ANVIL FOUNDRY ALL-GRAIN BREWING SYSTEM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do you think the 10.5 would be overkill for a 3 gallon batch?
i know the 6.5 is supposed to be for smaller batches (which is primarily my thing), but if i get the bug to go bigger, i'd rather not have to buy a whole new one.

Kind of like buying a pair of pruning shears to trim the lawn, it will get the job done but it is a messy process.

I contemplated this route back in July when I purchased my 6.5 gal Anvil. I typically brew 10 liter batches (11 liters at end of the boil) but do throw in an occasional 20 liter batch. In my discussions with the Anvil/Blichmann engineers at HomebrewCon, I came to the conclusion that I would rather do my typical batch well within the capabilities of the device rather than at the lower limits of its capabilities. Having said that, I do know that Anvil has been testing an insert which would block the side perforations of the mash basket to allow for easier brewing of smaller batches. When it will be commercially available is anyone's guess.

I recently did a 16 liter (4.2 gal) batch with ease and plenty of head room. It did take using my old brew pot to sparge in. I think that I could get another liter into the pre-boil volume and use Fermcap S to prevent a boil over. If I had switched to 120V, I would have yielded an additional 2 to 2.5 liters which would get me an 18 liter batch (4.75 gal) without issue. That satisfies my need for the occasional bigger batch.

You could do a poly-gyle mash by mashing half the grain then add more grain when the first half is done. Fill to what you feel comfortable with then use top up water to get to the desired volume.

Blichmans and Palmer did something similar in the breweasy for a brew strong show to get a high gravity beer.

do you think the 10.5 would be overkill for a 3 gallon batch?
i know the 6.5 is supposed to be for smaller batches (which is primarily my thing), but if i get the bug to go bigger, i'd rather not have to buy a whole new one.

I thought about this too before I bought the 6.5 and I’m kind of interested in this answer too. It seems most of the questions go the other way - people want to know if they can buy the 6.5 and still make 5 gallons of barleywine.

I thought I read in one of the other threads where somebody said the 10.5 doesn’t have markings below 5 gallons. That would make it harder to do small batches.

Myself, I brew 3 gallon batches also. I am getting older (almost 60 now) and everything is easier to handle, move, and manage with 3 gallons. I also don’t go through the beer like I used to.

I am getting into session beers now. I kind of always have been - as Bitters and Best Bitters have always been the things I brew the most. I was session before session was cool.

I like to brew things I can’t buy. Why brew Coor’s Light if Coor’s Light is readily available and Coor’s does it cheaper and better? I want to brew Fuller’s London Pride. And other stuff I can’t buy easily here.

That said, I do a barleywine or RIS on occasion. Just not all the time. Maybe once or twice a year and I mostly save those for family at Christmas or holidays. I kept my cooler mash tun for those

But I chose the 6.5 for what I want to do and it works well for that.

Would the 6.5 be a hard "no" with the 3 gallon BIAB recipe kits from Northern Brewer then? Looks like their directions call for vessels of at least 7 to 7.5 gallons in capacity.

Would the 6.5 be a hard "no" with the 3 gallon BIAB recipe kits from Northern Brewer then? Looks like their directions call for vessels of at least 7 to 7.5 gallons in capacity.
It depends on the recipe/style. If you pick one that has a high OG, say above 1.070, you'll probably have a hard time. I do 3gal BIAB recipes with no problem. I just keep a gallon back for sparge water instead of doing no-sparge.

Nothern Brewer prints generic instructions for those who need the guidance. They have no way of knowing the boil off rate or amount of trub left in my system to dictate accurately the size of vessel I would need, so there is a lot of safety factor in their instructions by design. 3 gallons, no sparge, target gravity of under 1.080 is hands down not a problem with my process using the 6.5 gal Anvil. Maybe for some others, it may be. If you follow Anvil's quick guide for volumes, then it would not be a problem at all.

Nothern Brewer prints generic instructions for those who need the guidance. They have no way of knowing the boil off rate or amount of trub left in my system to dictate accurately the size of vessel I would need, so there is a lot of safety factor in their instructions by design. 3 gallons, no sparge, target gravity of under 1.080 is hands down not a problem with my process using the 6.5 gal Anvil. Maybe for some others, it may be. If you follow Anvil's quick guide for volumes, then it would not be a problem at all.

That's what I was thinking. It seemed a little much needing a kettle that big.

Just checking in to see what everyone's process is for sparging specifically - for those who do the sparge anyways. The lautering aspect is something Ive been playing with to try to get a good rinse of the grains to help maximize mash/lauter efficiency. Is anyone "fluffing" up the grain bed prior to sparging or is everyone just leaving the grain bed as is?

I've only completed one brew on my new Foundry so far. Efficiency was pretty low - around 63% if I recall correctly. I used my old bag in the malt pipe. For a sparge, I heated up a gallon or so of water and used a measuring cup to sprinkle the water over the malt while the pipe was in the raised position. Would be interested in hearing how others may do this as well.

Just checking in to see what everyone's process is for sparging specifically - for those who do the sparge anyways. The lautering aspect is something Ive been playing with to try to get a good rinse of the grains to help maximize mash/lauter efficiency. Is anyone "fluffing" up the grain bed prior to sparging or is everyone just leaving the grain bed as is?
I've been giving the grain bed a good stir while pouring in the sparge water. It helps that I've been using my brewbag in the malt pipe so I don't have to worry about grain husks etc. getting in. All of my efficiencies have been in the low 70's.

Got my first batch in on this and everything went well. Nice gentle boil the whole time, so I'm not sure what freak occurence happened on my initial test boil. Boiled off more than I expected so a little less beer than 5 gal, but oh well. Took plenty of notes, so I'll know how to adjust for next brew day. I hit 87% efficiency on this thing. I can tell this is going be a nice setup. The sample tasted amazing. I can't wait to get it in my keg!

Definitely seal the lid on when heating up strike water. Sped things up real good on the 120v. I also kept it partially covered when getting to a boil and it got boiling in an acceptable amount of time.

Today was a good day
Glad you got to a happy place. I lost track of this thread. The lid is an important part of a 120v boil imho. At least just get you to boiling as the side insulation helps keep the boil going. But is does take a long time to get up to boiling with 120v.

I did my first brew on the 10.5 foundry, an American Wheat Ale. I started with 5.9 gallons water. My mash was 6lbs two row and 5lbs wheat, with 1/2lb rice hulls, then 1 gallon sparge.
My gravity was low after sparge, 1.033, and the grains were sticky, so we started a vorlauf. Changed set temp to 168, and continued vorlauf for 10mins after reaching 168, maybe 20-30 mins total. This helped clear a lot of sediment from the wort also.
This helped raise the gravity quite a bit, up to 1.046 if I remember correctly.

In hindsight, I don't think I stirred the grain bed enough, and I think my recirculation was way too slow. I'll try to change these on the next brew.

Attachments

• vorlauf.jpg
    vorlauf.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 188
I did my first brew on the 10.5 foundry, an American Wheat Ale. I started with 5.9 gallons water. My mash was 6lbs two row and 5lbs wheat, with 1/2lb rice hulls, then 1 gallon sparge.
My gravity was low after sparge, 1.033, and the grains were sticky, so we started a vorlauf. Changed set temp to 168, and continued vorlauf for 10mins after reaching 168, maybe 20-30 mins total. This helped clear a lot of sediment from the wort also.
This helped raise the gravity quite a bit, up to 1.046 if I remember correctly.

In hindsight, I don't think I stirred the grain bed enough, and I think my recirculation was way too slow. I'll try to change these on the next brew.
Interesting. Haven’t vorlaufed like this on the foundry. What was your expected gravity after the mash considering the Vorlauf brought you up a good bit? Did you do anything to fluff up the grain bed before the vorlauf or leave as is? I’ve been raising to 168 for mash out before lifting the malt pipe so trying to think of this would help bump mash efficiency up a couple points after sparging.

Interesting. Haven’t vorlaufed like this on the foundry. What was your expected gravity after the mash considering the Vorlauf brought you up a good bit? Did you do anything to fluff up the grain bed before the vorlauf or leave as is? I’ve been raising to 168 for mash out before lifting the malt pipe so trying to think of this would help bump mash efficiency up a couple points after sparging.
I was expecting a OG closer to 1.050 or higher, so the 1.033 seemed pretty low, but the sticky feel of the grains was obvious that there were plenty more sugars available. We lifted the mash pipe and ran the recirculation through it above, as in the picture, and that seemed to help quite a bit.

Different question related to mashing in the 10g foundry: I have been mashing 16lb grain bills with 8gallons of water (2qt/lb). Im not sure if changing the water to grain ratio would affect mash/lauter efficiency or not. My thought is that changing the ratio would not affect efficiency but I could be wrong. Ive been getting mash/lauter efficiencies in the mid-high 70s with this. Thoughts?

EDIT: of those 16lb grain bills, it is actually 15.25lbs of grain and 0.75lb (12oz) of rice hulls.

Different question related to mashing in the 10g foundry: I have been mashing 16lb grain bills with 8gallons of water (2qt/lb). Im not sure if changing the water to grain ratio would affect mash/lauter efficiency or not. My thought is that changing the ratio would not affect efficiency but I could be wrong. Ive been getting mash/lauter efficiencies in the mid-high 70s with this. Thoughts?

EDIT: of those 16lb grain bills, it is actually 15.25lbs of grain and 0.75lb (12oz) of rice hulls.

For a 16 lb grain bill, the charts in the Foundry manual call for 7.8 gallons strike water (120v) or 8.2 gallons (240v) for the No-Sparge method. If you plan to sparge, the manual calls for 6.6 gallons (120v) or 7.1 gallons (240v) and then you heat 1 gallon of water and rinse the grains with it after you lift the malt pipe and let it drain.

I don’t think you want to change these ratios too far off of this. Especially if you are getting high 70’s! That’s awesome. Most of us are reporting efficiencies near 68%-70%. If you are using the pump, the extra liquid is there for that.

I do not have the 10. I have the 6.5. But I know my mash set on the one brew I did so far. (I used .5 lb flaked wheat and no rice hulls.) It wasn’t a big deal, I stirred it up as the instructions said and slowed down the pump flow, even though I thought it was already slow. But I noticed during that short stuck period my mash temp which I had set at 150 was being displayed as 157. I am guessing this is because the temp is being measured at or near the bottom and the heating elements are at the bottom. So this makes me wonder what is going on for people who are not using the pump to recirculate during the mash?

I think if we went thicker with the mash it would probably burn or scorch on the bottom. Especially without recirculating with the pump. And thats why they recommend the amounts they do.

Last edited:
For a 16 lb grain bill, the charts in the Foundry manual call for 7.8 gallons strike water (120v) or 8.2 gallons (240v) for the No-Sparge method. If you plan to sparge, the manual calls for 6.6 gallons (120v) or 7.1 gallons (240v) and then you heat 1 gallon of water and rinse the grains with it after you lift the malt pipe and let it drain.

I don’t think you want to change these ratios too far off of this. Especially if you are getting high 70’s! That’s awesome. Most of us are reporting efficiencies near 68%-70%. If you are using the pump, the extra liquid is there for that.

I do not have the 10. I have the 6.5. But I know my mash set on the one brew I did so far. (I used .5 lb flaked wheat and no rice hulls.) It wasn’t a big deal, I stirred it up as the instructions said and slowed down the pump flow, even though I thought it was already slow. But I noticed during that short stuck period my mash temp which I had set at 150 was being displayed as 157. I am guessing this is because the temp is being measured at or near the bottom and the heating elements are at the bottom. So this makes me wonder what is going on for people who are not using the pump to recirculate during the mash?

I think if we went thicker with the mash it would probably burn or scorch on the bottom. Especially without recirculating with the pump. And thats why they recommend the amounts they do.
Yeah I’m well familiar with the manual and it’s recommendations for 5gallons sparge method which is what I do. But these guidelines are based off of 5.5gallons and my losses throughout the process are more at this point so I have adjusted. I wasn’t thinking of going thicker than the guidelines at all. In fact the guidelines for 16lbs show 7.1g for 240v is which is what I’m running on which equates to a 1.75ish ratio is thicker than the 2.0 ratio I’m using. Was just trying to see what opinions are on whether or not this affects efficiency much if at all

Yeah I’m well familiar with the manual and it’s recommendations for 5gallons sparge method which is what I do. But these guidelines are based off of 5.5gallons and my losses throughout the process are more at this point so I have adjusted. I wasn’t thinking of going thicker than the guidelines at all. In fact the guidelines for 16lbs show 7.1g for 240v is which is what I’m running on which equates to a 1.75ish ratio is thicker than the 2.0 ratio I’m using. Was just trying to see what opinions are on whether or not this affects efficiency much if at all

Not sure but I agree with you about losses. I had more than expected on the little 6.5 too. From now on, I’m going to create my “3 gallon” recipes as to collect 4 gallons, boil of .5 gallon and be left with 3.5 gallons to allow for losses. The strainer they have on the back of the valve did a really good job of straining and I think there was maybe 1.5 pints to 2 pints of losses to dead space and trub in the 6.5. Couple that with slightly lower efficiency. I made a blonde ale, shooting for 1.048 and I wound up 1.044 after all was said and done.

Was just trying to see what opinions are on whether or not this affects efficiency much if at all
I don't think changing the ratio to be more qt/lb will impact efficiency that much if all you're doing is a single temp sac rest, especially if you are recirculating. If you do a step mash with an acid rest or gelatinization/protein rest, you'd want a thicker mash to start with.

Not sure but I agree with you about losses. I had more than expected on the little 6.5 too. From now on, I’m going to create my “3 gallon” recipes as to collect 4 gallons, boil of .5 gallon and be left with 3.5 gallons to allow for losses. The strainer they have on the back of the valve did a really good job of straining and I think there was maybe 1.5 pints to 2 pints of losses to dead space and trub in the 6.5. Couple that with slightly lower efficiency. I made a blonde ale, shooting for 1.048 and I wound up 1.044 after all was said and done.
What strainer are you referring to? My valve on kettle simply has a dip tube that can rotate. Not sure if something has changed as far as design of foundry is concerned.

What strainer are you referring to? My valve on kettle simply has a dip tube that can rotate. Not sure if something has changed as far as design of foundry is concerned.

yeah thats the thing I’m talking about. It did a great job leaving all the hop waste and trub behind. I didn’t even rotate it, just left it pointing straight down.

Has anyone using Beersmith 6.5gal profile for the Foundry noticed that it doesn't include recoverable mash deadspace? Wondering if anyone's measured the volume under the malt pipe before I do it myself.

Got this email today:
You asked and we listened! The new small batch adapter ring allows you to brew smaller batches in your Anvil Foundry.

This insert blocks the high flow side perforations on the 10.5 gal Foundry to improve efficiency for small grain bills. Perfect for half batches, or session beers.
  • Easily adapts a 10.5 gallon Foundry to brew 2.5 to 3 gallon batches
  • Blocks side perforations in grain basket
  • Perfect for half batches or session beers
  • Easily installed and removed
  • Stainless steel construction
  • Brew with 4 to 8 pounds of grain
https://www.anvilbrewing.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ANV-Foundry-BA

Waiting to hear how this new liner works for full batches. Hopefully next month my system comes in!
Agreed, although I’ve enjoyed putting my wilserbag in the malt pipe so zero debris gets into boil kettle and those two barbs on the ring would likely tear it. I’ve brewed without the bag twice, first time it went ok as is and had a little debris after mash, second time had more than id prefer. So will likely keep using the bag for me

Question regarding multiple consecutive batch brewing. I am torn between 6.5 and 10.5 model. 6.5 seems more manageable (cleaning, 120V brewing, handling, variety). While still able to brew 2.5- 3 gallon batch of 7%+IPAs.
Here is how I am envisioning a brew day: 1st batch mash/boil as usual. Transfer hot wort to SS fermenter (Anvil 4 glallon or similar) and cool inside fermenter. While wort is cooling, give foundry a quick rinse and start a second batch of another beer with water pre heated on stove to cut heating time.
Is anyone else utilizing similar type approach? Am I missing something?
Thank you in advance for input.

Question regarding multiple consecutive batch brewing. I am torn between 6.5 and 10.5 model. 6.5 seems more manageable (cleaning, 120V brewing, handling, variety). While still able to brew 2.5- 3 gallon batch of 7%+IPAs.
Here is how I am envisioning a brew day: 1st batch mash/boil as usual. Transfer hot wort to SS fermenter (Anvil 4 glallon or similar) and cool inside fermenter. While wort is cooling, give foundry a quick rinse and start a second batch of another beer with water pre heated on stove to cut heating time.
Is anyone else utilizing similar type approach? Am I missing something?
Thank you in advance for input.

Is there any specific reason you would transfer hot wort to the fermenter instead of chilling it first? Assuming the reason is to save time, if you have an immersion chiller, at the very least I'd recommend using it for 1-2 minutes to get the wort under 170 degrees or so. If you transfer right after boil, you'd have to factor in the chilling time when figuring out IBU.

Is there any specific reason you would transfer hot wort to the fermenter instead of chilling it first? Assuming the reason is to save time, if you have an immersion chiller, at the very least I'd recommend using it for 1-2 minutes to get the wort under 170 degrees or so. If you transfer right after boil, you'd have to factor in the chilling time when figuring out IBU.
To save time. 10.5 gallon unit seems massive, aka tall. Wish it was wider.

OK, I just finished up my brew day and for the life of me can't figure out why my OG keeps coming up short even when I hit my mash gravity and pre-boil volumes dead on target. Ive done a water test twice (the first time, I just eye balled it and the second time I was much more precise) and both times I got a 1gallon per hour boil off (Im using 240V). I have noticed that for a couple of brews I seemed to have to boil longer to hit my OG (or at least get within 1 point of it) AND still get my target volume in the fermenter. I have also kept good notes on all post boil losses. So today, at 58minutes into the boil, I shut the power off to measure my volume and it was only 0.75 gallons boiled off! The only thing I can think of affecting my boil off rate when brewing compared to water test is that I get a lot of hot break that lasts about 10 minutes after the boil gets going, but it comes back (much less the thick foam that happens int he beginning, but the "head" comes back nonetheless. So my question is: does hot break lower the boil off rate if you don't "scoop" the hot break material out? This seems the case for me. So Im left with either: 1) adjusting my boil off rate in beer smith to 0.75g per hour OR 2) scooping the foam out to see if this makes a difference. The reason why I haven't scooped the foam out is because I like to use first wort hops when sparging and I don't want to lose some of those hops if stopping the foam out. Thoughts would greatly be appreciated here. Again, Im on 240V where the standard boil off rate with water is 1gallon but for me during brewing it seems to be less.

Are you calibrating or adjusting your equipment you're using to take your readings? I feel like I check and recalibrate my refractometer multiple times during brew day. Temperature can have an effect too.

Are you calibrating or adjusting your equipment you're using to take your readings? I feel like I check and recalibrate my refractometer multiple times during brew day. Temperature can have an effect too.
Yes, before I use my refractometer on wort I always make sure it is calibrated with distilled water. Everytime its properly zerod out prior to taking wort measurement. I do think though that Im coming up short on OG (based on beer smith calcs) is because of how beer smith calculates it. If I take my pre-boil volume, gravity, and put in 1 gallon less for ending volume in brewers friend calculator, it always shows about 2 points less than beer smith's predicted OG. So I think theres some "behind the scenes" calculations I don't fully understand in beer smith too. For example, when you adjust the post-boil losses in beer smith such as "cooling shrinkage" and/or "trub losses", the estimated mash gravity actually changes which isn't logical to me but I know beer smith "backward calculates" these estimates based on brewhouse efficiency.

Total N00b question, but I haven't seen it yet, can you do a 5 gallon partial mash brew in the 6.5?

Here's my situation, I make meads, so all my cold side stuff is well covered (CF10, Flex+, carboys, ...) nearly all the decent Gluten free beer recipes are all grain. But I have 0 hot side equipment to make it.

I don't drink a ton of beer (besides, I have about 30 gallons of mead hanging about.) But there are times when you just want a good porter, or brown ale, or.... I expect 3 gallon batches will be more than adequate, but on the odd occasion that I want to make a partial extract that doesn't halve easily, is it possible?

Total N00b question, but I haven't seen it yet, can you do a 5 gallon partial mash brew in the 6.5?

Here's my situation, I make meads, so all my cold side stuff is well covered (CF10, Flex+, carboys, ...) nearly all the decent Gluten free beer recipes are all grain. But I have 0 hot side equipment to make it.

I don't drink a ton of beer (besides, I have about 30 gallons of mead hanging about.) But there are times when you just want a good porter, or brown ale, or.... I expect 3 gallon batches will be more than adequate, but on the odd occasion that I want to make a partial extract that doesn't halve easily, is it possible?
A "partial mash" IS brewing a smaller volume/grain bill to which you add extract at flameout. Then top up with cold water in the fermenter.

So for a 5 gallon partial mash recipe you can mash and boil the 2.5-3 gallons worth in a 6.5 gallon Anvil. Add hops and other additives as if you're brewing 5 gallons. After adding your malt extract at flameout, chilling, and transferring to your fermenter, top it up with water to your desired volume and gravity.

So for a 5 gallon partial mash recipe you can mash and boil the 2.5-3 gallons worth in a 6.5 gallon Anvil. Add hops and other additives as if you're brewing 5 gallons. After adding your malt extract at flameout, chilling, and transferring to your fermenter, top it up with water to your desired volume and gravity.
Let me not forget to say, this is a basic partial mash routine. It can be changed and adapted where you see fit, either to suit your ingredients, recipe, process, beer style, etc.

For example:
When brewing a Stout or Porter (or any other dark beer) you could add all the roasted grains in your partial mash (watch out they don't lower your mash pH too far). Or add only a small portion or none, and steep the rest of the dark grain separately, to be added to the boiled wort later. Or add the roasted grain at the end of the mash, before sparging. Etc.

When brewing IPAs with hopstands/whirlpool hops added after the boil, at reduced temps (after chilling the wort a bit), either add and dissolve your extracts there. Or dissolve separately in a pot with hot or near boiling water. Maintain 160F for at least 10-15 minutes to pasteurize, before chilling down further and adding to the fermenter directly.

I think that your answers have helped me narrow down the choice. I was looking hard at things like the UniBrau, and Clawhammer, and the latest Spike e-BIAB systems, but at <$1000 entry, it was getting prohibitive.

While the difference between the 2 Foundry systems is only $90, $400 is a lot easier to come up with than $500, and it sounds like I would very rarely use the extra space (and $600 buys several kits and 60lb buckets of honey). Looking into the hot side connections, as all my cold side stuff is Tri-Clamp, and it looks like the hot side standard is cam locks? Is there a way to upgrade the valve/dip tube assembly on the Foundry to a 3 or 4 piece ball lock valve instead of the included valve? Or to attach a welded Tri-clamp fitting there?

$600 buys several kits
Many recipe kits seem too expensive to me, costing more than the ingredients would if bought in bulk. Those that do go on deep sales can be excellent bargains, such as NB used to have, buy 3 all-grain kits for $60, with free shipping. It's hard to beat that, and you can always add some extra malts and hops to them if you want.

For low gravity recipes, you could probably get 4-5 gallons out of the 6.5 gallon unit without adding any extract, just by diluting after the boil. The limit of the unit seems to lie around 8 pounds, which is good for 4-5 gallons of session ales and many lagers under 1.045. You'd brew 3 gallons at 1.076 with 8 pounds of grist, and end up with 5 gallons (after diluting) at 1.046.

With recirculation your mash efficiency should be high, 80-85% I'd say. Maybe do a little dunk sparge.

Latest posts

Back