any good recipes I can make in my Mr. Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCummins87

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good tasting recipe that I can make to fit inside my Mr. Beer fermenter I'm looking to really start brewing and need some good ideas help me plz haha Thx.

You can brew any kind of beer you like. Just needs to be a small enough batch to fit in the fermentor. So we need some further information.

You can peruse this site's recipe database, or the bunch of others on the web. If you find an all-grain or partial mash recipe you want to try (assuming you can't brew all-grain or partial mash), most of them can be converted to extract. Or if you've got a copy, or want to pick one up, pick a beer from the book "Brewing Classic Styles". Then you can use brewing software to scale down the volume, or we can help you.

Ya right now since I just started I'm looking towards the malt extracts with maybe a twist but Idk what I have a porter kit n i purchased some hops for it but I was wondering If i could add something to the boil to give the flavor a kick like honey or something also a way to boost the alcohol content I see they have boosters but is there a more natural way?

Most of your simple sugars (honey included) won't provide much in the way of flavor (honey can provide a subtle flavor if used right, but won't provide sweetness, but the flavor in honey can be destroyed if you don't use it right, making it just expensive sugar). There's Belgian candi syrups (not the hard sugar but the syrup) that can provide a bunch of flavor, but I don't think they're a fit for a porter. Using any of the simple sugars is going to boost alcohol, and that's about as natural as can be. A lot of the artificial sweeteners aren't even fermentable. That said, boosters are going to have a flavor impact (malt like DME or LME will boost body and flavor in addition to alcohol, and simple sugars can actually dry out and lighten the body and flavor a bit, and in both cases can have an effect on the way the hops and bitterness are percieved). If you want something higher alcohol, best bet is to start with a recipe that's already designed to have the right balance at higher alcohol.

What are the ingredients in the porter kit? Let's start with that.

Remember if you try to shoot for abv first and flavor second, the brews dont turn out that great. At least in my first few brews

The ingredients are base malt, victory malt, caramel malt 80L,chocolate malt, and carapils malt. I also bought some corn sugar to add during the bottling stage does that have a better affect than the granulated sugar?

So, I have made a few batches of brew in my Mr. Beer keg.

This one I just put into bottles, it tasted good when flat and warm, I will let you know in a week or two if its good.

Ingredients
1oz GERMAN HALLERTAU hops
SAFBREW WB-06 Yeast
3.3lb BRIESS BAVARIAN WHEAT
1lb wheat flakes
.33 oz dried orange
8oz of sugar or honey.

Directions
1) Steep wheat for 30 minutes @ 150f
2) Bring to a boil
3) Add .75oz of GERMAN HALLERTAU hops (45 minutes)
4) Add .125oz of GERMAN HALLERTAU hops (15 minutes)
5) Add .125oz of GERMAN HALLERTAU hops (5 minutes)
6) Add dried oranges (I put them in a muslin bag)(5 minutes) (very important to put them in a bag if using the Mr. Beer LBK, if you let them ferment, when you bottle they will clog the drain).
7) Add sugar/honey.
8) Remove from heat (so you don't burn the extract)
9) Add wheat extract
10) Bring back to a boil
11) Remove oranges

Cool to ~70f
Pitch yeast.

Edit:

http://hopville.com/recipe/1675214

Amber ale

This one is a little bitter for my taste (I am not an IPA guy), I recommend using 2 to 2.4 gallons, I only did 2, so maybe a little less hops, and more wort would help the bitterness. Letting it condition right now, might drink another bottle this weekend (using the 1 litter bottles).

Description
Total time 90 minutes
Ingredients
2 to 2.4 gallons

3.3lb Briess Sparkling Amber
1oz Cascade Hops
1 Safale US-05 yeast
1lb Caramel Malt - 60L
Directions
Steep Caramel malt for 30 minutes @ 150f

Bring to a boil
.75 oz cascade hops (60 minutes)