Another Noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newnick

Reaction score
Been brewing a while now and other than using gypsom a time or two I haven't worried about the water much. I've used tap water and distilled water without worrying about it's effect on the finished beer. I'd like to start using a calculator such as Brunwater and start with distilled water as the base water. What basic chemicals will I need to have on hand to be able to make the adjustments I'll need to make?

• Gypsum
  • Calcium Chloride
  • Epsom Salt (maybe)
  • Baking Soda (sodium bicarbonate)
  • Lactic or Phosphoric Acid

Brew on :mug:

I suggest adding non-iodized table salt to that list.
Under what conditions would you want to intentionally add Na, or what conditions would CaCl add too much Ca in order to get the desired amount of Cl? Are there any other reasons for adding NaCl? I'm just above noob level with water chemistry, so looking to learn a little more.

Brew on :mug:

Sodium can be very beneficial to beer flavor. For pale beers, Na should generally be below 40 ppm. But for darker styles, Na is very desirable. I've found that less than 100 ppm is pretty pleasant.

Why isn't potassium hydroxide usually considered?
Given the malt provides plenty of K, it would appear to me KOH would be almost a "free" way of adding alkalinity ...

Is it because it not readily available or is too dangerous to handle?

Thanks

KOH is extremely caustic. I use it in my research lab at work with the same caution I use NaOH (lye). Way too dangerous and easy too powerful. You would make your pH way too basic if you added even a smidge too much.

KOH is extremely caustic. I use it in my research lab at work with the same caution I use NaOH (lye). Way too dangerous and easy too powerful. You would make your pH way too basic if you added even a smidge too much.

Oh, i see.
What about if you were to make a 0.1N solution or even lower? Still not worthy?
The same goes from H2SO4, at what concentration becomes more manageable for home brewers?

Oh, i see.
What about if you were to make a 0.1N solution or even lower? Still not worthy?
The same goes from H2SO4, at what concentration becomes more manageable for home brewers?

Phosphoric acid is probably more manageable. H2SO4 must be food grade for use in brewing and at a very diluted state. It adds sulfates also which may or may not be wanted in the beer depending on the style. As far as hydroxides... you'd have to be insane. Go drink some oven cleaner and tell me how that works out. They're extremely basic and you want your mash to be more on the acidic side anyway.

As far as hydroxides... you'd have to be insane. Go drink some oven cleaner and tell me how that works out. They're extremely basic and you want your mash to be more on the acidic side anyway.

Oh come on now. The difference between medicine and poison is often "dose" and this is a case in point. While I don't use lye or KOH in my brewing, I could (as long as the chemical was food-grade), I do use slaked lime (CaOH) and that isn't a problem. Hydroxides are OK in brewing...in very small doses.

Oh come on now. The difference between medicine and poison is often "dose" and this is a case in point. While I don't use lye or KOH in my brewing, I could (as long as the chemical was food-grade), I do use slaked lime (CaOH) and that isn't a problem. Hydroxides are OK in brewing...in very small doses.

Do you keep your lime in solution for easy dousing or just weight the amount?

Thanks

Do you keep your lime in solution for easy dousing or just weight the amount?

Thanks

I have been weighing out lime additions and adding the solid directly to the mash. However, lime does have a problem...it does degrade back into chalk over time. It is very difficult to know what your lime purity actually is!

Creating a limewater (kalkwasser) solution that is a supersaturated solution of lime and water is probably the best way to assure the dosing of alkalinity. Unfortunately, I haven't run through the calculations and included that option in Bru'n Water...yet. Then we brewers could be more certain of delivering the alkalinity dose we need in our mash.

Well, I tested the waters over the weekend. (pun intended) I believe I understood how to use the Brunwater calculator and it was interesting to see how different things effected the profile. I did a batch that I've done several times already without concern of the water profile. This batch seemed as though it kicked off a lot sooner with airlock activity. I know your not suppose to rely on airlock activity to be a good indication of fermentation but it is, what it is.

You're right, the Norwegians do make lutefisk with it. I like to err on the side of caution with dangerous chemicals and suggesting a newbie to go ahead and 'mix it up' without knowing if they understand what they're doing is past my comfort level. I could have stated that better than to say "you're effin crazy". :mug:

EDIT: Not to suggest that OP is a noob.

Hey, don't take that away from me!
The good thing about being a noob is that you can make noob questions without shame. I shall remain in this status for years to come. :rockin:

OK!!! You're a noob! It even says "Another Noob question" in the title. :mug:

We're all noobs in one way or another. If someone thinks they know everything then they won't be able to advance. That's the beauty of this forum. I think everyone can glean some information off of everyone else no matter the level of experience.

Back