Anvil vs. Blichmann

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpalme

Reaction score
I know they are the same manufacturer, but from what they look like to me, the blichmann is high polished SS whereas anvil looks like brushed metal...

Are the bottoms the same? Any difference worth noting? I'm looking to upgrade a couple of kettles to 20 gallons (switching over to all electric) and figured I'd ask before I start writing the check...

I know they are the same manufacturer, but from what they look like to me, the blichmann is high polished SS whereas anvil looks like brushed metal...

Are the bottoms the same? Any difference worth noting? I'm looking to upgrade a couple of kettles to 20 gallons (switching over to all electric) and figured I'd ask before I start writing the check...

They are not at all the same manufacturer... One brand line is manufactured in the States by multiple manufacturers to blichmanns specs and the other is manufacturer by manufacturers in China to blichmanns specs to be sold for less because Chinese labor is a fraction of what it costs in the States and not everyone can afford to buy the American made stuff.
I just feel that important to mention since everyone keeps calling these companies manufacturers even if they manufacture very little or nothing themselves... Some don't even design the stuff they sell... This stuff should also be considered. (Blichmanns does)

For electric a heavy duty bottom on a kettle is totally useless... Pretty much any kettle works just as well but the thicker ones will take more abuse. It usually honestly comes down to being about looks or prestige for many here, as many who buy blichmanns kettles don't bang them around or abuse them anyway due to cost which negates the practical reasons for buying heavier kettles ironically..
It's a bit of an hour oxymoron really.... We justify the heavy duty overbuilt stuff that can take the abuse while in reality, only to be so worried about banging it up because of cost that we baby the crap out of it so much so that even the cheapest thinnest bayou classic kettles would have Held up just as well with such treatment... So there's often no practical benefit unless certain custom configurations and features are installed.

The G2 Blichmann kettles are a brushed stainless. IMHO they are ugly as hell and feel cheap in real life (FYI there are local stores around that stock samples if you wanted to see one in person). I'm sure they work great but for that kind of money both form and functionality are important to me.

I really like the shiny bling look of the G1s, which is why i own a complete set of them. They take a little bit of elbow grease to make look brand new, but they are beautiful when they are.

They are not at all the same manufacturer... One brand line is manufactured in the States by multiple manufacturers to blichmanns specs and the other is manufacturer by manufacturers in China to blichmanns specs[...]

You sure about that?
I could believe the two-seam G1 series was made in USA, but the G2 kettle is a deep-drawn affair that could be stamped out anywhere in the world...

Cheers!

You sure about that?
I could believe the two-seam G1 series was made in USA, but the G2 kettle is a deep-drawn affair that could be stamped out anywhere in the world...

Cheers!
I could be wrong because im going from memory but From what I thought Ive read a few times it was the older g1 kettles that were chinese made and the newer ones are made in the USA? I could be wrong but I know one of them was stamped overseas.

I dont own either.... maybe the handles and fittings where attached here like spike does it? I dont know how much of the manufacturing facilities are owned by blichmann if any but I know a lot of it like the conicals and such are made by other manufacturers like Toledo metal spinning which used to make spikes older American made conical line as well... I'm not bashing thm as they make some of the highest quality stuff out there but at what I often feel is too highly priced points myself.

Some folks like to buy a heavy duty diesel truck because they need it for the tasks they use it for and others just like to drive an expensive polished truck around for other to admire whether they have a real use for it or pay someone else for that kind of work .. Its a mix no different than any sport or hobby. If you have the extra money that great since everybody is different. You have folks that learned to become great musicians playing cheap guitars and others who are terrible at it with expensive equipment... It isnt always the deciding factor or a real factor at all in the outcome as is the case here.
Electric brewing with pumps greatly diminishes the practical need for the heavier bottoms and sidewalls is what im trying to say.. Its just about PERSONAL preference here.. The anvil stuff will make the same quality beer. Just as gas fired biab can make the same beer as my over the top electric 3 vessel system. Usually when topics like this come up someone already has an idea what they want to hear any we look for justifications from others to act on it.. if the cosmetic attributes or american vs import things are important to you then dont ignore that since you might regret it later but its something you need to workout with yourself (and possibly SWMBO). :)

For now my cheap 16 gallon bayou kettles work flawlessly for electric so I cant justify the fancy looking stuff for my dumpy looking brew room... The bayous wouldnt be my choice if I was going direct fire however at least not the ones I have now.

The G2 Blichmann kettles are a brushed stainless. IMHO they are ugly as hell and feel cheap in real life (FYI there are local stores around that stock samples if you wanted to see one in person). I'm sure they work great but for that kind of money both form and functionality are important to me.

I really like the shiny bling look of the G1s, which is why i own a complete set of them. They take a little bit of elbow grease to make look brand new, but they are beautiful when they are.
highly polished stainless is almost always an indication that it was made in china... most american made stainless products are brushed... The labor involved in polishing in the states cuts into profits.. Its not always the case but very often.

This also backs up what I thought I read about the G1 kettles being chinese made...

highly polished stainless is almost always an indication that it was made in china... most american made stainless products are brushed... The labor involved in polishing in the states cuts into profits.. Its not always the case but very often.

This also backs up what I thought I read about the G1 kettles being chinese made...

My recollection is that all G1s were made in China, and G2s up to the 30G are made in the USA, while the larger G2s are still made in China.... I think it even says this on the Blichmann website.

Best part of the G2 are the valves.

I'd recommend considering the Spike kettles as well.

Best part of the G2 are the valves.

I'd recommend considering the Spike kettles as well.
I recently found those valves on aliexpress... I thought they looked familiar but couldn't recall where from at the time...

What appears to be the blichmann autosparge setup (or a damn good clone) is on there too for like $15 in stainless as well as the traditional brass float valves its copied from but the stainless blichmann (clone?) cant be delivered to the US market just like the intertap faucets since those have to be sold through traditional channels through middlemen distributors along the way...

This is where things get sticky for me.... I dont mind paying extra for an american made products in many cases but I DO mind paying extra with chinese made goods sold to me under false pretenses or in the least the plausible deniability to believe they are american made because of the much higher price I paid for them...

This is one reason I believe Blichmann picked up the anvil line and I applaud them for it. They are pretty upfront that they are cheaper because of cheaper labor used in china.

Blichmann is American made from American stainless steel and assembled in the USA.

The 30 gallon and up units are imported. When I bought mine they were imported from Italy. I don't know if that's the same.

They also carry a lifetime warranty.

Anvil is Chinese made that's why you get a reduced price.

To the Op what is your plan for converting to electric? If your going to weld tri clamp fittings on the kettles I'd consider spike unless you have a guy.

The boil coil is a nice clean unit and would work well. I have two friends with those units and they are nice to brew on.

The reality is your going to be fine with any of the big boys kettles. It's really just what works for you and your budget.

Blichmann is American made from American stainless steel and assembled in the USA.

The 30 gallon and up units are imported. When I bought mine they were imported from Italy. I don't know if that's the same.

They also carry a lifetime warranty.

Anvil is Chinese made that's why you get a reduced price.

To the Op what is your plan for converting to electric? If your going to weld tri clamp fittings on the kettles I'd consider spike unless you have a guy.

The boil coil is a nice clean unit and would work well. I have two friends with those units and they are nice to brew on.

The reality is your going to be fine with any of the big boys kettles. It's really just what works for you and your budget.
Did you read the thread? its not that simple.. depends on a lot of things like when you bought your blichmann products and what it is...
To qoute blichmanns site,
" In fact, over 70% of our product cost company swide is US content!"

and blichmann goes on to make this stab directed at spike...
"Others weld a Chinese fititng in a Chinese kettle using a few scant minutes of US labor and pass the product off as US made. But not us."
meanwhile at the bottom of another page on their site description bragging about being a 100% american made product, in smaller gray letters youll find this if you look for it...

"*30 gallon and larger kettles imported, but fully assembled with US labor and additional US components." found here http://www.blichmannengineering.com/products/boilermaker

Well call me stupid but isnt that what they say they dont do in their "about us" section?? if they werent trying to pull the same type or misleading tactics that statement wouldnt be smaller and so damn hard to see right?

I also dont see any mention of them claiming they use american steel? only that the kettles are 100% american made using 304 grade steel... (all except all the larger ones covered in the smaller made in china statement) they should say SOME or even MANY of our kettles are 100% american made.(since 4 out of 7 sizes are such) .. instead they brag and mislead just as much if not more than those they mock for doing so as I see it.

This practice is not unlike the one Guinness uses by having "brewed in Ireland" printed on their stouts even though most of the Guinness produced worldwide comes from africa and its brewed all over like japan and even by labatt in canada where most of ours is made...
And then you have the Guinness blond , Brewed in the old rolling rock brewery and having nothing to do with the Guiness company other than marketing rights to use the name for profit like stella hard cider.

ahh im on my soapbox again... Well I did learn that the autosparge is 100% american made so the clone on aliexpress is just a clone at 1/4 the price...

Also,

Anvil and Spike are induction ready. Blackmann are not.
good point in the off chance that what he meant by going electric with 20 gallon kettles... personally I think the typical 3500w induction setup is a bit small for 20 gallon kettles which would be sized for 10-15 gallons when it comes to electric unlike direct fire where more head space is of benefit.. Unless you want to cover that shiny expensive kettle with insulation?.. I doubt it..

We justify the heavy duty overbuilt stuff that can take the abuse while in reality, only to be so worried about banging it up because of cost that we baby the crap out of it so much so that even the cheapest thinnest bayou classic kettles would have Held up just as well with such treatment.

True, but sometimes accidents happen. It kills me when I look at a little dent on my 100L, variable volume fermenter that slipped out of my grip while washing it. The fall was inches, but the thin steel was no match for the basement floor.

As much as I hate to say this, budget isn't an object or problem. I can afford to spend on the blichmann line or cheaper; what I'm looking for is two fold: 1. Quality and 2. appearance although I don't necessarily need the bling look. I am planning a renov on the basement which I'm including a bar and brew room. That is why I'm going electric, along with the ability to better control temps, etc.

As much as I hate to say this, budget isn't an object or problem. I can afford to spend on the blichmann line or cheaper; what I'm looking for is two fold: 1. Quality and 2. appearance although I don't necessarily need the bling look. I am planning a renov on the basement which I'm including a bar and brew room. That is why I'm going electric, along with the ability to better control temps, etc.

Thats a good situation to be in.. No reason to feel bad about it.
I would look at the big three (SS brewtech, spike or blichmann) then unless you really want serious looking heavy duty stuff... if money wasnt an object Id have stout kettles.. https://conical-fermenter.com/Electric-20-gal/ I know they are chinese made but My stout conical is the most heavy duty highy polished piece of home brewing equipment I own... everything is welded not stamped and you can tell when you lift it. they also were the first serious looking home brewing kettles id ever seen long before spike or ss brewtech even existed.. They are truly a miniature version of the larger microbrewery stuff that they sell and that dominates a large portion of the nano and microbrewing landscape. Its overkill yes, but we are comparing welded kettles to stamped ones. To me its like comparing the grainfather 8 gallon conical to the spike conical with cooling setup for similar money... no comparison.

True, but sometimes accidents happen. It kills me when I look at a little dent on my 100L, variable volume fermenter that slipped out of my grip while washing it. The fall was inches, but the thin steel was no match for the basement floor.

Good point... Its one reason I clean my conicals in place and use jackets instead of coils to keep it easier to do so. that said my bayou kettles have been taking a beating and I brew upstairs and carry them downstairs to clean and even outside to dump grain.. its been a few years and so far so good they just dont look so shiny and clean anymore with all the scuffs. if I had paid more for them I would be upset at the scuffs and scratches they have gotten from use... but those would likely be there regardless because when im cleaning up at 11pm after brewing, being extra careful to lay towels along the edge of my sink and such is just not whats on my mind...

Did you read the thread? its not that simple.. depends on a lot of things like when you bought your blichmann products and what it is...
To qoute blichmanns site,
" In fact, over 70% of our product cost company swide is US content!"

and blichmann goes on to make this stab directed at spike...
"Others weld a Chinese fititng in a Chinese kettle using a few scant minutes of US labor and pass the product off as US made. But not us."
meanwhile at the bottom of another page on their site description bragging about being a 100% american made product, in smaller gray letters youll find this if you look for it...

"*30 gallon and larger kettles imported, but fully assembled with US labor and additional US components." found here http://www.blichmannengineering.com/products/boilermaker

Well call me stupid but isnt that what they say they dont do in their "about us" section?? if they werent trying to pull the same type or misleading tactics that statement wouldnt be smaller and so damn hard to see right?

I also dont see any mention of them claiming they use american steel? only that the kettles are 100% american made using 304 grade steel... (all except all the larger ones covered in the smaller made in china statement) they should say SOME or even MANY of our kettles are 100% american made.(since 4 out of 7 sizes are such) .. instead they brag and mislead just as much if not more than those they mock for doing so as I see it.

This practice is not unlike the one Guinness uses by having "brewed in Ireland" printed on their stouts even though most of the Guinness produced worldwide comes from africa and its brewed all over like japan and even by labatt in canada where most of ours is made...
And then you have the Guinness blond , Brewed in the old rolling rock brewery and having nothing to do with the Guiness company other than marketing rights to use the name for profit like stella hard cider.

ahh im on my soapbox again... Well I did learn that the autosparge is 100% american made so the clone on aliexpress is just a clone at 1/4 the price...

http://www.blichmannengineering.com/products/boilermaker

First bullet point on the page.

LOL did you even read my post? do you just see what you want?
Why do you keep claiming blichmanns products are all american made when blichmann themselves says they are not later down on that same page in smaller print! only 60% of so of their kettle offerings are actually american made!

Read the smaller lighter quoted text below on the page you linked which basically makes the first bullet point a half truth since only pertaining to some of the kettles they sell since 3 out of the 7 sizes of kettles they sell come from china but are "assembled here" just like they claim they dont do on their about us page .

AGAIN its as simple as your bullet point misleads people into believing!
They are just misleading folks but have the nerve to mock spike for doing the same .
read the two qoutes from blichmanns pages I directly copied and pasted in the response you quoted they directly counter-dict each other completely as well as your bulletpoint. You cant have it both ways!

Hypocrites..

A company can make one product in the USA and sell 99 more that are made overseas and still claim their products are american made without breaking any laws as long as they dont say ALL OF OUR PRODUCTS ARE AMERICAN MADE which you will almost never see them do. in this case blichmann makes 70% of thier products in the states if I understand thier claims right ...
Some of that may be products they claim are fully "assembled here" which in the case of the g2 kettles that means when it comes to anything larger than 30 gallons, They take a chinese made kettle and attach the handles and spigot here (again just like spike does and blichmann mocks them for doing)... The handle and spigot may be in china too but if "assembly" is done here they claim claim its technically made in the usa. Its not much different from what Harleys moving to these days. no one actually gives a **** it seems if 10 people assemble and paint the bike in the states or 200 people actually Make the bike in the states... Its the american dream and people will believe what they want. Harley says its american made and thats all they want to hear.

Auggie doggy.

That's twice you've been insulting. It's seems you didn't read my post which clearly stated the everything over 30 gallons are imported. But the smaller kettles are USA made with us steel.

Any way carry on with your soap box

Auggie doggy.

That's twice you've been insulting. It's seems you didn't read my post which clearly stated the everything over 30 gallons are imported. But the smaller kettles are USA made with us steel.

Any way carry on with your soap box

Clearly were speaking past each other here. or you just made that short post knowing it would get me fired up either way. I'm sorry you took my questions as insults Im just having a hard time believing you cant see the validity of the point im making here. its not like its a stretch... its pretty black and white. your comment completely ignored it and reassured others that the misleading half truth statement was all they needed to see.

You said that in your first post they are american made but then said in the next sentence not all of them are.
But then again quoted a false bullet point claiming the g2 kettles are 100% american made! That cant be true if half of the g2 product line comes from china.

did you read the end of the first paragraph here http://www.blichmannengineering.com/about-us where they state they do not import chinese kettles and use " a few scant minutes of US labor and pass the product off as US made" ? yet that really what they are more of less doing here with that bulletpoint you quoted right? and if you understanding what they are claiming to say that they use US steel they very well could have fooled you again since they never claimed that at all. its the same clearly written deceptive wording to imply such without actually saying it so people see what they want to see. this comment further down on the very same page further reinforces the false truth

"All the items you need come standard, installed, and ready to use:

Heavy gauge, 304 single piece, deep drawn, weld-free American made construction will turn this kettle into a family heirloom*. We are so impressed with the quality of this kettle that we have given it a limited lifetime warranty!"

Where does it brag about the other half of them from china being great heirlooms?
its just implys they are all "american made" again exactly what they call spike out for doing right?

soapbox or no soapbox its deceptive marketing. It one thing to do it but another all together for mocking a competitor for doing it on one page of their website and do it themselves on another is all im saying here.

This is way off topic..

I appreciate everyone's passionate input; in looking at brewtech, I like the look of them. I checked with my local supplier and he doesn't currently carry them; that said, I have to say they are cheaper than Anvil and have a nice clean look without appearing blingy.

I appreciate everyone's passionate input; in looking at brewtech, I like the look of them. I checked with my local supplier and he doesn't currently carry them; that said, I have to say they are cheaper than Anvil and have a nice clean look without appearing blingy.

Email support at Ss, last time I talked to Michael he mentioned a new electric line coming soon. I buy directly from them.

Again I want to thank everyone for their input, it is all valuable to me. I have emailed SS and I know my local store is contacting them inquiring about being able to carry their product.

Having been away for a while due to some health issues I have come to appreciate a few things in life and above all else - I appreciate divergent viewpoints and good beer!

My SS kettle is works great. Simple and functional for brewing and comes with everything needed to brew out of the box. My only wish is that there was a pre-drilled hole for an element. I will be curious to see if they offer something in the future to accommodate electric brewing.

If I were starting from scratch, I would probably consider a custom Spike with TC fittings. Most likely I'll punch a hole in my Brewtech and add a weldless TC fitting for the element, and probably do the same to a second. Can't go wrong with either kettle, it just depends on what you are looking for.

Again I want to thank everyone for their input, it is all valuable to me. I have emailed SS and I know my local store is contacting them inquiring about being able to carry their product.

Having been away for a while due to some health issues I have come to appreciate a few things in life and above all else - I appreciate divergent viewpoints and good beer!

SS offers free shipping on their kettles. I would not hesitate to purchase directly through them. If you have an issue with their product, it will be addressed quickly.

One of the issues that faces home brewers (especially new brewers) is the difficulty seeing and using brewing equipment prior to blindly purchasing. I suggest looking for brewing opportunities with other local brewers, brew clubs and LHBS folks. Some YouTube or online videos also offer opportunities to see systems in operation.

Even after brewing for some time, I still rely heavily on this forum and advertisements to guide me toward the best equipment selections based on my needs. Ads tend to paint a glamorous picture, so the messages within need to be investigated by real world usage, possibly by HBT members' feedback.

I agree with the comment that the Big 3 are Blichmann, Ss BrewTech and Spike. Selection of any of these is a fairly safe bet.

Thanks oujens I just took a look at spike and they seem pretty nice as well. I'm especially interested in custom welds with them.

Back