Any hunters out here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going elk scouting as we speak. Sure my hunt doesn't start for 7 weeks but the weather is getting cooler and the rut should be starting soon. Nothing like bugling bull elk on a rainy night in the woods.

How many of you guys shoot Muzzleloaders? They have a powder for modern inline rifles called BlackHorn209, it is freek'en great. You can shoot the 12oz can all in the same day and never clean the muzzleloader. I'm not kidding. It's about $40 for the 12oz can

This thread brings back some happy memories.

I was a young Marine just joining the Fleet and was stationed on Guam. Wasn't d#&k to do there until a SSgt asked me if I was into hunting. Wild hogs were considered a nuisance and there was no limit.

From then on we always kept the gear in the trunk of his car. We'd blast a few of the porkers, clean them and get the outdoor BBQ started up. The surrounding barracks' would empty out and everyone brought beer as the price of admission. Man, life was sweet.

AZ_IPA said:
Going elk scouting as we speak. Sure my hunt doesn't start for 7 weeks but the weather is getting cooler and the rut should be starting soon. Nothing like bugling bull elk on a rainy night in the woods.

Amen

How many of you guys shoot Muzzleloaders? They have a powder for modern inline rifles called BlackHorn209, it is freek'en great. You can shoot the 12oz can all in the same day and never clean the muzzleloader. I'm not kidding. It's about $40 for the 12oz can

I used to hunt the muzzeloader seasons in NJ with my uncle, but since having kids I haven't been able to get out as much as I used to. I'm hoping next year I can start again. I swear to all that anyone holds dear that I've only fired a muzzeloader 3 times in my entire life, each time taking a NJ deer with 1 shot! If it wasn't for my uncle being present for all three, no one would ever believe it.

What places we have left to hunt up here are swarmed with city folk with their expensive gear & vehicles. Small parcels of public land here & there. They even concider leavins on a farmers field as baiting & must be removed. Crazy dumb white fools in government. This state is run by friggin retards!
No place for atracker to hunt with a 50 cal Hawken rifle. It has a cherry wood stock & is from TC. At this point,it works better then I do. Can't hardly walk anymore to go out in the woods.

I have lots of other guns I reload for, I even cast my own bullets out of wheel weights; but the muzzleloader is my favorite to shoot, lots of fun. I don't know why I like shooting it so much. On a good day I can drop bullets in at two hundred yards and keep them all on a target the size of a paper plate, keep in mind it's hard for me to see 200 yards away. In many states they have muzzleloader only sessions that you can buy tags for over the counter.

I love hunting but where I live now there is very little public land available and what little is available is grossly over hunted. I'm not from here so it's very hard to get access to private land. If I had the time to travel out to the western side of the state and set up camp for a week then there would be plenty of public land but it's nearly impossible to get that kind of time off in recent years. So I've wasted a lot of money in permits and I haven't bagged more then a few squirrels and turkeys since I moved to this state.

Last year my good friend said you folks in Nebraska had a bad outbreak of "Blue-toung". I did bow hunt for many years, but stuff has gotten in the way of me spending that kind of time and money hunting. I bet, in my life, I've spent 20K in hunting permits and stuff like shotgun shells, gas, food for the trip, strip-bar, just consumables, the thing you can't go hunting without. These days of low funds and higher priced everything, I have no choice but to give up some of it. But not WI deer rifle season, opening morning I'll be barking fire, unloading the rifle the fun way. Seriously though, the farmer/owner wants doe's down due to all the crop damage, herds of 60-70 run through all the time opening day. My record for opening day is 8 deer. Butchering that many is a lot of work. This is a picture of me when I was younger with my first bow kill buck.

Last year my good friend said you folks in Nebraska had a bad outbreak of "Blue-toung". I did bow hunt for many years, but stuff has gotten in the way of me spending that kind of time and money hunting. I bet, in my life, I've spent 20K in hunting permits and stuff like shotgun shells, gas, food for the trip, strip-bar, just consumables, the thing you can't go hunting without. These days of low funds and higher priced everything, I have no choice but to give up some of it. But not WI deer rifle season, opening morning I'll be barking fire, unloading the rifle the fun way. Seriously though, the farmer/owner wants doe's down due to all the crop damage, herds of 60-70 run through all the time opening day. My record for opening day is 8 deer. Butchering that many is a lot of work. This is a picture of me when I was younger with my first bow kill buck.
http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/mikescooling/media/Puppyandarcherybuck006_zps751d9e8f.jpg.html

8 deer in a day. I've only ever been legally able to take 2 in a season in Nebraska. The blue tongue thing wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be. Starting to think if I can get the time off I need to just spend the money and head north.

Unfortunately we cannot hunt these guys in FL. Switching now to acorns and deer pellets.
Before y'all start squaking about baiting these feeders are used year round in conjunction with food plots. Vegetation in FL is very nutrient poor as is soil. This improves overall herd health.

PRMS1180.jpg

PRMS1337.jpg

I got busted for the first time in 5 years tonight...Damn deer!!! On the plus side as I was driving home I passed a field that had about 100- 150 deer in it (no joke) and I saw two bucks up on their hind legs boxing with their front legs. Coolest thing I think I have ever seen hunting related.

Dove? Yes. Duck? Absolutely. Turkeys? Mmm hmm. Anything that requires me to sit on my ass in the freezing cold with a high likelihood of not seeing anything? No.

We got our caribou already and are going out for moose this week, use rifle mostly but I like to pick ptarmigan and grouse on the wing with a shotgun. Getting set for winter and watching the mountain tops for termination dust.

oh don't say the T word!!!!

from some years ago (crappy camera), North of Kotzebue, Alaska... herd of Caribou just cruising past camp, makes it more of a harvest hunt than an actual hunt lol but they taste amazing regardless..

FL000009.JPG

I drew my buck tag, and my hair tag for elk this year. I'm pretty stoked to fill the freezer with meat.

Cooked up some some of my amazing venison from last year's doe tonight. The highlight of my past 6 months was hearing my 2 year old daughter say, "I love deer meat!"

Tonight's meal was actually an awesome one all around: my venison, a tomato/cucumber/basil salad all from my garden, and farmer's market corn and potatoes.

Good luck to everyone in the coming seasons. This year will probably be my last "slim" hunting season. If all goes well, starting next year I can get back to hunting how I used to: nearly every weekend!!!

Sounds like a very tasty meal, put some venison chops on the smoker last weekend and they were great. My frezzer is almost empty, I'm glad the season stars soon. Good luck.

Here's a couple of sandwiches we like to prepare before we hit the wilds:

How to Make A (Proper British) Shooter's Sandwich
Poor man’s Beef Wellington, made for carrying about the countryside while hunting. When prepared properly, keeps well for up to 3 days as long as the wraps are not disturbed – no longer than 3 days.
1. You'll need your choice of crusty loaf, a couple of good thin cut steaks (about ½” thick or less) roughly the same shape as the loaf, 1lb of mushrooms and 1/2lb of shallots or mild onions.
Note: You could use Cubed Steak, mince some garlic and pound that into the meat prior to cooking – don’t overcook – or the garlic will get bitter!
2. Slice off the top quarter of the loaf, remove most of the center and save for breadcrumbs
3. Dice shallots and mushrooms fine and put about 4tbsp of butter into the pan. I got lucky and had a similar quantity of bone marrow left over in the fridge
4. Cook mushrooms and shallots in the butter until deeply browned and reduced in size. Once they're done, season to your taste. I used plenty of salt and black pepper, some finely grated garlic, a shot of brandy (or a good beer) and a splash of Worcestershire sauce. Those fearing scurvy might add some chopped parsley or other herbs of choice too
5. Season your steaks and bring them to the pink side of medium in a searing hot dry pan.
6. IMPORTANT: Don't rest the steaks. Work fast and tuck the first one straight into the bottom of the hollow loaf
7. Dollop in your hot mushroom mixture
8. Tuck your second steak over the mushrooms. At this stage I usually smear hot horseradish on the top steak and Dijon mustard on the inside of the lid
9. Fit the lid back on to the loaf
10. Wrap in wax paper and tie with butcher's string like this. Then wrap in two layers of foil and smash flat under a heavy cutting board and as many weights as you can find
11. Leave under the weights in a reasonably cool place (don't refrigerate) for at least 6 hours or preferably overnight. Remove the foil and cut through string, paper and sandwich. ENJOY!

Now the Good Ole American Version
Ingredients:
• Your choice of a crusty round loaf of bread (a sourdough bowl is perfect).
• 2 to 4 good boneless steaks (steak is always used for the traditional version), though sausages or other meats of your choice can be used as well. The size and quantity of meat needs to match up roughly with the bread that you select. The sandwich is layered; you want 2 layers of meat, each roughly filling the whole of the cavity of bread you scoop out of the loaf.
• 1/2lb of mushrooms, diced
• 2 good sized shallots, finely minced
• 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
• 1/4C butter
• 2tbsp of olive oil
• 1C of Cognac (Brandy, Whiskey, Good Beer)
• 1/4lb of good soft milk cheese and some shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano (optional)
• 1/2C chopped Parsley
• A good coarse ground mustard - I prefer stone ground mustards)
• Hot prepared horseradish (optional)

Experiment with ingredients and flavors.

1. Slice off the top quarter of the loaf, hook out most of the crumb and save for breadcrumbs.
2. Cut your shallots, garlic and mushrooms into fine dice and add butter and olive oil to the pan.
3. Cook mushrooms and shallots in the butter and olive oil, stirring continuously, until they've softened, reduced in size and lost a substantial amount of moisture.
4. Slowly, and carefully add the cognac to the pan and reduce until the liquid is nearly gone - and absorbed into the mushrooms.
5. Season your steaks as you like and bring them to the pink side of medium in a hot pan or on the grill. Don't bother resting them. Work fast and tuck the first layer, dripping and hot, straight into the bottom of the hollow loaf. It doesn't matter if the juices leak now - in fact it just makes the whole thing even better.
Note: if instead of steaks you use Brats or other sausages, cook them thoroughly!
6. Layer in your hot mushroom mixture and then your cheese (if you choose to add it) then top it with your second steak(s). At this stage I usually smear hot horseradish on the top steak and Dijon mustard on the inside of the lid before fitting it back on to the loaf.
7. Wrap the whole thing in two layers of parchment paper and tie with butcher's string, press the whole package flat under a heavy cutting board or baking stone and as many weights as you can find. Leave under the weights in a reasonably cool place (don't refrigerate) for at least 6 hours before moving to a refrigerator overnight (with as much of the weight as you can fit with it). Other directions will tell you to leave the whole package out overnight - I don't think this is safe, so I move mine to the fridge after 3 hours on the counter.
8. Preheat your oven to 300°F.
9. Bake the now pressed sandwiches for 15 minutes on a baking stone or baking sheet - with paper and string
10. To serve cut through string & paper and slice the loaf into wedges. Best served sitting on a rock, on the side of a river or with a fantastic view.
Other options: Jalapeno Peppers, bell peppers, fresh/dried herbs of your choice, marinate the steaks before cooking/grilling – get creative – make a sandwich you will enjoy.

I'm taking my puppy pheasant hunting for the first time. I asked the hunting lodge if they had a guide who trains puppies, they said yes, so I booked a separate hunt just for her.

Can't hunt this opening weekend for antelope due to a wedding. Very unfortunate. However, I'll be Antelope hunting the remainder of the month along with sage grouse. Then it's mulies the first week of October and Elk the last two weeks of October! Best time of the year! Brewing is now on the back burner and unfortunately 3 of 4 taps on my frig are dry. Oh we'll, that's what November is for.

Rather than start a new thread, I thought this would fit in here.

As I've said, I used to hunt quite a bit, but just don't get around to it much anymore. I'm an unapologetic omnivore, though.

But just recently I've wondered if I'm a bit of a hypocrite...

Some business acquaintances had been missing from the last couple of our bi-weekly meetings and we heard they went on a safari. They show up last week and I ask the son how things went. “Well, we got held up in London because we had ammo in our luggage, the truck got broken into and some of our rifles were stolen, but I shot a lion, a cape buffalo, (some kind of antelope thing), and a zebra. We didn’t get an elephant or a rhino, though”

I didn’t even know they still did safaris where you actually shot stuff. I thought they were going to take pictures. I told him it was a good thing he didn’t shoot an elephant or a rhino since he was going to have enough of a karma bill to pay off for the lion. But a zebra? It’s a horse with a custom paint job.

I’ve shot enough of God’s little animals to know their place in the grand scheme of things, but I always ate what I shot.

Hunting zebras?

So, I guess I'm ok with hunting, just not killing for the sake of vanity. It did make me take a look at things.

The place where we had booked a hunt had a aggressive Bull break out of one of the fences and was running around the hunting area, so that days hunt was a no-go. Then a local farmer said we could walk his fields and hunt doves for free, which I thought was nice. We get back to my friends farm and my puppy starts smelling the thick brush pile next to the broken boat. Out pops a rabbit and I blast it in the parking lot. Rabbit-ala-jockey-box and we had it for dinner that night. Puppys first rabbit.

On this trip I packed, fishing stuff, hunting stuff, camping stuff, shooting stuff, and I didn't bring the Cannon SLR camera. I am still kicking myself for not bringing the good camera, lots of funny great pictures were missed on one great weekend. I would have loved some pictures of people around the campfire, or the dinners we made.

Rhumbline said:
Rather than start a new thread, I thought this would fit in here. As I've said, I used to hunt quite a bit, but just don't get around to it much anymore. I'm an unapologetic omnivore, though. But just recently I've wondered if I'm a bit of a hypocrite... Some business acquaintances had been missing from the last couple of our bi-weekly meetings and we heard they went on a safari. They show up last week and I ask the son how things went. “Well, we got held up in London because we had ammo in our luggage, the truck got broken into and some of our rifles were stolen, but I shot a lion, a cape buffalo, (some kind of antelope thing), and a zebra. We didn’t get an elephant or a rhino, though” I didn’t even know they still did safaris where you actually shot stuff. I thought they were going to take pictures. I told him it was a good thing he didn’t shoot an elephant or a rhino since he was going to have enough of a karma bill to pay off for the lion. But a zebra? It’s a horse with a custom paint job. I’ve shot enough of God’s little animals to know their place in the grand scheme of things, but I always ate what I shot. Hunting zebras? So, I guess I'm ok with hunting, just not killing for the sake of vanity. It did make me take a look at things.

Yeah that's disgusting. There's a special place in hell for someone who shoots African species just to brag about it. I wish we could hunt those people

Rather than start a new thread, I thought this would fit in here.

As I've said, I used to hunt quite a bit, but just don't get around to it much anymore. I'm an unapologetic omnivore, though.

But just recently I've wondered if I'm a bit of a hypocrite...

Some business acquaintances had been missing from the last couple of our bi-weekly meetings and we heard they went on a safari. They show up last week and I ask the son how things went. “Well, we got held up in London because we had ammo in our luggage, the truck got broken into and some of our rifles were stolen, but I shot a lion, a cape buffalo, (some kind of antelope thing), and a zebra. We didn’t get an elephant or a rhino, though”

I didn’t even know they still did safaris where you actually shot stuff. I thought they were going to take pictures. I told him it was a good thing he didn’t shoot an elephant or a rhino since he was going to have enough of a karma bill to pay off for the lion. But a zebra? It’s a horse with a custom paint job.

I’ve shot enough of God’s little animals to know their place in the grand scheme of things, but I always ate what I shot.

Hunting zebras?

So, I guess I'm ok with hunting, just not killing for the sake of vanity. It did make me take a look at things.

My stepson's biological dad, did an African Safari this past summer. They spent 10 days shooting animals. He couldn't afford to pay for all of the trophies and the only bit of meat they got to keep they had to eat right there in Zimbabwe, at the ranch. He said the majority of the meat was provided to the local villages and they were not allowed to bring any home. No rhinos or elephants were shot and only one of their group got a lion and it was a lioness. He shot Zebra, Gemsbock, Impala, Wildesbeast, Warthog, Kudu and 3 or 4 others. The pictures were incredible but I, too, like eat what I shoot. I don't think I ever see a safari in my future.

<preach>

Hey if SOMEONE is eating the meat I'm cool with it. My rules are no endangered species, no careless waste (ok Im sure that one steak in the back of the freezer might have to get thrown out... thats now what I mean) and... honestly this is just me... no macho stupidity. Being a crack shot is pretty cool... demonstrating the fact you are a crack shot on a living thing for no other reason than demonstrating you are a crack shot is not.

If you are to kill a creature (with the possible exception of insects) there are only two valid reasons. 1) it is a legitimate hazard or 2) you have every intention of eating it or providing it for another person to eat.

Under my philosophy its legitimate to kill a coyote and keep its pelt if it is a danger in your area. It's also legitimate to kill a rabbit if you or your buddy are going to cook the sucker. If our own Subsailor, who has a freezer full of his last hunt, puts a taxidermy head of that ungulate on his wall... so be it... but if Joe Sixpack shoots an animal with the sole purpose of having it mounted as a trophy, than screw him.

</preach>

Thanks Creamy! In truth I possess no taxidermy, no trophies and retained only one set of antlers, ever. Those antlers are from the first moose I ever killed, 68" spread and estimated 1500 to 1600lbs on the hoof. He was a big old moose but he was tasty. Most of the critters I kill get skinned and treated for preservation and turned into fly tying material, leathercraft or in the case of antlers; knife/tool handles or given to others that are far more crafty than I am. We don't like to waste anything, so if somebody has a use for it, it gets used.

Even your old steak in the back of the freezer can be used for; trap bait, dog food or even marinate it for a while and make it into jerky or pemmican.

Thanks Creamy! In truth I possess no taxidermy, no trophies and retained only one set of antlers, ever. Those antlers are from the first moose I ever killed, 68" spread and estimated 1500 to 1600lbs on the hoof. He was a big old moose but he was tasty. Most of the critters I kill get skinned and treated for preservation and turned into fly tying material, leathercraft or in the case of antlers; knife/tool handles or given to others that are far more crafty than I am. We don't like to waste anything, so if somebody has a use for it, it gets used.

Even your old steak in the back of the freezer can be used for; trap bait, dog food or even marinate it for a while and make it into jerky or pemmican.

Nothing quite like catching a fish on a fly you tied from a deer you shot. :D

Or catching 14" rainbows on a streamer you made out of a catfish hook,some yellow thread,& some flouresent green feathers you found on a previous outing...:ban:

If it flies crawls walks or swims(bowfishing) I've probably hunted it. love it! Heck I traveled over 5,000 (Atlanta to Buenos Aires) miles to hunt doves once.

<preach>

Hey if SOMEONE is eating the meat I'm cool with it. My rules are no endangered species, no careless waste (ok Im sure that one steak in the back of the freezer might have to get thrown out... thats now what I mean) and... honestly this is just me... no macho stupidity. Being a crack shot is pretty cool... demonstrating the fact you are a crack shot on a living thing for no other reason than demonstrating you are a crack shot is not.

If you are to kill a creature (with the possible exception of insects) there are only two valid reasons. 1) it is a legitimate hazard or 2) you have every intention of eating it or providing it for another person to eat.

Under my philosophy its legitimate to kill a coyote and keep its pelt if it is a danger in your area. It's also legitimate to kill a rabbit if you or your buddy are going to cook the sucker. If our own Subsailor, who has a freezer full of his last hunt, puts a taxidermy head of that ungulate on his wall... so be it... but if Joe Sixpack shoots an animal with the sole purpose of having it mounted as a trophy, than screw him.

</preach>

Just for discussion sake, what is the difference in killing an insect and a deer(legal restrictions aside). I think we would all agree there is a difference, but in the hierarchy of all things living(from a single cell organism to a Greater Primate), where is the line between its OK and it is not OK to kill or to hunt it?

Wow! Last post got a little to PETA for my taste. I have been hunting for about 2 years mainly focused on Turkey as our property we purchased is blowing up at the seams with them. This year my neighbor talked into getting a general deer tag and I purchased a bow compound bow for graduation. I am not saying I ever had a chance with the bow but the Rim fire made going out in the mornings absolute hell and the first week of bow season was a full moon which seems to have also made life a pain. Well rifle opened up the other week and this Saturday I finally got out. I got my first buck and though he was a small (probably 2 y/o) fork in horn, he was my first and I am proud that I didn't completely miss the shot like I did shooting at my first turkey. I am hooked and love hunting more and more every day.

Archery Elk season finished a couple weeks ago here in Oregon. So now I'm counting the days till waterfowl season.

Still comes off kinda touchy feelly. To play along with your discussion the answer for me would be I can't recall the last time I was elbow deep covered in blood trying to rip the esophagus and trachea out of a mosquito. Never had to pull out a buck knife and sneak up on a wounded spider to slit its throat to end its suffering now that I think of it (it was a really ****ty shot but it was my first time and I had never fired the gun before and neither of us had a side arm. I know you shouldn't sneak up on an animal that is wounded but the poor guy was suffering and it had to be done). That being said I have eaten insects on 3 different continents and I can say that deer tastes better.

I reload using Ballistic Tips by Nosler. I've been using them for 15 years and have liked the performance. A few years ago, we were looking at some of the deer and checking bullet performance. We decided to back off the hot loads with this round. The next year even better performance at 2800 fps, the round had more back side punch (in and out) and didn't explode on contact. If any of you are looking for a cheap round, that works well, and flys great. You should give the Ballistic tips a try.

Latest posts

Back