Any new news on Home Depot Homer buckets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I utilize buckets in my brewing set up to hold the runnings from the mash, runnings from the sparge, and generally to just hold liquids that I'm transferring from kettle to mashtun. I've never used it in fermentation but to each their own I suppose.

Regardless, leaching isn't a practical concern. The FDA, or any other government agency is terribly overly cautious. Plus, the FDA isn't saying there is a problem. They're basically just saying be aware that they don't regulate recycled material. Also, all pails are dyed. Even white ones. The biggest difference between the homer buckets and brew buckets in my experience is that the homer buckets are typically a little thinner and less durable. They are more prone to cracking.

Considering you don't know what the plastic was used for before it was recycled it is a practical concern. If the plastic was storing some sort of poison before it was recycled you definitely don't want that in your bucket. The FDA isn't saying there's a problem they're saying if you want to use recycled plastic in a food container you need to submit to them tests showing the recycling process removes possible contaminants and a description of the proposed use of the plastics. If a company doesn't do that they can't mark it food grade and therefore you don't know what is in the plastic. Having worked with the FDA in my industry, I disagree they are overly cautious. I think there is an extremely good reason for them to regulate what people are potentially putting in their body.

Woah, holy **** this thread is exploding. And all for the wrong reasons.

The linked sites about the FDA and recycled plastics are not the reason why the Homer buckets are not food safe. A non-food-grade HDPE bucket is not food grade because they use a mold release agent that is toxic to help get the molded bucket off the bucket mold at the factory. Food-safe mold release agents are available, but cost about twice as much, so you can pretty safetly assume if a manufacturer does not specify that it's food grade, they've used the cheap version. This is almost certainly the case with Homer buckets because of the rock bottom low price.

OP, if you want to go cheap on the fermenter, then Homer buckets aren't the way to do it. No offense, but the posters say they're not safe are correct. The cheap way is to buy 5 gallon water jugs designed for camping trips. They cost about $6, come with the lid included, and can be drilled in one of two places for either an airlock or a blowoff tube.

I buy mine at WinCo Foods, but their website is really just a landing page, so it's no help. Here's some pictures I snapped during my last trip, for just a topic such as this:

Here's where I chose to drill out for a 5/16" vinyl blowoff tube (leftover piece from a autosiphon):

Or you could drill out the lid for an airlock or blowoff tube. I wanted to preserve the lid in case I ever decided to use them for something other than fermeters later, and drilling the lid also does not allow you to stack them.

There's also some food safe buckets in the picture at a price you might like more than the $15 6.5-gallon fermenters most of us use.

..A non-food-grade HDPE bucket is not food grade because they use a mold release agent that is toxic to help get the molded bucket off the bucket mold at the factory.

Your thoughts on Homer Bucket for grain storage?

Well I have two thoughts on this then, 1 don't buy buckets to begin with, because they won't last long and will need to be replaced. Or - buy the cheapest buckets possible, because those won't last long.

Splitting a batch to two 5 gallon bucks, will have zero effect on the finished product. Anyone saying otherwise, is just trying to justify their purchase of over price ale pales, which you dont need to do - if that works for you, more power to you. There are still beneifits to haveing one single large bucket, like cleaning, etc.

I missed the part where stratnor said he was splitting 5 gallon batch into 2 buckets, which is why he was buying the smaller buckets. Oh yeah, he didn't say anything about it.

If you are balking at a $15 bucket then this hobby is not for you.

If you're surprised people are trying to find a cheaper way to accomplish the same thing, this forum isn't for you. There is an entire DIY section on the forum where people, instead of buying a Blichmann Top Tier for instance, actually try to make their own stuff cheaply. And it works.

If you're surprised people are trying to find a cheaper way to accomplish the same thing, this forum isn't for you. There is an entire DIY section on the forum where people, instead of buying a Blichmann Top Tier for instance, actually try to make their own stuff cheaply. And it works.

Ok....explain to me how you DIY 5 gallons of beer into a 5 gallon container and not have significant losses from blowoff.

I'm all for DIY, but the point is that is should be a workable solution.

Your thoughts on Homer Bucket for grain storage?

Less of a problem than because of lower contact surface and lessened transfer rates, but why take the chance when a food grade 5 gallon bucket is only $1 or so more? ($3.98 in the above picture, plus $1.28 for a non-gasketed lid)

Ok....explain to me how you DIY 5 gallons of beer into a 5 gallon container and not have significant losses from blowoff.

4.5 gallons of a lager with 5 drops of FermCap, no problem. There are guys on here that fill to the 5-gallon weld mark on corny kegs, use FermCap, then put on a blowoff lid and have no problems lagering in them.

In fact, that ultimate cheapo way to get primaries going would be to split a 10-12 gallon batch across 3 ball lock cornys with blowoffs into a single Gatorade bottle of StarSan. If ball lock corny prices keep rising like they have been, you could probably turn them around after 10 years of use and sell them at a profit. 12 gallon batches in a 1/2 bbl Sanke keg would be even cheaper.

I use my 5 gallon camping jugs for Apfelwein. I drink 8 oz of juice, dump in the other 632 ozs of juice, add 2# of dextrose, add a packet of champagne yeast, and shake like hell. Champagne yeast only needs 1/4" to 1/2" of headspace.

Less of a problem than because of lower contact surface and lessened transfer rates, but why take the chance when a food grade 5 gallon bucket is only $1 or so more? ($3.98 in the above picture, plus $1.28 for a non-gasketed lid)

Because I already have a bunch of Homer Buckets. So $1 more becomes $6 x 4 = $24 more

Wow..glad I clicked on this thread!

tumblr_loiicjgadn1qa1lni.gif

in effort to address the topic. I've never fermented in homer buckets but I HAVE used them to store wort overnight on a couple occasions with no problems.

in effort to address the topic. I've never fermented in homer buckets but I HAVE used them to store wort overnight on a couple occasions with no problems.

Define "no problems"?? I would imagine that the trace amounts of the aforementioned "mold release agents" would not cause an immediate problem. Neither would a hunk of lead sitting in the bucket.

I'm not a foil hat kind of guy, but I'm also not thrilled about unnecessarily exposing myself to known poisons. Just trying to ascertain if that's the case here.

This thread's gone full retard.

Why? What's retarded about discussing the costs & benefits of certain brewing equipment?

Define "no problems"?? I would imagine that the trace amounts of the aforementioned "mold release agents" would not cause an immediate problem. Neither would a hunk of lead sitting in the bucket.

I'm not a foil hat kind of guy, but I'm also not thrilled about unnecessarily exposing myself to known poisons. Just trying to ascertain if that's the case here.

Why? What's retarded about discussing the costs & benefits of certain brewing equipment?

As in...I show no signs of growing another head and the beer tasted good.

I get your concerns, and I tend to think the same way...but "food safe" vs. "food grade" sounds like a revenue generation distinction (for the Dep't of Ag) more then anything.

As far as storing grain in buckets...I'm pretty sure homebrewers would be showing some effects at this point if it wasn't safe.

Sure I could be wrong, but I know for a fact that the risk of a prescription drug killing you from an undetected long term effect is exponentially higher.

I like the OPs question because I live in an area where there is no LHBS but there is a Lowes. So in a pinch it is nice to know that I can use one or two food grade buckets from that store. I know there are online places but then I have to consider S&H, wait time, etc. Also I like knowing I can get stuff to homebrew from non-homebrew places like lowes or grocery stores (oats, corn, rice etc.)

I like the OPs question because I live in an area where there is no LHBS but there is a Lowes. So in a pinch it is nice to know that I can use one or two food grade buckets from that store. I know there are online places but then I have to consider S&H, wait time, etc. Also I like knowing I can get stuff to homebrew from non-homebrew places like lowes or grocery stores (oats, corn, rice etc.)

Modesto is probably your closest LHBS? FWIW, If you haven't been, they have a pretty good one, and some of the cheapest corny kegs in the state ;-)

You can't. You make less beer. I make 4 gallon batches without issues. Just scale recipe.

Modesto is probably your closest LHBS? FWIW, If you haven't been, they have a pretty good one, and some of the cheapest corny kegs in the state ;-)

I've been there but I usually make a trip to the Morebeer showroom a couple times a year. If I'm going to drive an hour and a half might as well drive two. I went to school in SB. Shouldn't have moved away...

I've been there but I usually make a trip to the Morebeer showroom a couple times a year. If I'm going to drive an hour and a half might as well drive two. I went to school in SB. Shouldn't have moved away...

Wow...I grew up in the east bay, but lived in Modesto for a year after HS. I learned to ski at Dodge Ridge and we spent many a summer at Ridge Crest. I love your neck of the woods..but I love my home now too. Nice state we live in eh? :mug:

That isn't the first time I've read "If ____________ then this isn't the hobby for you." It seems kind of surprising considering that this used to be done in clay pots without written language. I would expect that kind of response if this were a sailboating forum or forum for people who owned airplanes, but it's a forum about making alcoholic beverages which actually happens spontaneously in nature. So what hobby would you suggest for a tightwad like me? Collecting rocks? Do I need kilobucks worth of "specialized," "deluxe," "state of the art," "scientifically engineered" hobbyist products for that?

OK, I sail AND I brew beer.... and I can say for sure, beer and sailing are almost inseparable.....

Can't comment on the percentage of beer swilling pilots, but to read the news, it's probably higher than you might ordinarily suspect.

Can't comment on the percentage of beer swilling pilots, but to read the news, it's probably higher than you might ordinarily suspect.

I'm a private pilot, if that changes things any. I don't actively fly anymore (too expensive recreationally), but I still hold the license.

While I was working on my B.S. Aviation Management, you learn that the vast majority of pilots use alcohol as a sleep aid to help cope with constant jet lag.

As in...I show no signs of growing another head and the beer tasted good.

I get your concerns, and I tend to think the same way...but "food safe" vs. "food grade" sounds like a revenue generation distinction (for the Dep't of Ag) more then anything.

As far as storing grain in buckets...I'm pretty sure homebrewers would be showing some effects at this point if it wasn't safe.

Sure I could be wrong, but I know for a fact that the risk of a prescription drug killing you from an undetected long term effect is exponentially higher.

Hell, why not eat some lead-based paint chips, touch some liquid mercury or lick a a spent nuclear fuel rod while we're at it? Antifreeze tastes pretty good too, I'm told. Smoking two packs of cigarettes a day doesn't show many outwardly visible short-term side effects either.

I, for one, love my family. And if the difference of a freaking dollar on the price of a bucket could mean the difference between an extra day with them on this Earth or not, I'll sure as hell chose to spend it.

You're still free to spend your money however you like. Freedom's pretty ****ing awesome, isn't it?

Maybe. Would have to be a pretty big club, though.

Most of us just buy fermenters when we need them or when placing an order anyway. I'm not sure how many brewers out there have a huge need for more fermenters, though that may change if you're getting them half off.

Damn I missed it. Did anybody take screenshots? Lol, well I've heard what I needed to hear, thanks for all who provided pertinant information. I won't be using homer buckets to ferment.

...but I will be using 5 gallon buckets... just because

Maybe. Would have to be a pretty big club, though.

Most of us just buy fermenters when we need them or when placing an order anyway. I'm not sure how many brewers out there have a huge need for more fermenters, though that may change if you're getting them half off.

Yeah, if I had the opportunity to grab a couple at a discounted price, I probably would. More fermentation space is always better!!

Check out Firehouse Subs if you have them in your area. They sell the buckets that they get their pickles in for $2 a piece and the proceeds are supposed to go to help buy gear for local fire departments. The buckets are only 5 gal, but its a guarantee that they are food grade.

Here y'all go, after a 15-20 second search on google.....affordable food grade hdpe 2 pails...

• 6 gallon $6.18
  • 5 gallon $4.28 (shh don't tell anyone you're splitting batches)
  • 3.5 gallon $3.54 (for the closet batch splitters that don't like excessive headspace)
  • Lids $1.55

For the OP, if you're curious, just swing into HD or Lowes, look at the bottom and make sure it's hdpe #2 (#1 also works) anything else only use for storage.

For the "Economy Creative Brewers" Don't stop the "Improvise, Adapt and Overcome" mentality, it's keeps the world turning whether it like to admit it or not. Brew sculptures with water filtration, chugger pumps, counterflow chillers, RIMS/HERMS systems may somewhat be for the deeper pockets these days but they were't found in caves with 1500 yr old instructions carved into the walls, they were a product of the guys in their garages with some scrap parts and ingenuity.....

For those with the cash to get things labled specifically for brewing or can afford things already premade/assembled, ready to use out of the box...more power to you, you obviously worked hard to earn your cash and have the right to indulge as you see fit, rock on...

To those that are concerned about dyes or if .00002% of a recycled product once contained something harmful...remember most spring water bottles on store shelves are now made of recycled materials, like the packaging on most "fresh" food in supermarkets, travel mugs, plastic flatware, hell even toilet seats especially public ones....AHHHH stick your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye we are ALL screwed it's EVERYWHERE......Or relax and know that this is an improvement to reuse non-sustainable resources and being to cautious about trying to get that one more day out of life can actually shorten it if not taken in moderation with everything else in life....the immune system needs to be challenged sometimes to work effectively.

AND...As for everybody that took a thread simply asking about a cheap ass orange bucket and found ways to argue with each other (and yeah a lot of it was petty bickering, not constructive debates or discussions), Try, Try, PLEASE try to remember...if YOU like how YOUR brew comes out...it doesn't freakin matter what anyone thinks about how you made it, how they are making theirs or what color jugs it was made in...relax and enjoy it

I would not use a homer bucket. I would not let a dog drink water from a homer bucket. However I do use the translucent HDPE buckets and lids from the same store.

Hell, why not eat some lead-based paint chips, touch some liquid mercury or lick a a spent nuclear fuel rod while we're at it? Antifreeze tastes pretty good too, I'm told. Smoking two packs of cigarettes a day doesn't show many outwardly visible short-term side effects either.

Or while we're at it we could have a pool party at a nuclear reactor....
http://what-if.xkcd.com/29/

First off let me preface this statement: A) I have no real understanding of plastics, B) limited brewing experience, and C) I'm not a tinhat wearing anti-governemtn type.

However, Just because the FDA says something is safe doesn't necessarily mean it is... Granted thats sometimes the best we can hope for, but the below link is an interesting "History of BPA" usage and management by the EPA and FDA, as well as it eventual phasing out for all of those interested:

http://www.ewg.org/reports/bpatimeline

Essentially the FDA denied the harmful effects of BPA in infant formula and other products despite evidence that proved otherwise. They based their official stance upon two studies (one published, one not). It also highlights major conflict of interests by members of the FDA Science Board, receiving large amounts of money from industry lobbyist.

My take home from this thread and the above link:
Just because the FDA says something is FoodSafe or Food Grade does't mean you aren't being exposed to harmful chemicals. The only truly safe option that I'm aware of for the super paranoid is probably glass.

With that being said I have things fermenting in plastic buckets (from Northern Brewer) as we speak. Do I think there is the possibility of carcinogenic compounds leeching from the bucket? Absolutely. Will it change my brewing practices? Nope. Would I buy buckets from Home Depot and brew in them? If I needed a bucket in a pinch, sure, why not. We are exposed to so much crap thats going to kill us already. I try to minimize my exposure to some degree, but I'm pretty much sure we are all screwed anyways.

In the words of Papazian "Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew."

:cheers:

Damn I missed it. Did anybody take screenshots? Lol, well I've heard what I needed to hear, thanks for all who provided pertinant information. I won't be using homer buckets to ferment.

...but I will be using 5 gallon buckets... just because

then scale your recipe to 4-4.5 gallons or split 5 gallons between 2 buckets. 5 gallons in 5 gallon bucket will take you right to the lip.

Putting 5 gallons of fermenting ale in a 5 gallon bucket, I would estimate you would lose 0.5 gallon to blowoff. That's a lost 6 pack every batch. If you value your homebrew similarly to craft brew...that's a $8-12 loss per batch.

That extra $8-12 for a bigger bucket doesn't seem like such a rip-off now does it?

As I said, penny-wise, pound foolish....

I was thinking about these buckets, the food grade 5gallon Lowes ones, and they might be an easy way for me to jump ti nine gallon batches. I have two better bottles, and am generally fermenting two beers at once, so I could put five gallons of a batch in the better bottle and four in the Lowes bucket. I might do this until I make another order from an online brew store (I generally plan my orders to last a year) and pick up a couple more better bottles.

I have three of them and used them almost exclusively for long term bulk grain storage. I have however used one for a 4.0 gallon batch of beer a few months ago without any issues. Very easy to convert the lid as it had a rubber stopped the size of an air bung I popped out.

Don't know if I would ever put more then 4 gallons into it though... When the krausen came up it got very, very close to the lid.

then scale your recipe to 4-4.5 gallons or split 5 gallons between 2 buckets. 5 gallons in 5 gallon bucket will take you right to the lip.

Putting 5 gallons of fermenting ale in a 5 gallon bucket, I would estimate you would lose 0.5 gallon to blowoff. That's a lost 6 pack every batch. If you value your homebrew similarly to craft brew...that's a $8-12 loss per batch.

That extra $8-12 for a bigger bucket doesn't seem like such a rip-off now does it?

As I said, penny-wise, pound foolish....

I disagree with this statement. The cost of a 4 gallon batch is less then a 5 gallon so there is no loss of money going smaller. And I don't believe factoring in time is relevant as this is a hobby... But if we did and we assumed we were making our normal rate of pay (or overtime because its usually done on a weekend) then suddenly home brewing doesn't seem much of a cost saving endeavor anymore.

I disagree with this statement. The cost of a 4 gallon batch is less then a 5 gallon so there is no loss of money going smaller. And I don't believe factoring in time is relevant as this is a hobby... But if we did and we assumed we were making our normal rate of pay (or overtime because its usually done on a weekend) then suddenly home brewing doesn't seem much of a cost saving endeavor anymore.

that's fine, but you have to at least concede that the beer you would lose to blow-off is worth something. In that case, there is a break-even point where is makes sense to buy the larger bucket to avoid that loss.

The same goes for labor....sure you might not value it to what you get paid for work, but your time is definitely worth something isn't it? Is an extra 8-12 bucks worth being able to put in the same amount of labor to get 5 gallons instead of 4? (not to mention....with a 7 gallon bucket you can brew a 5.25 gallon batch to end up with a full 5 gallons)

You could even call it an intangible cost...lets say you LOVED that latest batch of beer and you are all out. How much would you pay to have another 6-pack of it? You could consider that towards how much you are willing to pay for a slightly larger bucket (or how much to upgrade to a 10 gallon system, but I digress).

Again, if you are doing the traditional 5 gallon batch a 7 gallon fermenter is the BEST tool for the job.

Back