Another Mr Malty Pitching Calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam78K

Reaction score
Sorry for another question's but I'm very unsure about some of the steps. I was doing a lager requiring 420 billion yeast cells for my beer. I have a 5L flask so can I just pitch 1 vial of yeast in 4.82 L starter to give me the proper pitching rate or would I need to steep it up?

Also I have the options to pitch 2 vials into 1.94 starter. Would I just pitch those 2 vials into the starter as one step or have to build two separate ones? Any help would be awesome guys, thank you so much.

Either way would be fine. Pitch both vials at the same time if you go the 2 vial route.

If you make a 5L starter, you will certainly want to cold crash it and decant. With 2L, it's more of a personal preference.

I was doing a lager requiring 420 billion yeast cells for my beer. I have a 5L flask so can I just pitch 1 vial of yeast in 4.82 L starter to give me the proper pitching rate or would I need to steep it up?

4.82L in a 5L flask might be a bit of a problem...you'll probably want to do that in two steps if you go with one vial.

If I had foam control and stir plate should be room but you guys know better than i do

If I had foam control and stir plate should be room but you guys know better than i do

It depends on the flask and what they mean by 5L. For some, the listed volume capacity takes you all the way up to the rim. Others (most?), the listed capacity would fill the flask about 2/3rds of the way up. I make 2L starters in my 2L flask, but the thing actually holds closer to 3L. Foam control will be necessary.

Back