Another new guy.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever found such an interesting hobby. I've stopped by the forums a couple times to read up on a few things, but I haven't really said much since I'm still learning.

I've been home brewing since December, and will be brewing batch number four next weekend. So far, I've stuck with kits, but I'm going to try to change that with the next batch.

I originally found the site through a search for graham cracker extract. I was really surprised when I found that the search results were actually for the beer that I was wanting to make, Graham Cracker Porter from Morgan Street Brewery in St. Louis.

I'm really looking forward to becoming an active member here on the site.

Welcome to the group...I havent brewed the graham cracker porter you are talking about, but I do brew a graham cracker ale...so after you brew this porter et me know if the recipe is any good so I can give it a try!
Happy Brewing!

Welcome to the community and the hobby/obsession! Where about are you in St Louis? I'm in Lake St Louis. Just brewed yesterday, with a periodic jump in the pool :)

I went to all-grain pretty quickly after starting, got a keggle setup and everything, but since then, have simplified and now usually just do BIAB - Brew in a Bag. It's a great way to do all-grain without all the extra hassle(mash tuns, extra pots etc). Just get a turkey fryer(usually they come with a decent size kettle) and make a bag from voile fabric at walmart and you're good to go. You'll just need to have your grains crushed until you get a malt mill.

Let me know if you ever have any questions. Of course there is a ton of information on this site about BIAB and everything in between!

You should definitely check out the local clubs. STLBrews and GarageBrewers (StCharles/Ofallon). Good people sharing homebrews and talking about brewing in general.

I'd also love to hear the turn-out of this graham cracker porter!!

Cheers :mug:

Welcome to the group...I havent brewed the graham cracker porter you are talking about, but I do brew a graham cracker ale...so after you brew this porter et me know if the recipe is any good so I can give it a try!
Happy Brewing!

How did you get your graham cracker flavor? I talked to Mark over at Morgan Street and he mentioned that he used a non-fermentable graham cracker extract. He also mentioned that he didn't need to use very much at all for a full gallon batch. I do have a place that is local that can get the same extract, but only in quantities of 4 gallons and up, which would allow me to flavor everything I make, food included, with graham cracker for the next several years.

Welcome to the community and the hobby/obsession! Where about are you in St Louis? I'm in Lake St Louis. Just brewed yesterday, with a periodic jump in the pool :)

I went to all-grain pretty quickly after starting, got a keggle setup and everything, but since then, have simplified and now usually just do BIAB - Brew in a Bag. It's a great way to do all-grain without all the extra hassle(mash tuns, extra pots etc). Just get a turkey fryer(usually they come with a decent size kettle) and make a bag from voile fabric at walmart and you're good to go. You'll just need to have your grains crushed until you get a malt mill.

Let me know if you ever have any questions. Of course there is a ton of information on this site about BIAB and everything in between!

You should definitely check out the local clubs. STLBrews and GarageBrewers (StCharles/Ofallon). Good people sharing homebrews and talking about brewing in general.

I'd also love to hear the turn-out of this graham cracker porter!!

Cheers :mug:

I live out near Six Flags, so down I-44. I will definitely look into the BIAB. I should start to have some extra time to look into the clubs and get some more brew time in now that I've just finished my 8 years with the National Guard.

I got my Graham cracker flavor from mashing in a 1pound of Graham crackers....I would be concerned with using non-fermentable Graham crackers, and would recommend that you put some in a grain bag and do a partial mash with all natural Graham crackers...but that's just me!

Welcome to the fold! Shorts brewing make s a few beers with graham cracker in it and they are def interesting.

I got my Graham cracker flavor from mashing in a 1pound of Graham crackers....I would be concerned with using non-fermentable Graham crackers, and would recommend that you put some in a grain bag and do a partial mash with all natural Graham crackers...but that's just me!

He was using a non-fermentable graham cracker flavor extract. I think the real thing would work out really well, and a lot cheaper.

Back