Another water question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col_klink

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm getting ready to make the jump to all-grain within the next few weeks. I have been doing partial-mash in a bag. At least I thought I was until i started reading about water profiles :(
I am on well water water and currently have do not have a water profile for my water. It might be some time before I can justify to the wife spending the money to get the water tested.
So my question is, if I use distilled water from the grocery store, will I be able to brew whatever I want or does distilled water still require some adjustments?
Also, I am a little confused about distilled water vs. RO water. Is one preferred over the other? I am hoping to find a way to start doing all-grain without having to make adjustments to the water/mash. Maybe that is not even possible but I figured I would ask. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Klink

Distilled or reverse osmosis water from the store works great! RO water is cheaper, generally, as it comes in those big "water machines" in the grocery store or in places like Wal-mart. I think I paid $1.78 for 4 gallons or something like that.

You will need a bit of calcium chloride- you can order that or pick it up at any homebrew store- at a minimum.

Here's a brief primer on that: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/brewing-water-chemistry-primer-198460/

Water testing is $26 at Ward Lab for the tests you need for brewing.

Thanks for the info Yooper. I see ward labs is in Nebraska....would the sample still viable after being sent all the way from NC? That is half the price that my county would charge.

The water sample won't change during shipping. Ward labs is highly recommended (and needed). I used it and discovered that using my supplied water is better for trace elements than using local spring water.
You may find that using your well water mixed with RO water is best for you, but you need a starting point.

Latest posts

Back