Any Grainfather G70 owners?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spivey24

Reaction score
I have been eying up the Grainfather G40, but it’s too new for a Black Friday deal. They did put the G70 on sale for just 100$ more than the G40. I don’t really need the capacity of a triple batch as I don’t have the fermentation setup currently for more than double batches. The downsides of the G70 just being heavier and bulkier. But just looking to see if any G70 owners had any input.

I got the G70 during their big sale a couple months ago. I did a 10 gallon test batch on it, and i love it. i purchased the grains for a 15 gallon batch of pale ale i will be brewing on Monday. I splurged and bought the Grainfather S70 fermenter last week so I can ferment the whole batch in one vessel. I installed a hook and pulley system in my basement to hoist the grain basket out. I am very happy with it so far, coming from the G30 (which is now my sparge water heater.)

I've been running with a G70 for the last 2-3 years or so, it has its ups and its downs. I've modified my methods (via double mash) to be able to pull big beers at a 17 Gal batch size in order to have enough liquid in my fermentor (Spike CF 15) to run a trub dump, yeast collection and if need be to support the loss on a large dry hop. I always aim to fill 3 x 5 gallon cornys and it seems to be working so far. I ended up removing the bottom filter plate that seats into the conical bottom during by sessions due to issues with sediment and hops blocking off the wort to the pump. I've invested in a hop spider for any hop additions between 5min-60min on IPA's, anything under the 5 min addition goes direct into the kettle. I do have issues maintaining even mash temps, is a bit of a pain in the ass...For the first 30-40 minutes I have to crank the heat about 5 degrees or so and stir the top portion of the grain and constantly check with a thermometer. My unit sits on a roller platform, I raise the grain basket with a hoist fixed to a ladder, once I'm dump the grain I just raise the basket and roll the unit out of the way and lower the grain tube into a large plastic bucket. Unit ramps up the temp to a boil as I get rid of the spent grain and clean the grain tube & associated components.

Attachments

• new brew.jpg
    new brew.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 0
Back