ANOTHER weldless valve thread...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irish1225

Reaction score
Hey all

Been lurking and reading posts but haven't posted lately :(

I picked up a new boil kettle - 10.5 gallon Polar Ware with the hole drilled for a valve. The HBS I picked it up at had sold the valve parts and had to order them and send them to me after purchase. Problem is, they just sent me a ball valve.

So I spent some time yesterday at Home Depot getting the other parts using "schematics" I found at bargainfittings and Northern Brewer. I ended up getting:

Brass 1/2" male to male coupler
A pack of 1/2" locking nuts in the electrical department
A pack of 1/2" graduating washers in the electrical department
A pack of Danco rubber 1/2" o rings

And I'm concerned about the metal used in the electrical fittings and the rubber o rings... Are electrical parts just nickle? And does nickle leave off-flavors? And will the rubber o rings stand up to a propane flame at least through one 1-hour boiling?

I plan on replacing it all with a set at bargainfittings but I had plans to brew today and was hoping I could use the new pot today!

The washer and nuts may mess you up a bit. I don't know though because I've never used anything other than stainless steel. I'm sure someone here has some advice to share.
The orings however I would be very careful with! I personally would wait for some high temp orings, but if you can't wait I'd for sure boil a kettle of water first and at least test them out that way. Prior to trying it with wort for sure.
Good luck!

you will be fine, i used some of the same stuff in my first batch til my bargain fittings stuff came, no issues. my only concern was if the orings could handle the heat, they were fine

Thanks for the confidence, sadly I'm already boiling and decided to just stick-it-out one more time with the aluminum turkey fryer pot.

Even after using this pot countless times I still freak out at how full it gets with 6 gallons in there lol :-O

Back