Any Chance at Fixing an Oxidation Issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsherlock22

Reaction score
Hey All,
Little bummed. Brewed up a red ale for a special family occasion a week from now and oxidized at during the filtering process. Was great in the primary. Had a noticable cardboardish taste after kegged. Any thoughts? Its not undrinkable but no doubt noticeable. Would dry hopping do anything positive or am I stuck with it? Trying to salvage it the best I can. Thanks for any input.

Hey All,
Little bummed. Brewed up a red ale for a special family occasion a week from now and oxidized at during the filtering process. Was great in the primary. Had a noticable cardboardish taste after kegged. Any thoughts? Its not undrinkable but no doubt noticeable. Would dry hopping do anything positive or am I stuck with it? Trying to salvage it the best I can. Thanks for any input.

Dry hopping might help mask it slightly, but I believe that oxidation only gets worse over time. Drink it fast while it's still drinkable.

Well it probably depends on how small your filter is, but if you filtered out most of your yeast there is no hope for oxidation salvation.

Assuming you pushed the beer through the filter under pressure using CO2 - how did you oxidize the beer? (yeah, I know all about ass-u-me'ing)

I did push with CO2 but didn't keep keep the final keg purged with CO2. Ive ready many who don't purge and are fine but thus definitely tastes like wet cardboard. It was a 7 micron filter but if there is any yeast left they won't have time to do their thing in the 7 days I have till this party. It's not awful, but noticable. Would dry hopping mask a bit? Thanks

That's surprising that you got oxidation from that - but if you're convinced it's the off-flavor you're tasting, sure, you can try to mask it with a dry hop.

Back