Another water question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNickVT

Reaction score
So I'm brewing up a HF Abner clone here soon. I'm using the BYO magazine recipe. Now I'm using Poland spring water and the recipe calls for 50 ppm chloride and sulfate level. I've tried using a calculator but obviously can not figure it out. Please help, thanks!!

You can get the mineral content of Poland Spring water from page 4 of this pdf. I'll use the average of the range given in that document for lack of a better idea.

Ca 6.55 ppm
Mg 1.21 ppm
Na 4.7 ppm
Cl 6 ppm
SO4 5.8 ppm
HCO3 14.75ppm

Enter them along with your grain bill into the EZ Water spreadsheet. You can then mess around with the mineral additions in step 4a and 4b to get the desired mineral content while keeping the Mash pH within your desired range. More on EZ Water in the author's thread here.

Using 5 gallons of water, the spreadsheet will read 51ppm Cl with 1.75 grams of CaCl2. And 51 ppm So4 with 2.2 grams of MgSO4.

As to the wisdom of doing this, and what it will do to your beer, I hope the experts will advise.

Back