Another Secondary Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LucaBrasi

Reaction score
I've read countless threads about transferring to a Secondary Fermentation Vessel v/s leaving it in the Primary, and I understand that the (relatively) new consensus is that Secondary's are largely unneeded, except under very specific circumstances.

I found a bit more research on the web mentioning that Secondary's can be a good idea for Extract recipes and also if you plan to bottle (rather than keg). So now I'm 4 days into my primary fermentation and I'm not sure what the hell to do.

Specifics (I don't know if these are important, but what the hell)
- The recipe I brewed last Friday was an English Nut Brown Ale, partial mash with an Amber Malt extract (in a can).
- I created a yeast starter on the stove per the instructions
- Fermentation started within a couple hours (per the air lock going bananas) but the air lock activity has just about stopped all together)
- I'm using a bucket as my Primary fermenter, and have an empty glass carboy available
- I will be bottling the batch into 22 ounce bottles once it's good and ready

I was back at the LHBS today, and the lady there said I should definitely do a Secondary and to not believe everything I read online. :-( So what should I do guys?

That woman obviously isn't aware of the newer procedures in the home brewing world. Sounds more to me like she's the one not to be listened to. They probably still think the yeast is dead when it settles,& you must remove the beer ASAP,or suffer a horrible fate at the hands of the beer gods. Leave it in primary till you get a stable FG over 3 days. Then give it 3 to 5 days more to clean up & settle out more. You can then dry hop or prime & bottle.

That woman obviously isn't aware of the newer procedures in the home brewing world. Sounds more to me like she's the one not to be listened to. They probably still think the yeast is dead when it settles,& you must remove the beer ASAP,or suffer a horrible fate at the hands of the beer gods. Leave it in primary till you get a stable FG over 3 days. Then give it 3 to 5 days more to clean up & settle out more. You can then dry hop or prime & bottle.

+1
and it kills me to listen to the folks on my LHBS giving wrong info to the newbies, suggesting the wrong equipment, wrong ingredients and wrong procedures.
Stick to this forum. The amount of knowledge here is enormous.

Is it needed...no. Will it help to clear and clean up the beer a bit..yes. Its entirely up to you and how much cleaning of equipment you want to do.

So no truth to the benefits of Secondary's with extract recipes and bottling?

Beer is beer, regardless of whether it is made from extract bought from a maltser, or extract we make ourselves. You don't do some things for AG beers that you wouldn't do for extract and vice versa.

I started the "no secondary" while I was only brewing extract with grains. And the benefits that I find (clarity, brightness, tight yeast cake, flavor) are the same regardless or whether or not it was an extract or ag batch.

And I've only ever bottled.

(Maybe she needs to read some of the more state of the art, updated brewing information that can be found on the internet, especially on a cite where over 40,000 brewers contribute, and share information. She might learn something. ;))

Ok- Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate your help. I'm going to leave it alone, and for the second batch I brew this weekend, I'll just use my carboy with a blowoff tube.

Thanks again!

I've gotten some very clear beers without ever using a secondary to do so. Only used one once when oaking my Whiskely Ale. Just come up with a good process that works for you,& have patience. Knowledge & patience go a long way with home brewing. Now if I just wouldn't have read that gout thread...

Ok- Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate your help. I'm going to leave it alone, and for the second batch I brew this weekend, I'll just use my carboy with a blowoff tube.

Thanks again!

That, or if you want to use the same yeast for the second brew, transfer to secondary to get to the yeast. I do this often - typically racking the beer to another bucket in my case - and then scooping out and pitching the appropriate amount of yeast (thanks Mr. Malty) into the newly created wort.

Latest posts

Back