Ant in my starter/yeast culturer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undallas

Reaction score
I'm culturing more pacman from a dead guy ale with malta mix. It is starting to bubble well right now, but I notice a tiny ant floating on top of the krausen bubbles... Is this ok? or is it just additional food for my yeast....

I searched the forum, but I didn't see too many people have ant problem like I do.

thanks

I had a fruit fly get through an airlock into a starter I was making for a cider. I didn't notice any ill effects.

If the starter starts smelling bad then I wouldn't use it.

Same, I had this tiny sugar ant problem. There were 2 in my airlock one day when I woke up. I wondered if there were more in the primary. Not sure if there were more and maybe some got in to the fermenter. I never really knew. So i initially had water in the airlock, I switched it to cheap vodka. No more ants came near it after that. The beer was a brown ale, It came out good, but for all I know there could have been ants in it.

I have this exact same problem with ants in my airlock. It's a three-piece airlock and I don't think they can make it through the liquid to get into the beer. But I'm switching to cheap vodka in the airlock now, too. It's summer here, so we seem to get a lot of ants in the house searching for water. Mine is also a brown ale, so I can't see if ants got in the beer, but I somehow think they didn't because they all died in the airlock from lack of oxygen (high CO2 environment in the airlock).

It wont kill you. Some cultures use ants in their cuisine.

Just name it 'Dead Ant Ale' and enjoy lol.

Back