Another question infection thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IvanTheTerribrew

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have brewed for about 2 years and luckily still no infections. I brewed up a caribou slobber kit with someone who wants to learn how to brew probably a month ago and I once in a while still hear bubbles from the airlock. I opened up the lid and this is what it looks like on top. Normal yeast rafts or you think I may have an infection growing in?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409412926.344903.jpg

- ISM NRP

From the one picture, that does not look like yeast rafts. I think you have an infection in there.
Is that a plastic pail or what?
If metal or glass, it can be cleaned out, and resanitized.
If plastic, I don't know that I'd trust it for regular brews again.
In either case, if you don't need the fermenter space immediately, maybe give it a little more time and see what might shake out; you could end up with something tasty.

Looks more like yeast that has broken away from the sides of your fermentor. Was the fermentor moved or jostled recently?

Kindof, it was moved out of a fridge but not recently. Even after I opened the lid for those pictures and few minutes later it was bubbling like every 5-10 mins or so.

- ISM NRP

Kindof, it was moved out of a fridge but not recently. Even after I opened the lid for those pictures and few minutes later it was bubbling like every 5-10 mins or so.

- ISM NRP

I would say it is very probable the disturbance released CO2 from the cake and the CO2 carried yeast up with it as your beer degassed.

Looks like an infection to me. I forget which one does that floating iceberg appearance, lacto? Should be able to find it in the "post your infection" thread.

i say infection. rack it asap but leave that behind and it'll probably be ok. I had one of those not too long ago and was also CS, beer ended up being really good

That broken ice pack lookin' stuff is a dead giveaway for lactobacillus. I had that in a batch of my Maori IPA once & it'll only get worse from here. If it's done, rack out from under it & package. Leaving beers with a head space for too long can allow it to get in from suck backs & the like. Mine came out pretty good, as the fruity/slightly sour thing mixed well with the flavors from the NZ hops. Clean the bucket well & sanitize.

Thar broken ice pack lookin' stuff is a dead giveaway for lactobacillus. I had that in a batch of my Maori IPA once & it'll only get worse from here. If it's done, rack out from under it & package. Mine came out pretty good, as the fruity/slightly sour thing mixed well with the flavors from the NZ hops. Clean the bucket well & sanitize.

Will do. Thanks everyone

- ISM NRP

Latest posts

Back