Any drawback at all for 3 gallon batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qvantamon

Reaction score
I've been considering 3 gallon batches, and it seems to me to be the ideal beginner size. However, every beginner kit/tutorial under the sun uses 5 gallon, so I'm not sure if I'm missing something (I've seen a couple of the 3 gallon threads here, but none of them mention why that's not standard)

Advantages of 3 gallon for beginners:
  • Can do a full boil on the stove
  • Can even go all-grain on a stovetop
  • Sink full of ice can still work
  • Can fit 3 gallon keg systems on a regular fridge
  • Can use 3 gallon carboys/better bottles and move less weight around
  • Less beer to get rid of (people aren't really going to want my beer on the first batches, so I have to consider I'm going to drink mostly alone)
  • Can make lots of varieties without getting stuck with accumulated gallons of beer, and without running out of living space in the apartment.
  • Can do about double the work for the same amount (for beginners this means learning twice as fast, for lazy pros this is of course a disadvantage)

The only advantages for 5 gallon I could think of are:
  • More literature and equipment available
  • Ingredient kits are sized for 5g.
  • Used 5g corny kegs are cheap.
  • Cost per gallon insignificantly smaller (per-batch cost of yeast, hop bags, sanitizer, and fixed cost of carboys)

Am I missing something here? (otherwise I'm off to get a 5g kettle and 5g and 3g better-bottles).

My carboys are only 5 gallon ,so I brew 4 - 4 1/2 gallon batches. Did do one 3 gallon batch
of AppleBee with a recipe from here.
I just use the ingredients for a 5 gallon brew and use less water.
I did find a site that sells 2 1/2 gallon batches (not Mr Beer). haven't done business with them yet.
Here's a link if your interested.
The Beer Nut homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

From all I've seen, the biggest advantage of making a five (or even ten) gallon batch over a smaller one is that so much of the time investment is the same either way that you might as well go with a big batch just to get more beer out of the same amount of work. That said - space, logistics, wanting to experiment with a new recipe without having to spend so much on ingredients or to store/drink it all if it doesn't come out as well as you'd hoped, - they all make for reasons that even established brewers will often do small batches. I've now got a Mr. Beer and a five gallon bucket, and I think I like the arrangement for now.

I do 3 gallon batches, simply because I can brew more often and have more variety. The recipes are cheaper too. I use beersmith to scale a 5 gallon recipe down.

Yes it is the same amount of work as a 5 gallon batch, but the smaller carboy is much easier to deal with :)

(people aren't really going to want my beer on the first batches, so I have to consider I'm going to drink mostly alone)

Am I missing something here?

Don't think for a minute that your first batches won't be excellent. The downside of smaller batches as I see it, is the best beer usually from any batch is the last bottle / pint. Smaller batches leads to less aging time.

Other than that, no reason at all not to do 3 gal batches.

Agree with the above. 3 gallons takes just as long from grains to glass, but you only get like half as much beer for your trouble.

Yes you can go all grain and do full boils on your stove for cheap. But you only get like half as much beer for your trouble.

My first batch of homebrew was better than any beer I ever bought over the counter.

Wjhy work just as hard for half the beer?

I brew a few 3 gallon batches along, because I own 4 three gallon carboys.

I usually do experimental batches, or wierd stuff I dont want 5 gallons of, of if I'm trying a SMASH with a new hop etc etc...

I also use them for apfelwein, mix up 5 gallons, put fruit in 1 carboy, and leave one just regular apple goody.

3 gallon kegs fit my kegerator perfectly.
I'll typically do a 5 gallon batch, 3 gallons to keg and 2 for bottles.

I have 2 of the cute little 2.5 gallon kegs that I'll use for splitting up batches or making club soda.
I'll brew a 5 gallon batch of wheat and flavor one of the 2.5 kegs for SWMBO.
Those little ones fit in the kitchen fridge perfectly.

if you can only brew 3 gallons at a time -- then you do what you have to do :)
just remember to have fun doing it and that is all that matters.

Don't think for a minute that your first batches won't be excellent.

+1 on that. I just started drinking my 1st batch that's been in the bottle 3 weeks now. SWMBO likes it and to me, it tastes just as good as anything I can buy in the store.

It's part of the hobby that keeps us going.

Not to dissuade you from doing 3 gallon batches, which I have thought about doing myself, but...

1) You can do full boil on the stovetop. I have a crappy electric range, and I do it. You need two pots, and you just split the recipe between the two. It's like making two 2.5 gallon batches at the same time, but it's hardly any harder than doing one.

2) You can even do all grain 5 gallon batches on the stovetop. I did it for my last batch with nothing but arm strength. But it would probably be easier if you rigged something up to hold the grain bag suspended while it drains. You'll probably want bigger than 5 gallon kettles, though. I use an 8 gallon for mashing and a 7.5 gallon for sparging. It also helps to magically get 80% efficiency like I did :rockin: (my extra long sparge time, maybe). It is, however, doubtful that you'll be able to do high gravity all-grain on the stovetop unless you scale down the volume.

3) The ice bath works just fine with 5 gallon batches. In fact, I don't get faster chilling times with my immersion chiller. All the chiller does is save me the hassle/expense of making/buying all that ice and draining and refilling the sink over and over again. I used to get 5 gallons to pitching temperature in no more than 30 minutes with an ice bath using about 30 pounds of ice total.

Back