Any issues with using welded SS tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarrsipius

Reaction score
I'm building a single tier system and am wondering if anyone has any advise on using welded 1/2OD stainless tubing for moving the wort around? Will the seam create a significant contamination risk? My other option is copper pipe.

as long as the wort will be boiled in the end sanitation is not a problem. I have seen people recirculate boiling wort through their system in order to sanitize the pipes

Why do you want to use welded. "Seamless or DOM" would be ideal. Is it a cost issue?
It all depends on if there are weld protrusions along the weld seam. A lot of welded tubing has a flush, very smooth finished weld seam. Sometimes it takes a close look just to find the seam. If that's the case, with this particular tubing I would say it's OK.

The welded tubing will work well for the brew system, the threaded connections are many orders of magnitude worse for sanitation that the normal mill finish on the inside of the welded tubing. As I purchase and install thousands of feet of stainless steel tubing each year I have gained a fair bit of experience on the subject. Try to use either .035 or .049 wall thickness as the .020 is too thin to bend with hand tools,and .065 is difficult to bend.

Why do you want to use welded. "Seamless or DOM" would be ideal. Is it a cost issue?
It all depends on if there are weld protrusions along the weld seam. A lot of welded tubing has a flush, very smooth finished weld seam. Sometimes it takes a close look just to find the seam. If that's the case, with this particular tubing I would say it's OK.

Thanks for all the info. It is just a cost issue. Seamless is significantly more expensive than welded. In fact, I'm seriously considering going with copper instead of stainless for all plumbing due to cost. I think that money can be better spent elsware in the system. If I save $100 on plumbing, I can but a better chiller or something like that.

I don't blame you, this hobby can get expensive.
Stainless gives that "bling" factor, and there are advantages to using it.
I just don't feel the urge to throw that much money into it.(yet)
Lucky for me I weld for a living so that has saved me a bundle.
Being in the metal fabrication business also helps out with materials too.

Why not just use silicone tubing with quick disconnects? Works great and future proof.

Why not just use silicone tubing with quick disconnects? Works great and future proof.

I'm setting mine up to be valve controlled for moving the wort. i don't want to have to disconnect anything. The only time I'll have to disconnect is when switching form whirlpool to chilling. Also, I'm using tri clamps to make the system easier to keep clean.

I'm setting mine up to be valve controlled for moving the wort. i don't want to have to disconnect anything.

Understood. My first system was hard plumbed with valves, I recently switched to good silicone lines and shut offs during a RIMS upgrade, and I'm much happier. YMMV.

Back