Any of you ever met a hop you didn't like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoodweisen

Reaction score
So i think i dont like hallertau this is why.
I just tapped a pumkin ale today that used hallertau as the aroma hop and i just dont like the after taste. But im thinking that it may be because on my second all-time all-grain batch i made a irish red clone and just thought it was bland so I dryhopped it with some hallertau I had laying around (which in my noobness seemed like a good idea) from a wheat beer I had done so...this maybe the reason i dont like it but i think i just dont like Hallertau as a stand alone hop.
Do any of you have a hop you just dont like?

p.s. I believe ill just sit on this keg for a while and let it mellow.

So i think i dont like hallertau this is why.
I just tapped a pumkin ale today that used hallertau as the aroma hop and i just dont like the after taste. But im thinking that it may be because on my second all-time all-grain batch i made a irish red clone and just thought it was bland so I dryhopped it with some hallertau I had laying around (which in my noobness seemed like a good idea) from a wheat beer I had done so...this maybe the reason i dont like it but i think i just dont like Hallertau as a stand alone hop.
Do any of you have a hop you just dont like?

p.s. I believe ill just sit on this keg for a while and let it mellow.

I've had a few people tell me to be careful when dry hopping with Saaz and other noble hops because of the extreme grassy flavor that takes a while to mellow. Personally I don't like Chinook, except for Arrogant Bastard. I can blindly taste a beer and know it has Chinook because of the raw, harsh bitterness in my throat.

I used to really like simcoe, but over the years I have realised I still like it for aroma, but I can't stand the flavor it imparts.

Some hops I don't like on their own- citra comes to mind. But it's good with other hops.

I'm not a fan of "earthy" hops like fuggles.

I really like most hops but fuggles taste like someone put dirt in my beer.

Have not yet met a hop I did not like, however, I have been brewing less than 1 year and have not had experience with all that many. I like Cascade, Northern Brewer, Saaz, Hallertau, Chinook, Tettnang, Fuggles, Kent Goldings and I love Centennial excellent IPA hop. I would like to try Simcoe, and Amarillo and Willamette in the near future. I will admit to being a hop head.

I've had a few people tell me to be careful when dry hopping with Saaz and other noble hops because of the extreme grassy flavor that takes a while to mellow. Personally I don't like Chinook, except for Arrogant Bastard. I can blindly taste a beer and know it has Chinook because of the raw, harsh bitterness in my throat.

My aversion to Chinook as a bittering hop is so strong I think it may be a mild alergy. There is hardly anything from Southern Tier that I can drink without becoming physically ill, as almost all of their beers have chinook for bittering. Irks me to no end as I have several friends that rave about ST, but when I try a sip, my tounge burns and my throat starts to constrict.

Not a huge Chinook fan, at least not as a bittering hop. Not a fan of Columbus when it's used too heavily. That's really about it.

Simcoe smells like cat piss to me. I cant get past it.

Some beers have a Simcoe addition I dont mind at all, but others just hits me in the nostrils like a tom just pissed in my glass.

Summit. Blah, I really can't stand the flavor that this hop gives. First had it in OB's Gubna, and I found it repugnant. That meaty, garlicy flavor is just not my cup o' tea.

During the last great hops shortage I tried some "Argentine Cascade".

Worst. Hop. Ever!

+1!!!!!!!!!!

These hops tasted like pure earthy, rotten, dirt. They were terrible. I ruined at least two batches of beer with those garbage hops.

Only one hop that I don't like thus far and that's Cluster. Its easily apparent to me why it's a 'hop of the past'. Rough bittering and flavor - never again for me...

Chinook and Citra are great as later additions - especially when paired with other hops. Columbus is a close second to Cluster but like it in moderation when blended with other varieties.

During the last great hops shortage I tried some "Argentine Cascade".

Worst. Hop. Ever!

I was just going to post the same thing!!!!!!!

Here's my experience with that nasty stuff....made a beer that tasted like mosquito repellent.

Here's one of my descriptions of the beer.

Revvy said:
I am 99% sure that I am NOT tasting a green beer, I've tasted enough of it to discern the difference....This is still not a pleasant beer to taste. It starts out sweet, but the taste goes south rapidly and turns into a lemon/medicinal/ cleaning solution flavor, with a bitter lemony aftertaste. It's almost soapy...like a cheap knockoff of lemon pledge....not the original Lemon Pledge, but the cheap generic knockoff from walmart.

If there is ANY breadiness under it from the Marris Otter, it is lost in the Argentinian cascades...The nastiness of the hops are just too overwhelming.

This is the beer that brewing dominatrices use to wash the mouths of bad brewers who drink beer too early....Right Yoop?

Only one hop that I don't like thus far and that's Cluster. Its easily apparent to me why it's a 'hop of the past'. Rough bittering and flavor - never again for me...

Aww man, I like cluster. They are a hop of the present in my arsenal.

Simcoe smells like cat piss to me. I cant get past it.

Some beers have a Simcoe addition I dont mind at all, but others just hits me in the nostrils like a tom just pissed in my glass.

I agree with this statement completely, I have had some Simcoe beers that were great, but most just plain taste like cat piss.

Ahtanum - first and only experience was pure awfulness

I'm allergic to cats, but don't have issues with Simcoe.

Not a big fan of Citra for aroma, but can use it @ 60, 30, 10 in a beer.

NZ Motueka! Has a aroma of barnyard. Not in a nice brett way but just straight up horse-****. Im also tired of nelson by now.

I don't care for Delta. I got a whole pound of leaf and tried to make what I wanted to call "Delta Bomb". Came out more like bland amber ale even though I believe there was 13 oz of delta in there, 3 of which were dry hops.

Amazing when I posted this I thought I would be bombarded with sac-relig popoffs!

Summit= Shweaty Goat Bawls.

yeah heavy summit is extreme garlic in the beers I have tried that had it in. However I justed brewed an IIPA with 8.5oz of hops where 0.5oz of summit (of 1.5oz) at flameout and 0.5oz summit (of 3oz) for dryhop and the brew is great. It is a powerful hop, with 1oz out of 8.5oz and I believe it dominates the flavor and aroma.

yeah heavy summit is extreme garlic in the beers I have tried that had it in. However I justed brewed an IIPA with 8.5oz of hops where 0.5oz of summit (of 1.5oz) at flameout and 0.5oz summit (of 3oz) for dryhop and the brew is great. It is a powerful hop, with 1oz out of 8.5oz and I believe it dominates the flavor and aroma.

I did an all summit IPA 1gal test batch (cuz of the garlic rumors).

It tasted OK till I dry hopped it. Then it tasted like sweat.

Someone told me that the organic summit doesn't taste like that and that the garlic/onion/sweat flavors were b/c the grower over-fertilized.

+1 on the really earthy or grassy ones. In the right conditions they can be alright, but usually it just feels like I'm drinking runoff from a bag of wet grass clippings.

Saaz is complete garbage.

I didn't like Saaz much at first either, but I developed a taste for it.

Bramling Cross. It's okay but the blackcurrant is a bit too much. I have about an oz left after brewing a bitter and porter with it and I think I'll just throw it away.

Back