another paintball tank question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drinkdrankpunk

Reaction score
Sorry I'm sure this has been bought up but I couldn't find the answer I was looking for. I am wanting to build a small kegerator to last me the next year til I move back to the states. I am looking to pick up a few 3 gal kegs and possibly just using a couple of paintball tanks to push them.
The question is can I carb with a paintball tank or will that pretty much use the whole tank to carb? Or can I just prime and carb with sugar in the keg then just serve with the paintball tank?

You can prime and carb with sugar, but only need half the sugar from what I recall reading (you still want to seat the lid with a shot of co2). I would prime with sugar to avoid using up a ton of co2 if you go the paintball tank route.
I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me can give you more input.

I have 4 kegs (2.5-3 gal), with a 20 oz paintball tank. I think you can carb and serve 4+ kegs with that. It does run out sooner than you want, but it works. I'll upgrade to a bigger tank soon, but it works.

I have a full keg set up in storage back in the states with 5# tanks and regulators and valves and all kinds of extra parts, but I am stationed overseas right now so I just want something small and easy to last me a year and a half til im back. Plus I can get the paintball tanks filled on post.i think that sounds like it will work for me. Thanks for the help everyone.

FYI. When I burst carb a 5 gallon batch I use a 20oz paintball cylinder that I can weigh on my "hop scale" before and after. I usually shoot for about 1.5oz.

Back