Any Musicians out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
talleymonster said:
Definition of a drummer:

A guy who likes to hang out with real musicians.:D

j/k I used to play on the drums. I've got a natural rhythym for it. I've never owned a set of drums so I don't really consider myself a drummer.

i have to say i kinda agree. especially when i was doing classical percussion in middle school. 3 guys on percussion meant one snare, one base, and one for whatever else was needed. got boring fast.

talleymonster said:
Definition of a drummer:

A guy who likes to hang out with real musicians.:D

That's actually not far off. I'm the only shlub from my last long term band that isn't playing professionally anymore. The bass player is now touring with Black Label Society.

Played drums for 14yrs, guitar for 16 and fiddled with bass. My heros for the respective instruments are John "Bonzo" Bonham, and Neil Peart. For guitar, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix.

Recently started teaching myself classical guitar in my old age (34). Really appreciate Julian Bream and Andres Segovia.

Played drums for a year or so when I was 14...started playing the guitar at 17...closing in on 54 and still playing...classic rock/rock/southern rock...:rockin:

Guitars:
Fender Telecaster Deluxe (US) (Natural Ash) (1976)
Fender Stratocaster w/ Floyd Rose (Mexican) (Black/Black) (1999)
Fender Stratocaster (Mexican) (White/Midnight Wine) (2001)
Fender Stratocaster Squire (Chinese) (White/Black) (2000)
Kaman Matrix Electric/Acoustic (US) (Sunburst) (1981)

Amps:
Fender Princeton Reverb (1976)
Line 6 Vetta Combo (2002)
Line 6 Vetta Combo FBV Longboard (2003)
Pignose Hog 20 Amp

Pedals:
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Digitech RP-300 Multi-effects
Electra Metal Max (608HM)
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Deluxe (1970s)
Electro-Harmonix Linear Line Booster
Electro-Harmonix Small Stone Phase Shifter EH4800
Ibanez GE10 Graphic Equalizer
MXR Distortion +
MXR Noise Gate Line Driver

Yeah, but can you rock out on this?

TubasandBeer.jpg
:rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin:

I started out in music playing the oboe in grade school. Quit that in high school so I didn't look like a fag carrying my little brief case to school to my Dad's dismay and traded it for the guitar. Never looked back.

Been playing guitar for 17 years and have a bass and 88-key midi-controller that I can make music with. I got into recording with Cakewalk as well and with "Drag-and-Drop Drummer" can sound like a full band recorded in a studio. I love guitar effects, but mainly vintage ones. I have too many to count, but my mainstay signal path is Fender Strat (or Les Paul Gold Top) -> MXR Dyna Comp -> Boss SD-1 -> Korg SDD-3000 (Digital Delay rack unit) -> Vox AC30.

I play guitar. You name it, I can play it.... or figure it out. Been jammin for almost 20 years. These days, just writing by myself. I got a wife and two kids. Ya'll know the story.

Thanks Erohver, we spent a lot of time in the studio on those, more to come.

99, I can't STAND any guitar with trem. There's some pretty nasty conversions out there, but the simplest one is to create as much spring tension as you can, then jam a piece of wood in between the backend of the bridge's spring support and the body of the guitar. Works pretty well, if you don't mind all the extra hardware leftover from the trem. I'll post pics of what I've done to them in a day or two.

Many years on harmonica. When I was a traveling advertising salesman, I found that the harp is the only instrument you can practice while you drive.

I play fairly well by myself, but I just can't play along with other musicians.:confused:

Guitar

Mandolin

Drums

In that order. Just got the mandolin about three years ago and haven't been playing anything for some time but I've played music in general for fifteen years or so. Had a close friend with an amazing professional studio who'd give us free time on Sundays from 11pm till we had to go to work in the am, alas he sold it almost five years ago...haven't really played more than half hour stretches every few months since then <cut to tears rolling down a thirty something face into what looks like a nice amber colored glass of beer>

i think everyone i know and work with claims to play the guitar.

i've been playing for 15+ years, started when I was young and I've enjoyed playing ever since.

i'm not one of those guys who thinks he's awesome and everytime sees a guitar feels the need to pick it up and start playing "stairway to heaven" or "everlong", hey that's great you can play the guitar, wow.

sorry, this is slightly OT, but i saw an episode of Family Guy were Stewie talks about how *****ebags have ruined the guitar.... funny, reminds me of every guy I went to college with.

anyway, i've been playing for a long time and i still think i suck, perhaps that's why I never really pursued the whole "i'm going to be a rockstar thing" I played in a band for about 5 years and we all had a nice go at it, played a few places and such, but we all went our separate ways... we stopped playing b/c of work and wanting careers.

I have a cousin who is a "starving artist", married with a child and he insists on not getting a job b/c his band kicks ass and he's going to be a rockstar.

can anyone tell me if screaming, loud and overall offense to all sense and just horrible music has become popular? well, it must not be or else i'm sure my cousin would be rich and famous.

Homercidal said:
What?? No Van Halen divebombs?

Ok, I dont' use mine much either, but I still like some good hard rock guitar god playing though.

haha!

I always recommend the Squier Bullet Strat over the "soft-tailed" ones. Even though it's a Squier, it's a really great guitar, well made, sounds good, and it's easy to modify. It's nothing like a '71 strat or a '66 SG, but for a noob, I always recommend the Bullet or the Epi Junior.

Country/Blues/RocknRoll, my average acoustic set can contain anything from Alan Jackson to Alice Cooper...

index.cfm

Been playing guitar for about 12 years - never for money just fun. Play the rock and blues spectrum, a lot of rhythm and some pentatonic lead. Messing around with the digeradoo and looking for a theramin.

I was just thinking about starting a musicians thread, after I saw Jaded's Guitar thread from a few days ago.

I've been playing resophonic guitar for about 3 years- I dig on bluegrass, blues, folk. I'm also studying West African djembe and perform with an African dance/drum troupe in Lancaster, PA. Didjeridu has been my primary instrument for 8 years, and I've traveled to Arnhemland, Australia to learn from the Yolngu masters. I opened JDIDJ to give exposure to indigenous didjeridu craftsmen in 2007.

24 years at guitar now. Couple vids from my cover band here.

[youtube]Yxcy4Uud1lc[/youtube]

[youtube]t1uljv2ByFw[/youtube]

Guitar and bass here. Been playing since 1980... which was when I heard Randy Rhoads, and I promptly walked about 5 miles to Arnold & Morgan Music and plopped down my saved lunch money and bought a $50 guitar. One of the happiest days of my life.

Right now I have about 10 guitars and a couple of half stacks that are juiced by a vintage Orange 120 head and an old Hiwatt 100 head. I have no idea how many effects pedals I have because I make them as well & they come and go. It's fun.

...wow I'm suprised I'm not the only TUBA player on the board.
Started on trumpet & trombone in High School, then over to Tuba, Sousaphone & baritone later on. Picked up the guiter in HS also. Had to learn piano for some gawd-forsaken music theory class in college (I thought it'd be easy since i knew so much about music from "band"). I picked up a banjo when I was living in Great Falls MT, then bought a mandolin later on.

I was in a pretty serious garage rock band once upon a time. Our "stichk" was that we would always trade instruments, so I'm at least proficient on a trap set or on the bass.

Next is either an upright bass, or maybe a fiddle.

Lets see, 6 guitars, a marshall stack, prolly 5K worth of pedal effects & processors, a banjo, a bass, my trumpet is around somewhere, and an old pawn shop mandolin. I still have my first Peavey predator amp & a crate 250 that was my stage monitor..if I got really peeved at the band I could crank it up & drown out everybody else.

cheers.
zac

...wow I'm suprised I'm not the only TUBA player on the board.

Uh, of all the instruments in any band, which is most associated with beer drinking. The flute? I don't think so.

Like the joke says, three tuba players walk past a bar. Hey it COULD happen.

wow, 3 of us! we orta go start our own group!

I think my left shoulder got lowered a few inches from carrying my sousaphone around during marching band (bad geek alert), so to even it out, I started carrying a chainsaw on my right shoulder to make up for it.

Wow, where has all the time gone? Time for tubas, brats & beers... humm.. I'm hungry.

cheers.
Zac

I play guitar and bass. I used to play piano as a kid, now I'm trying to relearn it. Glad the internet makes learning an instrument that much more accessible.

Drums mainly. Been playing for about 13 years or so. Been playing guitar for about 10 as well. Toured and all that fun stuff.

I like playing in party shorts.

l_773b3ed952b1eab4d7eabcd91864ac3d.jpg

l_ea0d7129aea5f9eb1560670b2c2661f6.jpg

Give the sound a sec to catch up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back