6% C-40. I'd drop the C-40 to C-20 and lower it to about 3% and switch the Munich to Vienna. I would think about dropping the Vienna too. The strawberry taste needs to be paired with a pretty dry beer IMO.

SG was about 1.74 to about and IBUs were about 42. I'd lower the SG to about 1.066 and raise the IBUs to 60ish.

What I would do differently if I brewed an all Belma again:

I used approx. 82% 2-row, 12% Munich (light) and 6% C-40. I'd drop the C-40 to C-20 and lower it to about 3% and switch the Munich to Vienna. I would think about dropping the Vienna too. The strawberry taste needs to be paired with a pretty dry beer IMO.

SG was about 1.74 to about and IBUs were about 42. I'd lower the SG to about 1.066 and raise the IBUs to 60ish.

Awesome thanks. What about hop additions? Any thoughts on fwh / hop stand / dry hop with Belma and maybe bittering with something cleaner like magnum?

Back