Another Panel question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNatural

The Original, beware of imposters.
Reaction score
First, thanks to the fine folks here for the info, experience and inspiration they provide.
Moving on....Ok, trying to go from zero to beero at the speed of light and took time off from single tier build, hop planting, mill motorizing and keg polishing to inventory/layout accumulated components of control panel.

Plan is single tier, two pump HERMS, with removable elements for use with propane. Main use will be 50A electric with two additional 25A SSRs for the ASCO valves when on gas, or use for ferm control.

Today's fork in the road is heat sink related. I've seen folks who DIN mount them with fans, but I'm not keen on heat in confined space.
My 40A have heat sinks and was pondering sandwiching the "hatch" between SSR and heat sink, thermal paste both sides, and do same for 25A with another $15 heat sinks for them.

Then, I picked up a couple of heat sinks by-the-pound at local fastener place for $12 each. They don't seem to be "hatch" friendly, and it looks easier (better) to mount them on the solid end, clearance enclosure for SSR and attach the heat sinks however I want.

So, my notion is to put "hatch" on bottom for in/out connections, and heat sinks screwed to top with SSRs mounted to heat sink through cutouts.

Opinions, options?

Thanks, Dale

panel0001.jpg

panel0002.jpg

As long as you can fit it everything on the gland plate, I'd go for it. I also put my heatsinks on the top and plan to actually use the gland plate.

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

Gland plate (sounds like a medical procedure), learn something new everyday.
By everything, do you mean the in/out, or SSRs? Thinking SSRs would be cramped at best (since I have six), and using solid end I could drill/mount heat sinks without regard to gland mounting holes.

Sweet looking unit BTW, what size enclosure is that?

20x16"

The reason most people put the heatsink on the gland plate side is because their connectors are too big to fit on there. If you can fit all of your connectors on the plate you should be fine.

I assume you wouldnt have any problem fitting on the opposite side.

I would vote against sandwiching. The thermal conductivity from the SSR-paste-plate-paste-heat sink will never be as good as SSR-paste-heatsink. Will it make a difference? Maybe, maybe not... but if you can do it the right way, you should

Thanks gents. Will abandon the sandwich idea and measure twice, mangle gland once.

Back