Another Texas Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reinheitsgebot

Reaction score
After browsing this Board for weeks, asking a few stupid noob questions and having my first batch sitting on yeast for 6 days now - I guess it is time for introductions.

I live in Kingwood (Houston) Texas. I am not from here, my job brought me here. I am from Munich, Germany originally (hence the name) and landed here after many, many detours.

Besides drinking (and now brewing) BEER, I enjoy cooking, grilling and BBQing all kinds of good food from around the world.

Thanks to all for a fantastic set of information. This Board will keep me going for a long time.

Prost!

Wilkommen!

I was born and live in Texas, but had the good fortune of living in your wonderful country for a few years in the Army (stationed near Stuttgart). The time I spent there was a powerful and postive influence on my life.

I brought back a taste for weizen and that's what got me started brewing.

I hope the heat and humidity in Houston doesn't scare you away. :)

I have been here 4 years now, and Florida before that. The heat (or more so the sun) is my friend. I am solar powered.

I was stationed near Stuttgart, too. Were you in the barracks just off the Stuttgart Airport? We used to work with those guys a lot.

Weissbier is my favorite, too. I'd love to get some good recipes! A Franziskaner Hell or Dunkel clone would be my dream!!!

Welcome aboard. Tell all your German friends we have beer other than Budweiser over here, we are getting a bad rep!

Welcome aboard. Tell all your German friends we have beer other than Budweiser over here, we are getting a bad rep!

Funny thing ( or very sad) a lot of my German buddies drink Bud because it is something different.
But I do believe they have to sell it in a different section of the beer store, because of all the other crap they put into it.
Now, of course, the real Bud is a totally different story!

Guten Morgen

Kinda off thread, but you dont know any LHBS near Kaiserslautern Germany do you? It would be great to not have to ship everything from the states/interweb.

Thanks.

and Willkommen to the board. (sadly that just about used up all my "german" :snark: )

Welcome! I can't believe your user name was not taken.... unbelievable.

I think you will find many members of the board here with some good experience brewing German styles. I am about to start my lagerhaus after brewing ales for 4 years. I am excited to be a new brewer again.

Welcome! I can't believe your user name was not taken.... unbelievable.

I think you will find many members of the board here with some good experience brewing German styles. I am about to start my lagerhaus after brewing ales for 4 years. I am excited to be a new brewer again.

It will be ales for me for a while. Lack of refrigerator space to properly ferment (Texas summer is just around the corner) is the big one. Plus I prefer dark ales, reds and Helles and Dunkles Weissbier best anyway.....

I was stationed near Stuttgart, too. Were you in the barracks just off the Stuttgart Airport?

I was stationed in Scwaebisch Gmuend, about 40km east of Stuttgart, if I remember the geography correctly. It was a small city with a goldsmithing background.

Weissbier is my favorite, too. I'd love to get some good recipes! A Franziskaner Hell or Dunkel clone would be my dream!!!

I usually aim for around 1.050 using 2/3rds 2row, 1/3rd wheat (flaked or malted, depending on what I have) and a bit of crystal. The wheat malt versions seem smoother and maltier, and the flaked weizen versions seem a bit grainier. Maybe I am imagining it. I use 3068 cultures for weizen and for Ed's ApfelWein variants.

There are others who are much better at recipe design than I am. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

View attachment batch10weizen.xml

Welcome!

My mother is from the Munich area, Landshut to be exact. (My uncle brought me some Hallertau on his visit to the states last fall!) Also, my wife is from the Houston area (Conroe).

Like you, the Bavarian Weiss is my favorite and was the driving force for my entry into brewing. Loves me some Ayinger!

So we have a few things in common though we've never met.

Again, welcome. You'll find the folks here very knowledgeable, opinionated, and friendly. I know I have.

Howdy (that's how we say hello in TX) ;)

I'm hoping my next assignment will be in Germany (USAF). I think it would be an awesome experience for the family.

Landshut is close, and a very cool medieval town. Full of great restaurants with great beers.

I work with a ton of people that were/are stationed over there. Everyone loves the Germany assignments. Heck, most of them quit and won't come back......

I am going to Munich in June - can't wait for lots of Franziskaner.....

Back