Any ideas on what to brew in south Tx when its hot as hell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveWade

Reaction score
I don't have a beer fridge w a temp control and my house is prob about 75 degrees. What can I brew the will ferment well at that temp? Or any ideas on how to maintain my fermentation at a lower stable temperature during the course of fermentation?

These ferment at higher temps? I just did a saison but this sounds like a good suggestion

With surprisingly little effort, you can maintain adequate temps with a swamp cooler and exchanging frozen water bottles about twice per day. I've done this in the past and got my temps a little too low...our thermostat is set at 78.

With surprisingly little effort, you can maintain adequate temps with a swamp cooler and exchanging frozen water bottles about twice per day. I've done this in the past and got my temps a little too low...our thermostat is set at 78.

THIS. I had the same concern, these guys showed me the light. We use a rubbermaid tub full of water and 4 frozen Ozarka water bottles 2 or 3 times a day. Swamp cooler water is sitting around 62-64 degrees, so I'm guessing that even with a 5 degree differential, fermenter is no higher than 70.

THIS. I had the same concern, these guys showed me the light. We use a rubbermaid tub full of water and 4 frozen Ozarka water bottles 2 or 3 times a day. Swamp cooler water is sitting around 62-64 degrees, so I'm guessing that even with a 5 degree differential, fermenter is no higher than 70.

+ 1. My goto method was to use one of those square igloo cube coolers and put my carboy in there. You could maintain some low temps by changing out the frozen water bottles before and after work. I also made a little styrofoam cutout to cover the top and a little hole for the blowoff tube.

I live in Dallas and this summer has actually been hotter here than South Texas! I keep my inside thermostat at 79, so I am used to warm weather brewing. I like wheats and love the banana/clove esters, so I don't mind fermenting it at 75-80 degrees. For my more picky brews, I use a rubbermaid tub filled with water, put a tee shirt over my carboy to wick up water, then put a small fan pointed directly at the shirt to cool it down. I use 2 - full gallon jugs of frozen water to maintain the cooler temps longer while I am at work/sleep. I found I can swap these when I wake up before going to work, when I get home, and before bed and it keeps my fermentation temps well below 70 degrees easily. I also use SafeAle S-05 yeast as it goes up to 75 degrees and still ferments clean with little to no off flavors.

A little hassle, but worth it for cleaner tasting beers when you live in hot locations like we do.

+ 1. My goto method was to use one of those square igloo cube coolers and put my carboy in there. You could maintain some low temps by changing out the frozen water bottles before and after work. I also made a little styrofoam cutout to cover the top and a little hole for the blowoff tube.

I've seen those, but never really thought to size one for a carboy - which model was it, any idea? Another swamp cooler = room for another primary :rockin:

Stupid question but what exactly is a swamp cooler? I do remember about a year ago when I took a hiatus from extract brewing someone suggested putting my carboy into a fish tank w a termostat control to keep the water at a constant temperature. Any problems w this other than extra equipment?

Stupid question but what exactly is a swamp cooler? I do remember about a year ago when I took a hiatus from extract brewing someone suggested putting my carboy into a fish tank w a termostat control to keep the water at a constant temperature. Any problems w this other than extra equipment?

Instead of spending the money on this. Get a craiglist freezer and the $50 cheapo temp controller. I did both for $75.

I've seen those, but never really thought to size one for a carboy - which model was it, any idea? Another swamp cooler = room for another primary :rockin:

I think they are called the ColdMAX series or something like that. But I think there is only 1 true square igloo cooler.

But like the last poster said, the chest freezer and temp controller are freaking money. picked up that combo last week and it's very nice to just set it and forget it.

got a 5000 BTU air conditioner at homeyD for $89 a few years back and put it in my pantry. I keep it a 67 degrees. I have it plugged into a kilowatt and it costs about $10 a year to run

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a beer fridge w a temp control and my house is prob about 75 degrees. What can I brew the will ferment well at that temp? Or any ideas on how to maintain my fermentation at a lower stable temperature during the course of fermentation?

Saison, all ya gotta do is keep it under 95 degrees and your set, that should be easy! On a side note, i do all my brews in Ohio In Summer, and the standard room temp is about 80, I do get more esters, but then i like esters so it works out, Unless i use Nottingham, that yeast seems to stay clean no matter what temp i ferment at, either that or the esters just are not strong enough from it for MY taste buds to pick up(i am a smoker so my taste buds are not all that sensitive)

evaporative cooling

got a 5000 BTU air conditioner at homeyD for $89 a few years back and put it in my pantry. I keep it a 67 degrees. I have it plugged into a kilowatt and it costs about $10 a year to run
How does this work for you? I am an HVAC guy and I am wondering where the hot air goes? AC systems remove heat not add cold air, so does the rest of your house get hot from the out side of the window unit and then your home AC system have to pick up that added heat and remove that? It doesn't make sense to me in theory...

Last edited by a moderator:
Taypo said:

So I'm not familiar w swamp coolers. It's this a fan you're blowing over frozen water bottles or something you're putting the carboy in w water and frozen water bottles?

From Florida as well, i got a pretty large freezer off craigs for $60 and a thermo controller from NB, just shell out the cash and grab this stuff. It's not worth the ice and all the other stuff, to me it's not anyway. your beer will be amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Latest posts

Back